So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

"Then for the Camaro I welded most of the top seam on the sub frame. I hope it didn't get tweeked from too much heat. I ran small beads and jumped side to side, quenching them with a bucket of water and a rag."

Well since Damon mentioned switching from side to side and quenching it, I'd say the answer to that is "NO" James!

Last edited by 1971BB427; 07-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like I'm in the minority on your painting Damon! I prefer the satin or semigloss black, but most people like body color.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:40 PM
2nd Gear member

I went with body color but honestly imo I think carbon fiber (like that kind that you can wranp around stuff) would look pretty good but that would be a major pain to put on.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by james hellsing
I went with body color but honestly imo I think carbon fiber (like that kind that you can wranp around stuff) would look pretty good but that would be a major pain to put on.
I think I just threw up a little.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Overdrive Member

I like the black for the same reasons you do Val. Hiding gring that will inevitably end up on there. Small spills from filling the oil. Oil soaked air being pushed our of the breathers is the worst. Once the oil is on there, dust clings to it.

Painted looks modern. The silver will be a good contrast to the black frame and black G bars. I would through it little touches of red here and there too. Plug wires, springs, MSD, and my wire wrap. Have you guys ever heard of Heli-Tube ? It is a spiral wound wrap that is a much cleaner easier way to hold wires, the factory wrap is crunchy and brittle after a while.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by Hotchkis
77Nomad – Before you go welding up the seams, just in case you don’t know, you can tweak your subframe really easily if you don’t know the tricks to doing it.
If you are going to weld the seams, only weld a couple of inches at a time per area. Move around from the frame and let each area cool before continuing in the same area again. Don’t start on one seam and keep welding it until you’re done, you’ll soak the metal with heat, warp it, and weld it in a warped state.
Many GM frames and subframes have questionable welding and some very limited welding on some. It’s not a bad idea to weld the seams. Just make sure you’re doing it right.
Great idea, I'll keep that in mind.

Last edited by 77nomad; 07-08-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
I like the black for the same reasons you do Vall. Hiding gring that will inevitably end up on there. Small spills from filling the oil. Oil soaked air being pushed our of the breathers is the worst. Once the oil is on there, dust clings to it.

Painted looks modern. The silver will be a good contrast to the black frame and black G bars. I would through it little touches of red here and there too. Plug wires, springs, MSD, and my wire wrap. Have you guys ever heard of Heli-Tube ? It is a spiral wound wrap that is a much cleaner easier way to hold wires, the factory wrap is crunchy and brittle after a while.
I've used Heli-Tube on the job before, and had it on my car once too. It really holds the wires together, but it leaves gaps where you can see the various colored wire insulation, and it takes forever to install. I got tired of wrapping the whole length of wrap around the wires with each turn. Also a pain to add any wires, as you have to unwrap the whole thing to add wire.
I went with the black corrugated tube when I cleaned things up, as it's easy to install, and black is less conspicuous. Colored tube just jumps out at you, and I don't care for the look of anything but black.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Overdrive Member

I agree it can be a pain. I used to clean up my desk top PC. Evertime I got a ew device it was hell getting it installed. I'm plain used to working with it I guess. It is everywhere in my shop.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Overdrive Member

I think Heli Tube will help med with the no nonsense race car feel I'm after. I was actually counting on fact you can see the wires through the tube. It makes probing each wire easy. I just don't like convoluted sheathing. The factory stuff is so brittle after a few years it crumbles. I had the aftermarket stuff in my old Honda Civic. I had EVERYTHING covered in yellow. It was ugly now that I look back on it, yes I had a ricer. It was stock except for the stereo. The exhaust fell off and the stupid kids kept asking what muffler I was running.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Overdrive Member

No work on the Camaro this weekend. My buddy is coming over to finish the C-notch on his pickup. He's been driving around for a week half done.

I also am tearing down a basketball hoop for the kids. It had an ancient Gatorade logo on it and the pole was rusty. It stripped it and started painting with good old Rustolem. I got it in quarts and used my spray guy to lay it down. It really helped with getting the gun dialed in and my hand speed under control. Looks nice so far.

The primer I've been spraying is way thick and I have to open the fluid tip big time. Plus crank up the air, giving me nice orange peel.

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)