The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Overdrive Member

Gee, I never knew! You say it wont ratchet down to first? Am I reading that right? And just a cable will fix it? I cant remember how the factory cable attaches. I know exactly how a b/m works. There is a tab that comes with them, two actually. One for the shifter detent and one that attaches to the pan rail and has the adjuster in it.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

Everything is functioning properly now, just not quite enough length to get all the way into first. I need a tiny bit more room to adjust the bracket on the trans where the cable goes over the eyelet. It's as far back as it goes, I can get into first gear, that's how close it is. It's just shy of locking in on the shifter. I'll get it, just haven't worked on it since I started on the sanding which, by the way is coming along pretty good now. Core support is all cleaned up and I fast etch'd it today. Finishing up the pieces that bolt to it now and should have them all done tomorrow along with (hopefully) most of the other inner fender. Gotta have that stuff painted by Friday to keep up with my goal for the week. Then I can work on the little issues like shifter, fuel reg. etc. and start getting the front end put back together.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Overdrive Member

Can you open the holes in the bracket to get it back farther?

Did it warm up, up there yet? Its been warm but not anywhere near normal here. No AC! First time in years. I have a small fan in the window and in the morning were shivering.

I wish I had a before and after of Lake Michigan. There is a break wall down there that when I was a teen had a guardrail and waves would crash over your car when you parked there on a windy day. In my 20's the water level dropped severely and I was wondering if it was going to dry up. The wall was now a place to sit a watch the beauties in bikini's. The rail was taken down and there was 60' of beach there. The steel retaining wall went out 30' and was buried in sand. I drove down there in the Dodge Tuesday night and rode through (it was a cruise spot until park rangers drove us out after 30 years of cruising) The water is within 6' of the wall again. Thats how much snow and rain we have had in the last year. Just unreal how the weather switched on us, not that I'm complaining. More concerned that were gonna have another 6mo blizzard.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you do get it to go into 1st, there's a chance it wont go fully into Park. It sounds like the stock arm on the trans is too long, and the shifter doesn't move it far enough for the full range. A shorter B&M arm might be in order, as they have an attachment point that's less from trans mount to cable attachment point, so they reach all gears without an issue like this.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

I hope to get a chance this weekend to mess around with the shifter cable a bit more. I'm quite confident I'll be able to figure something out. It's so close (like mentioned) that I know by hitting the hole in the bracket a bit with the Dremel it would work. Would rather not do that if I don't have to though, will just have to see when I get back on that.

Damon, it's been cold enough up here at night (and during the day the last 2 days) that I've had my furnace running in the morning. Sickening. We were in the 45 degree range in the mornings lately. The extended forecast does not look very promising either as far as going to the beach this summer. Through Aug. 18th we only have 2 days around 80, the rest are mid 70's and even 60's for high temps! Great "work in the garage" weather, just not "shirt off and get a tan" weather that summer is supposed to bring. Again, we'll have to see what happens there. Yes, the water levels are back up a lot further than the last 10-12 years for sure. You should have seen East Bay in Traverse City the last decade. All those hotels/resorts on the waterfront, with 300 yards of extra beach! Not pretty beach either, mucky, weedy (3' tall ones) green rocky beach. Sad to see really, but then again, I won't go to T.C. unless it's an absolute must anymore anyway. I always told people that it works in cycles with the water levels and it's nice to see them back up. COLD water though, serious "scared turtle" water temps, so I hear....

I've fallen off pace a little bit with the sanding, I have the core support and attachments done, etched and ready for paint, just not the last inner fender. You'd think as excited as I am to finally get this Camaro back going again that I'd spend every moment possible out there getting things done. I'm so SICK of slinging that grinder around, smelling the 36 year old paint/undercoating burning off and picking wires out of my legs and arms! I look like I've got some kind of disease on my legs right now, guess it's my own fault for doing it in shorts. I didn't get outside until later this afternoon and it cost me the completion of that darn fender. Tomorrow I'll do my darndest to get it finished so I can POR all of them together. Got all the parts for the Cadi so tomorrow evening/night will be dedicated to getting that stuff installed. I cannot wait to be done with that front end stuff! Got a lot of body work to do but at least it's not full of spots the wheel can't reach or grab and launch out of your hands. Still made some progress today though.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

We're just the opposite weather here! No rain, and for the 7 day forecast it's all mid to high 90 degree weather. It was 70 degrees at 5:30 when I got up!

Old 07-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Overdrive Member

Its been like that for a few years Val. This summer is a nice break. The humidity has been in check too, heck even my grass is green and I havent watered once.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:30 AM
3rd Gear Member

Getting close to having these in paint! Gotta drive all the way into town to get some acetone or something to wipe these down with and get the Fast Etch residue off of them. Man, that stuff is sticky if it puddles! They came out pretty good though, makes me feel like the effort (and mega hours) are worth it and hope the paint stays on everything good for years to come. Just have to finish the inside of the last inner fender and I'll be getting paint on them this afternoon.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140704_19_27_44_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140707_15_27_46_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140707_15_28_00_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140711_14_56_04_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140711_14_56_25_pro.jpg  

Old 07-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Tear it up bro! The core support looks like its in good shape. That is good because they can be hard to find.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yes, the core support is in pretty good shape and I do feel fortunate after seeing so many that are rotten. There is one or two tiny pin holes right in the middle on the bottom tray part, probably from coolant sitting there in the past. The POR will actually fill them though, they're so small. Since it's now 10:00 pm and still raining, guess I'll try to get another coat on everything in the garage! It always happens, right after I got everything all hung up/laid out to paint, you could hear the thunder in the distance. I'm not letting this day end without having everything at least POR'd. I'll still have to topcoat with the metallic and body colored paint but at least they'll be protected. Trying to get the dr. side axle shaft out of the trans on the Cadi and of course, it's fighting me 'til the end and won't come outta there! I pulled the shaft apart trying to get it out of there with brute force but the end stayed in the trans. It's my fault this time, I made the assumption that they'd come right out like anyone else's would have. Two different pry bars and I still can't get a good position on it to get it out. Need one that is flatter I think. So, looks like an all-nighter out there, just me and the mosquitoes....and gypsy moths, and spiders and rolley poley things.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build