So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:08 AM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Rims look awesome man, nice and clean. I'm in the same boat with the kids, i have four of them lol, 6, 5 (girls) and 3 yr old twins (boy and girl). i work alot now so the only way i get to work on my car is to get my mom to baby sit or if the old lady is in a good mood (hence the lack of updates on my project threads lol) .

Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 80ZJoe
Rims look awesome man, nice and clean. I'm in the same boat with the kids, i have four of them lol, 6, 5 (girls) and 3 yr old twins (boy and girl). i work alot now so the only way i get to work on my car is to get my mom to baby sit or if the old lady is in a good mood (hence the lack of updates on my project threads lol) .
Yikes, you've got your hands full. The good thing is, once they start to become manageable, they will all be manageable at the same time-ish. I've got 3 kids, two girls: 14 (almost 15) and 10, and a boy: 3 (a month from 4) years old. That 4 year old is something else... my girls were a piece of cake, he is definitely different.

Anyhow, the rims are really amazing. I can't wait to see them with rubber on them and see how they look. I want to go as beefy as I can in the back, and probably like 8 or 9 inches up front, still low profile-ish tires though, so it would seem like what you got should be right on the money. Did you roll the fender lips, and are you, I thought you were. I need to get a fender roller sometime here.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Just teasin you Damon! I've had that happen before and I put a space between each link to make them stack and not get wide in the post.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Overdrive Member

Steve, I haven't rolled the lips. Not sure I need to. I think the tire is gonna sit under the edge. Not what I want. I'm thinking about mini tubs hard. We'll see. FWIW my rear is perfectly centered, most are 1/2" off. Worked out great because I never measured, lol.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 80ZJoe
I know what you mean Joe! I have 5 kids, and it was a real tough task to drag them with us to the track or try to find time between sports, etc. to work on the car back then. I guess that's whay I get so much done now with all of them long gone, and me retired!

Old 04-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Overdrive Member

My little guys are a hand full for sure. Yesterday when I brought the car home I busted out their 4 wheelers. Good thing my brother was out there to keep an eye on them. My two year old won't stop driving out in the street. I had to threaten to take it away for him to finally listen.

The little woman wants to try for a girl but I'm done. No way in hell I could ever go through the feeding schedule and stuff. I had it rough the first time, wifey thought we needed a puppy two weeks before she had Jr. Holy crap what was I thinking. No sleep for months.

I'm stoked for the next faze in raising my boys. I'm thinking JR Dragster. I would happily give up my toys to go full on if they wanted to. But we'll have to wait and see. LOL Keep your eyes peeled for a JR Dragster build thread.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

At one time our whole family was really into dirt bikes; even my wife! We has 7 of them and hauling them all on a huge trailer I built to take everyone, and loading all the gear and kids in my old '60 Suburban! It was a lot of fun, but I always had to spend more time watching than riding when the whole family went. But then that was a ton of fun watching them ride too! My youngest son broke his hand first time out on his Mini Trail 50, about 10 min. after we unloaded! The rest the kids were more upset about having to go home than his broken hand!

Old 04-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Overdrive Member

LOL I remember my brother breaking his leg when we were camping. We never forgave him, HA. Actually my dad drove him and hour to the hospital and then he spent the rest of the week in a lawn chair.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:11 AM
Overdrive Member

Ok my garage is most the way clean after the marathon move. Compressor is holding air and I just need to wire the welder plugs, if I can find the stuff I bought to do it, ugg.

To take a break from all that it was time for some progress. I'll save all the before pics, we have all seen drum brakes. For those who missed it, picked up a set of 12" rear discs from a 2000 Camaro SS. All in all this was pretty easy, I didn't have any brakes to begin with so pulling the drums off was it besides pulling the rear cover and getting the C-clips out. More on that later. Here is the finished product.

B-E-A...UTIFUL
Name:  005-15.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  82.5 KB

Now back to the C-clips ordeal. When I install the first backing plate, I got into a rush and was wanting to use the factory ABS sensor to block the hole in the backing plate. Just to keep dirt and debris out I guess. Well this can't be done without some grinding on the axle flange. Notice the sensor stuck behind the flange, throwing it all out of square. Name:  009-10.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  76.0 KB

I didn't notice this at first, but did notice the wheel was not spinning freely. I figured I'd just go on and come back to it later. So after starting the passenger side the binding stopped me from rotating the wheel on that side. Then I forced it, not hard but... clunk, clank, ping. I spit the spider gears and C-clips out of the carrier. Now mine you I am laying in water that has come under the garage door from the thunder storm earlier and its 40* out. Top it off with I'm rear end stupid and I can't get the spiders back in. I called it a night and took a shower. I'll update tomorrow after I do some reading on 10 bolts. Sorry for the long read. -Damon

Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

It's tricky to turn the spiders and side gears in together. Best to put in the side gears, then one spider on top, then turn them until you can get the bottom spider in. I usually have to do it twice before I get the lower spider in place and get it to match up with the cross shaft.

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)