The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Overdrive Member

YEAAAAH! Start calling you Knight Rider! I have a true hatred toward skeeters. Too many bites when I was a boy. I actually dont get the bumps anymore. That doesnt stop them from feeding on my azz. When I was a boy I lived directly across the street from the Everglades in Florida. The mosquitoes were thick enough to actually inhale them some days on the way to the car for school. Every day a C-130 would fly over and crop dust us with insecticide. When they say they are the state bird of Florida they mean it. At least from my point of view.

Should have POR'd right in the rain. LOL It pulls water from the air to dry. No problem with water and humidity yesterday. Wasnt that hot humidity either. It was that see the water in the air days. Overcast and just a crappy day. I held up in the house all day. It was great!

Old 07-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You haven't lived until you've been to Alaska in the summer! I was stationed up there in the USAF, and the mosquitos are the biggest I've ever seen anywhere! They are scary when you're out at a remote lake and step outside to go fishing! I'm not sure how anything so large can survive the cold winters, but they thrive up there for a couple months!

Old 07-13-2014, 12:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

So are you saying that you've developed an immunity to mosquito bites Damon? That's impressive sir! While I am completely confident that there are more, bigger and worse bug problems than in Northern Michigan, I was still smacking them off me every other second. Man, it rained all night long, and hard too. The moisture was literally dripping off the bottom of the Cadi while I was working on it. Still need to put one more coat of POR on all the front end stuff for the Camaro, but at least everything is getting done. Finally got the axle shaft out of the trans on the Cadi, then the outer tie rod would NOT budge. Not even rusty, just on there really, really well. I took a cut off wheel and started to make slices down the side of it (last pic) to get it off there. Had to cut the nut off it too lol! Decided to wait until today to finish up since the neighbors probably didn't appreciate hearing a grinder and me cussing at 3 a.m. Nice day though today, cool, good breeze and some sunshine. Perfect work in the garage and finish POR'ing weather! Have a good Sunday folks!

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140712_15_10_12_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140713_00_25_35_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140713_00_25_51_pro.jpg  
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

ta-dahhhh! Still have to topcoat everything but man it feels good to be done with that grinder for a while!! Cadillac is finally put back together too, wish I would've remembered that the key was on when I put it in neutral as now it's dead. Need to get at the battery anyway so I can take the airbag off the steering wheel again. Got new steering wheel controls coming tomorrow and I can finish that stuff up too. Good day today.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140713_21_01_13_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140713_21_01_02_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140713_21_01_37_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140713_21_01_25_pro.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 12:29 AM
2nd Gear member

Good to see you making progress on the car. You are doing all of the things that i kick myself for not doing when i started my build.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Overdrive Member

I have seen video Val. They are big and thick on moose blood. The 'glades are a years round swamp that is just as freaky as the bayou on that TV show. Cant remember the name but the have sub title for people speaking English. Like we need that! Anyhow!

Tim looks good, how bad are your fingers??? I cant seem to not spill that crap on me somewhere. And yes immune to bites, doesnt mean the wont feed on me. But at least I dont pay for it the next day!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Those parts look better than new Tim! The car is going to be really nice when you're done!

Old 07-14-2014, 12:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

Appreciate the nice comments fellas, sincerely. The pics I posted are after the first coat was applied, I'll get better pics after things are top coated and finished. I always do a good job of not getting any POR on my hands/myself until AFTER I'm done painting. Specific example - first coat completely applied to all parts, no paint on me whatsoever. I go to flip the inner fender over to start on the other side's second coat and realize that there were paint runs through one of the holes in the fender on the back side that wasn't tacked up. POR all over my right hand. Of course, I had no gloves on at the time. It comes off better than some people let on though, only takes about a day to wear off it seems, thankfully.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Parts are looking good man. Did you have any problems getting the lid off the can of POR15? By the time I got mine off, the inner sealing lip on the can turned inside out.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Overdrive Member

POR holds up well in plastic jars like JIF or something. Learned that one fast Chuck. Had it happen on three cans now. I have good luck getting it up with thinner if I do it right away but if it gets near my nails its over. I'll be wearing it a while.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build