The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Well I almost peed when I saw the my car was too fast line. But I will admit if I was still driving my Civic I'd toss it on. I have a Audi A4 in my driveway that could sport it. At least the Audi has a turbo. I could make some sort of obnoxious blow off valve to make all kinds of turbo noises. LOL The Audi might be too fast for the wing though. I better call the guy and see how much rice its rated for. In all seriousness back in the early 2000's that would have brought good money. I can tell its a Wings West and those were one of the best ones to buy back then. Spend some time in the 4th gen area I bet you see one on a Camaro. Hehe! More faster more furiouser...

Old 03-30-2014, 09:52 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I knew you were just posting for entertainment. Surprised they don't sell back there. As long as I can get them for $40 or less I can almost double my money when I find them. And every time it's some young kid in an import who comes over to get them! I always tell them how cool it will look once they get it on the car! Sometimes they don't even have a clue how to bolt them on, and I end up having to give a little tutorial to help them so they'll buy it!

Old 03-30-2014, 10:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

What impresses me the most is Damon's knowledge of his wings! Sadly, yes I have seen other gen Camaros with similar "aero" attached to them. To each his own I suppose. I just liked how the listing read. Gave me some ideas on how to write out the listing for the stock seats from out of the Camaro. "They made the car so fast that the stitching on the seams couldn't keep up!"

Old 03-31-2014, 09:48 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
What impresses me the most is Damon's knowledge of his wings! Sadly, yes I have seen other gen Camaros with similar "aero" attached to them. To each his own I suppose. I just liked how the listing read. Gave me some ideas on how to write out the listing for the stock seats from out of the Camaro. "They made the car so fast that the stitching on the seams couldn't keep up!"
Actually I'm a little concerned that Damon knows so much about wings!

But I like your idea for the listing! I'm sure if we added a reference to speed to every CL ad we could double the asking prices!

Old 03-31-2014, 01:49 PM
Overdrive Member

Hey man if it goes fast I either want one or want a ride in one. I bought a civic the spring before the first fast and furious came out. It was black at that. So now here I am with car payments and I was neglecting my real hot rods by spending left over cash on wait for it... yellow wire loom for under the hood. As well as short throw shifters and I put a flow master on it because no matter what I can't own a fart can. I rely got some looks from my exhaust guy when I said flowmaster. He kept asking if I wanted the polished can sitting on the shelf. Uhh no! I got razzed real hard by my BB buddies when they saw the stock pipes laying next to the garage. There were litteraly the same diameter as my buddies header tubes. Ghey! I even had a couple tuner mags by the throne for a time. I confess#

Old 03-31-2014, 05:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

There's something terribly wrong with those first two sentences being next to each other. You know, "If it goes fast I want one/I bought a Civic." I can only imagine what an internal strife that must've been too, fighting the good fight against a fart can and going Flowmaster. You did your country proud sir. I'm sure it made all the difference in the world as far as sound goes. LOL!!! Got any pics of it??? I want to see those looms!!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Oh yeah! Don't get me started on colored wire looms! It's one of those things I see under the hood of a lot of ricer cars, and occasionally some pretty nice hotrods too! Whenever I see it I have to make sure the owner isn't around when I laugh. I just don't understand the desire to make all your wiring covers jump out at everyone who looks under the hood! some guys even cover their fuel lines with it to get even more color going! Reminds me of looking at a color coded schematic on paper!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

I don't mind a little colored wire looms, to me it beats exposed wires. I wouldn't want it everywhere though, especially if it's the only thing one does under their hood. I actually have some red loom, but doubt I'll end up using it, plus it's only 3' of it. Now, CHROME wire loom is a different story, gotta get me some of that! LOL. I might actually use up the 1/2 braided stainless line as a loom for the headlight wires since I got the upgrade kit with the relays. It's all covered in yellow shrink wrap (not my doing it came that way) so I've got to do something with it and that 10' piece of 1/2 braided hose is just sitting out in the garage with no use for it.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd personally rather see black loom covering, or nicely taped wires. I'm not a fan of seeing a bunch of loose wires either, but covering them with anything that jumps out at me just draws attention to the wiring. Not sure why anyone would want wiring to be a focal point under the hood?

Old 04-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Overdrive Member

I can't really say why I did it. I was in the speed shop one day and saw the roll laying there. Craig the owner was kind of a mentor to me and another kid so he said use it. I too have seen it over done. A particular car in my head had it on the fuel log at the carb. There was so much blue crap under the hood of the car I couldn't help laughing. I personally am addicted to zip ties. I used to do it at work too were I would have one every six inches. Great if nothing goes wrong but a PITA if you have to trouble shoot something or replace a cable.

The harness in my car is tied and taped. Don't know why. But I have no reason to get into the harness ever again I hope. I absolutely can't stand aired laying everywhere under the hood. I also do weird crap like route the hoses and wire so they don't tangle with each other. For instance last weekend I replace the map sensor on the jeep and hated that I had to pull the wires over and under and over again to get the pcv system off.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build