The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

I think that's what I'll end up doing is bending the choke linkage a bit. I warmed the engine up today to check if the flap was opening completely. Choke ends up being set far too rich and it takes forever for it to warm up and open. If I set it where it should be, there's that small amount of additional movement needed before the interlock drops free. A slight tweak on that linkage should fix it up I believe. It was just such a crappy day today with the foul weather, didn't do a whole lot.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Hope your choke is adjusted properly! Need to make sure it is before bending any linkage! If it takes too long to open, it might be out of adjustment. With the engine cold, I loosen the choke housing, and turn it until the choke plate begins to open. Then turn it back until it just barely closes and tighten the screws. If it's too tight it wont fully open, and it will take a long time to open.
Once the choke is set for warm weather, you can adjust it again for winter. I leave them at summer setting, as I don't drive much in the winter. The choke opening on electric chokes has nothing to do with engine temperature, like older mechanical chokes did. If you simply turn on the key the choke gets power, and begins to warm up the choke bimetal spring. It will open whether the engine is running or not. Just slightly open the throttle as it warms up (with engine off) and it will be open in a few minutes.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 08-25-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:02 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
Choke ends up being set far too rich and it takes forever for it to warm up and open. If I set it where it should be, there's that small amount of additional movement needed before the interlock drops free.
That's the issue, when the choke is adjusted properly, it doesn't open entirely. I set the choke the other way around. I warm the engine up (I realize engine doesn't have to run to warm up the choke springs) until the choke is open with the screws loosened on the housing and then turn it until it just begins to close then go one notch leaner and tighten the screws. The only time it takes long(er) to open was when I had it adjusted too rich, which is where it ended up having to be set to get the plate to open fully. I don't want to leave it set there, I want it set where it should be, but have it open fully and disengage the interlock. Only reason I would want/need to bend any linkage. No need for a winter setting on the choke, although, it does sorta feel like winter here again today. It's rainy and miserable again but I'm going to try and spend a little time on it anyway. Need to get a few other things done finally, like drill the subframe and add the bolts for the frame connectors. Need to get rid of some toe-out on the alignment too. Might as well get that stuff done today. I appreciate all the help with trying to get this WOT situation handled, thanks guys!

Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Your choke can never be adjusted properly by adjusting it the way you've done it, with waiting to adjust it warm. It needs to be done cold, with power off. Then check it once it's had power on for about 5-7 minutes, and if the linkage needs adjustment, it will be correct.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

This was taken straight outta the Edelbrock carb owner's manual:

The length of time during which the choke will stay closed is determined by the position of the choke cap. As the choke cap is turned clockwise the choke will stay closed longer. To properly set the choke loosen the chock housing retaining screws then turn the choke cap to the leanest notch on the choke housing and run the engine until normal operating temperature is reached. With the engine running, slowly turn the choke cap clockwise until the choke valve begins to close. Now turn the choke housing one notch counterclockwise (lean) and tighten the choke housing retaining screws. Periodic readjustment of the choke will be required as the temperature changes throughout the year. It is recommended that you use the notches in the choke housing as a reference, one notch clockwise for rich or one notch counterclockwise for lean. After each adjustment verify that the choke valve opens fully after the engine is warm.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ Which is essentially the same as how you described you had set it. That's how I set the choke too, as it's more important for the choke to be fully open on a hot engine as opposed to being (relatively) fully closed on a cold one. Sometimes you can't get both.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I guess I've never heard of that, or done it. I've always set them cold, and then turn the key on and checked them at open. Haven't had an issue with them not fully opening so far.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

I had set the choke the way you described before also Vall. This was the first time I had tried setting it the way the manual explained. The "cold" way left the choke just shy of being opened all the way and disengaging the secondary interlock. It wasn't until I set it with the engine running that I now have it opening the flap all the way. It's finally nice and dry today so I'm going to road test later on. Finishing up drilling the last 2 bolt holes in the frame/sfc's and then fixing the toe out and it'll be ready for a drive. I hope to be able to provide a clip of a good WOT run! Pray, please pray.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:41 AM
2nd Gear member

Praying is not my thing, but I am wishing you good luck and hoping this is the solution.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

Understood on the praying, there was more sarcasm than seriousness in that request. Anyhow, still wants to pop and spit and sputter at WOT. Unbelievable. I was sort of able to push through the chugging one time. Worked the throttle 3-4 times and was able to get the secondaries open. Had my kids with me so I wasn't trying to keep on it into 3rd gear. I'm going to try again several times tomorrow, it got late and I don't have the headlights adjusted very well on this thing apparently. Really disappointing to not have WOT even after verifying the choke open completely before putting the air cleaner on for the ride.

Got the plates for the Camaro today. LOL! I had offered this suggestion almost 2 years ago and the kids really liked it, so I let them choose. Wasn't intended as a Harry Potter reference although the definition in relation to the spell is similar. Still only appropriate for MY situation at the present but the grins on my kids' faces when I put it on was awesome. I told 'em not to get too attached to it as when it expires I'm most likely going historic so I don't have to pay for tags every year.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-inbox49655085622e47ee785341fd4dbe607c75efa.jpg  

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build