So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Better put that ankle up in the air and strap a couple cold beers to it, and a couple more in both armrests!

Old 07-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Overdrive Member

The truth of the matter is I shattered my ankle playing baseball as a teenager. Then a surgon put a plate 7 screws and two wires in there. He wasn't very clean and I got an infection to beat all infections. The had to have a muscle and skin graft to get it together again. I had it fused in 2005 because I had arthritis like and 80 year old women.

So, I twisted that ankle mowing. It may take weeks to feel better. After 18 years I am used to having it hurt non stop.

What do I do! Put a four speed in my car cause I'm gluten for punishment.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

The firewall is looking great man. I like it! I'll hope to be doing that too down the road.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
The truth of the matter is I shattered my ankle playing baseball as a teenager. Then a surgon put a plate 7 screws and two wires in there. He wasn't very clean and I got an infection to beat all infections. The had to have a muscle and skin graft to get it together again. I had it fused in 2005 because I had arthritis like and 80 year old women.

So, I twisted that ankle mowing. It may take weeks to feel better. After 18 years I am used to having it hurt non stop.

What do I do! Put a four speed in my car cause I'm gluten for punishment.
I know how you feel! I twisted my wrist back in 1971 at work and fought with doctors for nearly 5 years telling me there's nothing wrong. Then after all that time they took another xray and the xray technician pointed out that my lunate bone was dead in my wrist! Doctors never did see that the bone had no marrow in it after all that time and had lost circulation years before from the twisted wrist!
I've suffered with it ever since as they gave me the option of putting a plastic bone in, fusing it, or taking a payoff. I rolled the dice and said I'd wait and see if I needed the surgery, and they could pay for it if I did. Made it to retirement, and now they're off the hook for workmen's comp, so if I finally can't stand the pain it will be on my dollar.
Should have taken the payoff, but the doctors said they doubted I could go more than 10 yrs. without surgery. Guess I should have realised they knew nothing when they couldn't find anything wrong in the first place!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Overdrive Member

Well its seems we took the same approach. Back then, all of 1993 we were only concerned about saving my foot from amputation. We didn't sue the dirty doctor. I think it troubles my dad more than. He knows I could have gotten an easy life from a malpractice suit. I don't ever wish I had. I think thats part of what wrong with the world today. Too many people suing for stupid things, like getting burned by hot coffee at McDonalds. Being a newer father I laughed my butt off when we got a stroller that had " do not fold with child inside" molded into the plastic. Someone must have sued.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I know how you feel! I twisted my wrist back in 1971 at work and fought with doctors for nearly 5 years telling me there's nothing wrong. Then after all that time they took another xray and the xray technician pointed out that my lunate bone was dead in my wrist! Doctors never did see that the bone had no marrow in it after all that time and had lost circulation years before from the twisted wrist!
I've suffered with it ever since as they gave me the option of putting a plastic bone in, fusing it, or taking a payoff. I rolled the dice and said I'd wait and see if I needed the surgery, and they could pay for it if I did. Made it to retirement, and now they're off the hook for workmen's comp, so if I finally can't stand the pain it will be on my dollar.
Should have taken the payoff, but the doctors said they doubted I could go more than 10 yrs. without surgery. Guess I should have realised they knew nothing when they couldn't find anything wrong in the first place!
Well its seems we took the same approach. Back then, all of 1993 we were only concerned about saving my foot from amputation. We didn't sue the dirty doctor. I think it troubles my dad more than. He knows I could have gotten an easy life from a malpractice suit. I don't ever wish I had. I think thats part of what wrong with the world today. Too many people suing for stupid things, like getting burned by hot coffee at McDonalds. Being a newer father I laughed my butt off when we got a stroller that had " do not fold with child inside" molded into the plastic. Someone must have sued.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by JmeZ28
The firewall is looking great man. I like it! I'll hope to be doing that too down the road.
You can do it. It was so easy. If I did it again I would cut a piece and lay it over everything, then weld around the edges. It would make it smother in the middle. I didn't have a sheet big enough so I made do.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Overdrive Member

What a day. The ankle is good. I went to my buddies to install the C notch kit I talked about earlier. Man it was easy but took all day for one side. He wasn't prepared well. All but one of his drills were 3/8" chuck and we needed to drill 1/2" holes. Then the cut off wheels had the wrong diameter center hole for his grinders. Got one side done.

Then for the Camaro I welded most of the top seam on the sub frame. I hope it didn't get tweeked from too much heat. I ran small beads and jumped side to side, quenching them with a bucket of water and a rag. Di some work to the firewall too but it was getting late and I shut the garage down at 10 pm so Jonny law doesn't pay me a visit.

The firewall half done. Notice the weld across the top. Its not huge but I can feel it. Name:  009-16.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  51.4 KB

Welding was a challenge. I wire wheeled the Chassis Saver paint off the seam but it was still contaminating the weld. I was having trouble getting a good ground too. Not bad, crappy pic though. My kids played with my digital camera, now I'm using the video camera to snap pics while holding a drop light.Name:  004-26.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  75.7 KB

Last edited by 77nomad; 07-03-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:44 PM
2nd Gear member

Looks good man, does welding the seams on the frame help rigidity that much? I've considered trying that with mine when the time comes.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:19 AM
2nd Gear member

To be honest i dont even know what you mean when you are welding the seams? Please let me know as i assumed they would already be welded. Is this the same as seam sealing?

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)