So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Looks great! My welding cart was big too, but once I got parts, tools, etc. on the lower shelves it became pretty small! There's certain tools like my magnetic angles, clamps, and 4" angle grinder that I just can't leave off the cart, so it stays full.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

wow them floors look really good i been scared to pull up my carpet to see what lies under it.hahaha.LOL.SERIOUS THOUGH.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Looks great! My welding cart was big too, but once I got parts, tools, etc. on the lower shelves it became pretty small! There's certain tools like my magnetic angles, clamps, and 4" angle grinder that I just can't leave off the cart, so it stays full.

What I did on the other one was take different lengths of 1/4-20 socket head cap screws and heat them so I could bend them into a hook on the cap end. I have them welded around the outside. So my cart has a bullet level, fire extinguisher, wire brush, 4" grinder, one for the ground clamp, a 1" pipe coupling to hold the mig torch, a spool of 0.023" wire, and a spool of flux core. It doesn't even have a shelf. The two 90* magnets I have I stick where ever and I have about 3 c-clamps that I just clamp to it.

When I get the new one sorted I'll snap a pick to show you how I set it up. It helps that its made from 1/4" wall tubing. I need to get the tank holder a bit taller and come up with a handle. Then cut the casters off the old one. To be honest i forgot I made it last night or i would be out there right now. But I have already hit the shower so fuget aboud it.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by bad436z28
wow them floors look really good i been scared to pull up my carpet to see what lies under it.hahaha.LOL.SERIOUS THOUGH.
Get the carpet out of there ASAP. If its wet it will only make things worse. I found out the hard way. My 78 had good floors until the sun roof got opened once. Then as it sat and leaked things got real bad. The whole time I was thinking I got a car with cherry floors. The biggest cause of or floors rusting is the front and rear glass leaking. Mostly the dreaded front windshield corners. If you got rust on the dash corners, you got rust on your floor boards. The factory sealer gave out on most cars within a few years.

When I was negotiating for the 80' I asked for as many pics of this area the previous owner could stand to take. It helped the car was in pieces and I could get a real good look from pics. That is what sold me on the whole car really.

I was sent a letter on my 78', if you want anything off it let me know because it may be getting scrapped soon.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I didn't really want anything hanging off the sides of my cart since room is precious anywhere I use or store it. I also wanted a cart that was tall enough that you don't have to kneel or squat to set it, or change wire. I bought the $49 HF cart after looking at it, and seeing how it was set up. Only thing I changed was to bolt my welder down to the tray, so it wont ever get knocked off, and change the front wheels to a taller wheel so it rolls over little imperfections easier. It also makes it easier when you have to roll it on terrain that's rough to get to a welding site. That's another reaon I went to the Miller 140 that's 120v.; wanted to be able to use it anywhere I could find a 20a. 120v. ckt.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Overdrive Member

I forget your shop is narrow.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah i plan to pull my carpet and rip my seats out tomarrow between coats of paint on my firewall,so maybe i can atleast get my engine and tranny in.cant start trying to put my 71 camaro front end on until i get my engine in so might as well start working on interior a little.just cant wait to see how my engine looks in it with all my firewall and subframe freshly painted,also was wondering if i could use my por-15 white as a base paint for my blue pearl paint,or if i need to primer it first. sorry for so many questions.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah i know what val means i only have a 10x23 space to do all my work in

Old 12-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Overdrive Member

10x23 isn't bad. Its not 26x32 bwahhh. Sorry just kidding.

I wouldn't use POR as a base for anything if I had a choice. I don't really like even though its all over my car. I painted over what I couldn't get off.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:47 AM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Alright real progress tonight. Finally got all that nasty undercoating off or is it inner coating if its in the car? I also pulled the rear window out. Which is the first time in my life I have ever done it with breaking the glass. Apparently I wasn't bleeding on it enough the first few times I tried. I slipped and shaved my thumb knuckle something fierce. Ok now for the pics, I got my camera working too!

I feel for you guys doing rust repair. The toe pans couldn't be any better could they?

Not a spec of rust.
Looking good man, i had to replace a driverside toe board not long ago, its a pain

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)