So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:52 PM
2nd Gear member

Our house in oklahoma got robbed a few years back so I can understand how you feel, but at least they didn't steal to much stuff.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Overdrive Member

Living on a corner I get plenty of street light. Flood lights are coming though. I wanna kick my "guard" dogs every time I see them. They heard nothing. LOL

Old 09-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Overdrive Member

Need to touch my car. I have neglected it for too long. For a good reason though. My son turned four last weekend, it took me a month to get the garage cleaned out and the Camaro presentable to all my friends and family. Most have never seen it. Between that and getting the lawn green and ready for the party took all my time. The party was a hit and now I can get the garage dirty again.

I did manage to strip one of my fenders a few weeks ago. Its not as nice as I though it was, it was in an accident I didn't know about. The body guy was a master sculptor. The wheel got it good and I think I'll just use my non Z fender, I'll have to cut the hole for the vent. Fun.

Pics to come soon.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Overdrive Member

Yesterday I finished welding the subframe seems and mounted the front bumper inner structure. First time for that, now for a coat of paint and its back on the car for the last time. Its 58* today so no paint. Hard to believe that it was 80* yesterday. Never fails, Labor Day comes and summer shuts off like clock work.

Its been a great summer, I got a nice tan working on the car outside. But welding without a shirt for 3hrs was the stupidest thing I could have done. My whole chest has a weld burn and it HURTS. Happy Labor Day guys. I smell fall in the air.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:48 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

three days of pain will set that in your memory. lol. ouch.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Labor Day usually means ugly weather here too, but we're having the best weather ever! It's been high 80's all weekend, and took in plenty of car stuff.
We tried to change my buddy's intake today, but found out a '56 Chevy wont allow a Weiand tunnel ram for clearance. Ended up going with an old dual quad intake, and now he needs different carbs cause the Holley 450's wont fit end to end or side to side. He's stuck using Edelbrokes.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Overdrive Member

There aren't many vehicles that I would think a tunnel ram would fit without a hole. A 56' would for sure be close. Another is my 86' pickup, I bet I could hide a 6-71 under the hood.

Got the top side of the frame painted. Some of you guys know how I despise POR 15. But I still have half a gallon of the stuff so I used it. I waned to spray epoxy prime the whole thing but funds are short this week and I'm out of lacquer thinner. No way to clean the gun. The kids have all but destroyed my camera so I'll have to use the video camera.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Glad to see you're getting back on the Camaro. Been waiting for some updates to your thread!
Height wasn't an issue with the tunnel ram. He wanted to cut a hole in the hood so everyone could see it. It was length! There's no way to fit it lengthwise, as the tunnel ram sits under the firewall, so he needed to pull the wiper motor. But even with the wiper motor pulled the rear Holley's bowl sat under the firewall, so no way to install it because it's so tight it wont drop over the studs on the intake to be able to bolt it down, and then if you installed it all as a unit and slipped the intake in place you couldn't install the distributor. I guess that's why most Tri 5 Chevys use a Edelbrock tunnel ram.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Overdrive Member

I was getting burned out working on the car every waking moment. Then there is a budget issue. Last year I spent my taxes on parts for the car that got me through the year. This year I bought the tools. I didn't leave much for parts. I put about 3000 into the compressor and welder alone. Still saving for tires and paint.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Overdrive Member

Well I have made a decision. I was going to paint the firewall body color. I have thought it over and over again. If it were a show car than things would be different. Being a driver/ race car gloss black it is. I figure I'll never be "done" with the car. I no I'll be pulling the engine on a regular basis and plan a LS swap some day. I KNOW I'll scratch the firewall at least once. I bought a quart of Rustolem and have sprayed the frame and tomorrow I'll work on finishing the firewall and spray that too. Then I'll be done with this half of the body. The beautiful this about this is if it gets scratched or chipped it can be fixed with a rattle can.

As promised here are some pics of the frame.
Name:  008-21.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  75.6 KB
Name:  007-22.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  80.0 KBName:  003-29.jpg
Size:  93.5 KB

I love my new welder. There are some scetchy areas, I couldn't get all the old paint out of the seam. While welding the paint was literally blowing the weld pool up. Here are the best spots.
Name:  004-28.jpg
Size:  71.0 KB
Name:  002-36.jpg
Size:  84.3 KB

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)