So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

That linkage is going to be sweet once it's done.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

With all the bends required for Hurst or stock linkage; can everything clear and function with just straight rods?

Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Overdrive Member

It should. NASCAR has been doing it for 20 years on these trannies.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I wonder why the stock linkage has all those bends in it? You'd think they'd run straight pieces if it clears and works? I may have to give this a try on mine. Are those just solid aluminum rods that you drill and tap for the heims?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I thought the bends were there so one rod will clear another rod (or arm) when going through the motions.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Overdrive Member

I think they're there to get the rods closer to the trans. Here's a pic of mine. I tried to draw lines on the pic but without a straight edge it was not too straight. The 1st gear rod is on the outside the 2nd gear is on the inside. The reverse hangs much lower. Honestly I'm not sure I can cram the 5/16" heims under the the shifter end. That is my only concern. I took a gamble on the size. If they dont fit its back to the drawing board. It should be fine. The rod is 5/16" so I figure with solid bushings they should bolt right on. The shifter comes with plastic bushings from Hurst. I upgraded to steel bushings because I can be tough on parts. The plastic are to help with vibration anyhow. The stick shakes like a crack head anyhow.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Overdrive Member

Ok so I have the rods on hold until I can get some alone time with the lathe at work. I may stop in later to finish them and get them out of the way. But I have procured more parts.

From Customworks in California I picked up what they call a 2G bar. It basically ties the front frame horns together. I also got a new set of brackets to mount the LS calipers to my spindles and use a 13" Corvette rotor. Not a huge deal but I am piling up parts for when the snow clears. I cant seam to get warm outside so I'm waiting on spring. It has been swinging back and forth as far as temp. Last year it was 80* at this time. This year it snowed. WTF?

Here is the bar installed on another car. As you guys can see it isnt anything special. It keeps the frame parallel. With a my thicker sway bars and stiff springs the frame can twist. It also makes a good jack point and a place to mount my power steering cooler.

On lunch yesterday I stopped at an electronics warehouse near work and was just looking but finally said screw it and grabbed two sets of speakers for the car. These should work fine in my custom kick panels I got a few years back. The price was too good to pass up. The price tag was $199, I know two managers there as well as three salesmen. I walked out with both for $244. I thought it was a good deal until I got home and found them for what I paid all over. Apparently they are marked way up. But at least I know I didnt over pay. Oh well. They get great reviews and from what I heard at the store I was impressed. I just need to make up my mind on sound deadening now. I have been on the fence for so long it aint funny. I have $200 worth of Dynamat. Thats only 100 sq ft though. I need about 200 sq at least to do the inside of the trunk and the roof. Then there is Lizard Skin. It sprays on. Its gonna cost about $400 to do the whole car. I feel it may be a better way to go. Spraying into the nooks a crannies should hush the car up real nice. Dynamat is peel and stick but it said to be a better product for sound deadening. But If I cant get it where I need it, its worthless. Right? So in the end I may use both. I cant make up my mind sometimes. Here's the speakers.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Keep your receipt! Have you looked on ebay? You can get those speakers new in the box for half (or less) of what you paid.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Overdrive Member

I got two sets. I havent looked on ebay but most I see are about 119ish. I paid 115 plus tax. Its not a big deal just a impulse buy.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ohhhhhhh....I see now where you said 2 sets. What little you might save then ain't worth the screwing around.

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)