So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 01:52 AM
Overdrive Member

Here's home during the summer.

Here was it would have looked like today.

There was a pic on the news tonight and the lighthouse was cover by a wave.

In two months we're screwed.

We get all the weather. Equal parts nice and crappy. Thats why I like it, its constantly changing. Snowmobiles and dirt bikes get the same use. Plow trucks and mud trucks are usually the same truck.

Last edited by 77nomad; 10-16-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 AM
2nd Gear member

77 Took me 3 days to read all 481 posts.... Great looking build.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:29 AM
Overdrive Member

Thanks. Nothing to report AGAIN. Again I'm bogged down with families vehicle issues. My brother is moving back to Montana next week and needs his car fixed. Its been sitting with a broken axle all summer. Great.

My first trip into German engineering comes from a 1999 Audi A4 turbo. It was a trip from the beginning. The wheels go on with bolts not studs, needed a sledge hammer to remove them. After removing the tire I got a good look at the crazy as front suspension. FOUR ball joints, say what? After the shock and fear wore off I jumped in, its just nuts and bolts after all. Then it came time to pull an axle, they're held in with six 12 point allen screws. Really 12 point, anyone got those in there box? I managed to find one store that had a set for me. They were way cheap. I made it trough two bolts before it was stripped. Spent 3 hrs driving from store to store trying to get another set. Most guys wanted to sell me a reverse torx bit. I gave up and used regular allen wrenches and prayed I didn't slip. Not easy when the axle shaft is broke and you have to hold it with a pipe wrench at the same time.

I got both out only to find my brother bought two axles for an automatic, this is manual. The topper is he bought them online months ago and he's broke now. I had to spring for one and still don't know about the other one. No one has them in stock, yippy.

Oh yeah it rained on me three time yesterday. I can't get the car in the garage because the brakes are rusted to the rotors.

Sorry Camaro, maybe after I do my sisters fuel pump?

Old 10-31-2011, 02:38 PM
2nd Gear member

Ya gotta love it when everyone knows your a Mechanic!!

Old 10-31-2011, 03:42 PM
Overdrive Member

LOL the trouble is I'm not a mechanic by trade. Never have been either. Just spin my own wrenches. I take care of my family because the economy is so bad here. My bro can't find a job after 8yrs in the Air Force. He has three vehicles. The car is best on gas so thats what he needs to move back to Montana in. Plus he gave me hid 86 Chevy shorty 4x4. I owe him. My sis, her husband just left for basic because he couldn't find steady work. They have four kids, so big bro stepped in to get her back running ASAP.

I have a simple feeling about family. F**k with my la familia and I will kill ya.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I have been finding myself working more and more Audi's these days. Yeah I had to invest in a set of triple square sockets/bits myself. I find there is nothing worse than an ageing German POS. awful cars.

Sorry to hear cold weather slowing progress, I feel the opposite I hope to have more time and get more work done on my car this winter. since this summer was a bust for my progress.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Overdrive Member

The triple squares went in the garbage. I have an abundant supply of metric SHCS at work. 12 of them just came up missing.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Overdrive Member

Today I picked up a set of Vortec heads and a off brand aluminum intake for a cool $75. I got them from a guy at work so I took the opportunity to soak them in our ultrasonic cleaning tank.

After a good washing I looked at the casting number. "059" I was only aware of 906 and 062. After some reading, they're 305 Vortec heads. Which isn't all bad because my truck has a solid 305 and I was going to put them on there any how just for grins. I'm bummed a little though, but hey the intake is worth what I paid.

Last edited by 77nomad; 11-03-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Can't beat $75 though. Well... free I guess or he paid you $75 to take them. Either way sounds like a good price for a set of heads + intake. I would love to come across a LT4 set up for my car for cheap. Hey its OK to dream.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Overdrive Member

I need to find a 600 Holley. After that they're going on the truck. I have a 3" in duel 2" out flowmaster set up on my 91' that should work after some cutting and welding. It should be peppy. I'm not trying to build a hotrod out of it, its a real cleanish 86' Short Box 4x4. I may even use the QJet on there for a bit. Its in good shape but still has all the Vac lines on it for smog equipment. I replaced 20ft of it but ran out and never did find the issue. (high idle) I think I'll just run one for timing, PCV, brakes and charcoal canister.

Anyone have a suggestion on a low lift cam. I'm kind of stuck, the heads have the same runners as the 350 heads but smaller valves. I'm thinking something around .450-.480 lift but can't decide on duration. The 305 is throwing me. Open to suggestions.

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)