93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Rearend Gear Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok ill give you the gas part. lol. cant argue with sam.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Overdrive Member

I have only ever run blanks on my cars, never slotted or drilled. I have only used ceramic pads in recent years, but they don't bite as hard as some others, but they DO produce LESS dust!

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-29-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added pad info
Old 10-29-2010, 01:27 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

best setup ive had was on my old 93 z and it was powerstop drilled and slotted with ceramic pads. we are wet here and the slotted ones i have now are not working well. im saving to change it. ceramic pads are not cheap.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:53 PM
4th Gear Member

Liberty your stupidity is incredible.

You contradict what I say... But you then say the exact same thing I said. What the **** lol.

I don't feel like 100% explaining the uses of drilled and slotted rotors and their effects because you'll deny it, post some bull**** from somewhere, and then restate what I said.

Gassing IS the issue on cars that require a lot of braking (auto-X and cars driven in heavy city traffic for prolonged periods of time). I said the dangers of drilled rotors in my post that you repeated after trying to contradict me. Did you not read?

Jesus christ...

Old 10-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Overdrive Member

^ Evilkal, you have been posting a lot of assumptions and erroneous info lately (not all, but multiple recent examples), best to do a little research first. When someone points out your errors you start getting PMS and calling names.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:17 AM
4th Gear Member

You didn't point out an error. You contradicted me then said the same thing. It's so dumb. I admit when I am corrected but most of the time you post heresay and crap.

You called me an idiot and my shocks crap because Strano said so. For Strano's uses, I'm sure they're not great. For mine, they kick ***. It's an opinion.

Other than that, there's nothing erroneous about anything I've said lol. My opinion still stands that you're a moron =)

Old 10-30-2010, 08:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Soooo... yeah.

I'm sticking with drilled and slotted because they look badass through my wheels, and my driving style isn't so insane that I would be at either a loss or benefit of using them (Ms. Daisy would <3 me). I know, I know; why get 3.73's and look to do more upgrades for performance if you don't use it? Simple: To know I have it if I want it.

If they happen to crack for whatever reason (which, I hadn't considered until I just read it on here), then of course that's a chance I'm taking.

I sent it to the shop this morning to have the ABS ring put on the carrier (I believe that is definitely the source of the brake issue). After this, I think I'm going to focus on cosmetics (most likely painting my calipers, and still deciding on lug nuts) over mechanical for a little bit, just because I'm tired of fooling with it.

I have another question about the gauge cluster, but I'll post a new topic about it at some point.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:20 AM
4th Gear Member

Drilled rotors are prone to crack even under normal driving conditions. Especially if they are cheaply made. Just a fair warning. You have no use for drilled and slotted rotors... To each his own however.

If you're wanting LEDs in your gauge cluster, there's a write up somewhere. Search for it. 97+ need 5 LEDs and I would advise getting wide angle.

Hope you get everything worked out though man.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I was reading up on the drilled and slotted rotors...

I'm starting to think mine might be on backward... The description I was reading was saying that the rotor location is dictated by the vanes on the rotors; where the vanes on the top side should point toward the rear of the vehicle - my holes and slots point toward the rear. But on the rear of the vehicle, my rotors back there point toward the front. Shouldn't they all point in the same direction?

Another thing; Two of my rotors are 4 holed, and two are three holed; which is supposed to be on the front, and which is supposed to be on the rear?

I tried researching into this, but couldn't find anything definite.

edit: Found a write up on the cluster gauges with LED. In the pic it looked like the right side of the speedo was brighter than the left - is that why you suggested wide angle (never heard of that) LED?

Found some more on the rotors; there are three types: Straight, Pillar and Curved.

Straight and pillar are non-directional and can be put on either side of the vehicle. The curved are directional; this is what Brembo says about that: "A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Please see figure. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat."

I'm not sure what mine are, so I'll have to take them off and look, and adjust accordingly.

Last edited by Losat; 10-31-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:49 AM
4th Gear Member

The vanes are supposed to point towards the rear of the vehicle. This helps evacuate gasses that build up between the pad and rotor. Can't do that if they're going the wrong direction heh. This will lead to premature pad wear on the inside and possibly brake fade under hard braking situations.

Well I'm sure whichever ones are up front and the ones on the back are correct because the back won't fit up front and the front won't fit on the back :P

Yes this is why I suggested the wide angle LEDs. I don't think I have a pic of my gauge cluster on this computer or I'd show you. Without the wide angle LEDs, you will have more light in certain spots and it will look like crap.

If you have slotted rotors, the slots should point to the rear.