The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 02:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

Anyone have a spare driveshaft? I'd be interested.

Went for a ride with a buddy this morning and the car was really running well. WOT is still an issue but I have been able to get through the stumbling and got a couple quick runs in. Think the carb needs a bigger shot from the accelerator pump to fix the stumbling. But that isn't the issue right now. Went from 2nd gear WOT, shifted into 3rd and stayed on it for just a second or two. When I let off the throttle, BANG, clank clank clank. This was the end result. No indication of any trouble there before this, no vibrating, wobbling or anything that would've made me think anything was wrong. Still don't know why but it looks like the U joint(s) just came apart. Lucky the shaft went straight out the back.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-inbox49812e2c1270f7be23cddd560c61c2d49b235.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-inbox4981275ef1d1ecc2baf1967261ab3aec63705.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-inbox49812821695f4768e8a013ae64284848e5b49.jpg  
Old 09-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Other than that, how was the ride?
Oh that sucks! Did the strap bolts in back come loose, or are they still tight?
Do your u-joints have internal clips, or did the caps back out?

Old 09-06-2015, 04:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

Straps are still tight. The U joints had the internal clips but it looks to me like the caps just came apart like there weren't even clips in there? The ride was about 2 miles from being over and the car had ran beautifully, even in all the heat today. It was the 2nd time that I had managed a WOT hit. This time from 2nd gear and felt great until I let off. It sounded like a huge backfire at first, maybe it was. It rode so smooth too.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Where are the end tabs or raised ridge on the rearend yoke? I don't (can't) see that in the picture.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 09-06-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

In looking, your year used the internal clips in the back too. You did have those installed? If not, or if one came off, that's why the u-joint flew out of the straps.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

Clip(s) must've come out of there. I remember installing them. I need to find a replacement, right away, as in NOW. Would love a good aluminum driveshaft, but didn't plan on spending more on this car, this Summer. I'm in a predicament though. I know 2 certain kids that are going to be simply devastated if I don't keep my promise and extract them from school one day their first (this coming) week! We were also entering the Camaro in a local show a week from today and they are beyond stoked for that also! They'll be home tomorrow. Really upset I ruined my stock driveshaft too, know it's nothing special but it was perfectly fine, well, minus the new U joints. I'd take another stock one, unless anyone has a lead for a $200 aluminum one of good quality?? LOL I realize they're a good deal more than that, but I really can't spend that right now. Apologies for whinin', this was a big blow dealt at a really inopportune time for me.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:38 AM
2nd Gear member

Too bad you are in a pinch to get that driveline. I would sell you my stocker if it worked for you, for the price of a box of bud light and shipping.

Unfortunately I am a long way from home for another two weeks.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

Appreciate the thought Sudstoy, still not sure what I'll end up doing for a replacement. With today being a holiday, I'm not having any luck finding a place that's open to talk to. If I have one made for me using my yoke, it won't be here this week. Suppose I need to decide whether or not I want to spend the extra money on a brand new one or not, just to try and get it here this week. With only 4 days to get something done, I think my answer is already there. Suppose I'll get at it in the morning when somebody's open.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:07 PM
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=78 on my plate;704763]Anyone have a spare driveshaft? I'd be interested.

. WOT is still an issue but I have been able to get through the stumbling and got a couple quick runs in. Think the carb needs a bigger shot from the accelerator pump to fix the stumbling. But that isn't the issue right . have you tryed moveing the pump ,what is the ghb an psi ,i notice with mine on ocasion a stumble ,but mine is in the wrong spot to ,iwas told as low as possible an as close to the tank ,with me it happens cold onece or twice if i hit it hard ,then one time leaveing a gas.station acted like it wanted to die ,i think i had air in the line , parking on an incline does it to .mine is like 120. ghb at .5psi,its allways when i hit the.throttle hard ,other then the.incline ,its a thing of the gas running back to the tank then air in the line ,with you ,it may be like you say just need more psi ,like you otherwise runs fine,yes that drive shaft looks beat ,sorry to hear about that i been taeking it easy on mine until i can build up the rear end an new drive shaft ,i can just tell if i keep it up something going to break,.sucks when it holiday though

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-07-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm all but certain my issue is that the accelerator pump needs a bigger shot of fuel for WOT. That and maybe some bigger jets. My fuel pressure is 5.5lbs and I'm not using an electric pump like you have. I put another fuel pump in there a few weeks ago with no change. It was ironic, but I found a youtube video of a guy with a '68 Firebird 355sbc with similar carb as mine having the exact same issues at wot. He tried everything like I have and what ended up fixing his problem was a longer pump rod and bigger jets. Doubt I'll get that issue completely resolved before the car gets put away this year but suppose it's possible. The way it was driving/acting yesterday tells me I've gotta be close.

I have a guy down in Ohio (member of a Camaro FB page) selling me a driveshaft at a reasonable price. Talked to him today and as soon as he gets me dimensions of whatever packaging he comes up with, I'll be heading straight to UPS to pay for shipping. Should only take 2 days to get here so there's still some hope this week!

Hey Chuck! Notice anything missing from this pic? Perhaps my memory isn't as good as originally thought?! Lesson learned.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140808_23_04_11_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-tumblr_inline_mi2o0us5a61qz4rgp.gif  

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build