So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Woohoo. I got a three day suspension from work. Dropped the remote control for a crane in a granulator. Turned it into mulch. Maybe spend sometime on the car.
Nice! I bet they don't realise they're not really punishing you!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:46 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I guess that they don't realize yet that the remote is cheaper than YOU falling into the machine... Have fun on the car. I'm just finishing up with the bulk of getting ready for the graduation party, just set up in the morning left to do. I'm going to hit the pool now. Maybe Sunday I can get to work on my car. I'd like to get the sway bar finished and POR15 done.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Overdrive Member

The remote the last an older style remote. They don't make replacements for it anymore. It was the last of 9 cranes needing an update. They were pissed. Had to call in a service to rip all the wiring out and start over. Plus the 18 hrs I had 8000# just hanging in the air. This was sunday night. Took until this morning to find out my fate. Then they said oh your gettin a long weekend, see you Sunday night. Then yu can get your 3. Ouch. I can't wait until I graduate. I won't even do my internhip there.

Last edited by 77nomad; 06-11-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If they had any brains they would have had a "leash" that clips to your belt for the remote so if it was dropped by accident it wouldn't go far. Every remote crane pendant I've wired we supplied a leash to tether it to the operator just to save them from drop damage.
They shouldn't be punishing the operators for their own stupidity, even if it does mean more fun time with the Camaro.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Overdrive Member

LOL We get the leash and a leather case with the first install. They don't last long and someone tosses them. We have nine cranes. Lots of remotes.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well hope your "vacation" was productive!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:42 AM
Overdrive Member

Its starts today. LOL

Old 06-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Overdrive Member

Had a good ole time today. Camaro doors aren't for the faint of heart. A tip to those installing doors take the glass out, your ***** will thank you. Rolled out of the garage for the first time since unloading off the trailer back in March. I spent most of the afternoon sweating bullets, humidity is in the crazy zone and temps are in the 80's. Her are some pics of my progress. the panel gaps aren't set. I'm no bodyman and this is going to take days I can tell. I might have to swallow my pride and farm this part out. But I needed to make it look like a car just show the little woman I do know what I'm doing. I think.

Name:  009-3.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  203.4 KB

I took both door strikers out to help get the doors lined up. Then I used a ratchet strap to keep them closed. I though I had the doors done but just before I threw in the towel I noticed the rocker panel gap on the passengerside was jacked. The doors are pretty easy to line up, but the fenders are laughing at me.

Name:  010-3.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  103.5 KB

The color I want. 2010 Camaro door handle from work. Switchblade Silver

Name:  007-4.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  101.7 KB

After I get the panels good enough to open and close the doors. I will be putting this.

Here.

And work though they were punishing me. Ha. The punishment will come on payday, but what he hell. -Damon

Old 06-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

My front fenders kicked my rear too! I had mine off and on about 5-6 times each! I'm not sure I'd even think of trying to align them without the core support in though. Probably futile to even try.
I got help with my doors and used my floor jack with pad on the jack to install and adjust them. Had my son hold the door upright while I jacked it and pushed it into position, then gradually raised it until it was close enough to start the bolts. After that I kept it on the jack for final adjustment. The bad part is doing this after paint! The doors were based and cleared in the jams, then hung and aligned before base and clear on the exterior. I can't imagine doing any of the exterior with doors off as I know I'd screw up the new paint if I did!

Old 06-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Good point about the core support. The temps are high and so is the humidity and sand blasting the support in shorts or sweating for that matter doesn't sound fun. Might have to. Been saving it for after the motor is in. I used the jack on the doors but on dolomite. Solo. I seen a tip on nasty about hanging the door from a cherry picker with a ratchet stap. No picker here. Will be when I jam it though. Everyone please say a short prayer for me on the fenders. I need all the help I can get.

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)