So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Welding the "seams" on a subframe is mostly for looks. (I call them joints myself) This is the overlap where the parts are welded together at the factory, and if the factory welds look good, then welding the joints wont do much to add strength, but if they are questionable (like some are!) it will help a lot.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Overdrive Member

I can post some pics of my lack of weld frame. I did it to stiffen up the front. With my suspension and the right rubber it can cause all kinds of flex. My electronics teacher was the project manager for the machine that assembled the early frames, he says the later ones were built by GM. Mine has areas longer than 18" without any welds at all.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

It sure wont hurt if they left those kinds of gaps between welds. Probably was just fine for a stock Camaro, but not so much for where your's is headed.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Overdrive Member

I've asked the question to death. Mary Pozzi told me it wouldn't hurt to leave it but doing it sure wouldn't hurt. I don't think her car is welded. The guy who sold me the suspension, Dave from PTFB says yes weld it. So I have a champion drive saying one thing and the manufacturer telling me another.

My teacher said the were not crimped of a press fit in any way. The two halfs would come right back apart if not welded and rusted together. I want as much ridgidity as I can get. I own a welder. Screw it I'll do it. It was of those things.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Overdrive Member

Well I hope everyone had a great holiday. Mine was relaxing for sure. I did some work. Name:  003-27.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  002-34.jpg
Size:  95.9 KB

Name:  004-27.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  100.5 KB

Ok, I don't like posting my family but... This was pure comedy to me. I was fooling around with movie maker and came up with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msPqjZgr7h4

This went on for 20 min.

Last edited by 77nomad; 07-05-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Well I hope everyone had a great holiday. Mine was relaxing for sure. I did some work.

Ok, I don't like posting my family but... This was pure comedy to me. I was fooling around with movie maker and came up with this.

YouTube - ‪slipn slide‬‏

This went on for 20 min.
That was great! They looked surprised, but sure went back at it fast!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I've asked the question to death. Mary Pozzi told me it wouldn't hurt to leave it but doing it sure wouldn't hurt. I don't think her car is welded. The guy who sold me the suspension, Dave from PTFB says yes weld it. So I have a champion drive saying one thing and the manufacturer telling me another.

My teacher said the were not crimped of a press fit in any way. The two halfs would come right back apart if not welded and rusted together. I want as much ridgidity as I can get. I own a welder. Screw it I'll do it. It was of those things.
It's also a great part to practice welds on, as it's thick enough and just challenging enough to try various things.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
It's also a great part to practice welds on, as it's thick enough and just challenging enough to try various things.
Thats what I was thinking as I was doing it. That and chit I hope I don't warp it. I have it down I think but need to clean the metal better. Paint contamination was bubbling up in the weld pool. I'm going out to spray the cowl in a minute then its back to grinding on the seams. I want clean metal this time.

Question, since the two of us seem to chat quite a bit. I consider you a great "buddy" online at least. I listen when you talk. Type, whatever. Should I paint my firewall body color along with the inner fenders? Just go satin black? I'm going to post a poll on the in the other area. They look good in person, the SPI primer dries to a perfect sheen black. The heavier the coat the more glossy it gets.

Damon Jr. went back at that for 20 min. straight. Cameron wasn't into getting wet that day. They are my pride and joy. They both helped me DA the firewall yesterday.

Last edited by 77nomad; 07-05-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Former Sponsor

77Nomad – Before you go welding up the seams, just in case you don’t know, you can tweak your subframe really easily if you don’t know the tricks to doing it.
If you are going to weld the seams, only weld a couple of inches at a time per area. Move around from the frame and let each area cool before continuing in the same area again. Don’t start on one seam and keep welding it until you’re done, you’ll soak the metal with heat, warp it, and weld it in a warped state.
Many GM frames and subframes have questionable welding and some very limited welding on some. It’s not a bad idea to weld the seams. Just make sure you’re doing it right.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear member

[/quote]Then for the Camaro I welded most of the top seam on the sub frame. I hope it didn't get tweeked from too much heat. I ran small beads and jumped side to side, quenching them with a bucket of water and a rag. .Name:  004-26.jpg
Size:  75.7 KB[/quote]
Gee, ya think hotchkis takes the time to read much of these threads before posting?

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)