The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

I got the water pump completely done today and about half the intake and they look at least twice as good as before. Not flawless by any stretch but much much better! I'll wait until they're both done to post up some pics. Not sure how well the pics will show the differences, but in person it's night and day. Well worth the time and effort for sure.

Appreciate the insight Damon, there really isn't a counter bore on these pulleys, just marks from the washers used in mock up. Looks like they used a star type washer as well. Appreciate the offer for the allen wrenches, I've got some of them that I don't use a whole lot. Would never pass up a chance to obtain new tools though! If you wanna hook a brotha up with some SHCS's, I learned today that's what I am supposed to use. I noticed Vall isn't using them so I'm probably fine with some new hex heads though.

Vall, that is the one thing that seems a constant with anyone that's using these Gilmer belt drives, the use of spacers. With my incomplete certainty of having the balancer on all the way, this should prove to be interesting for me when I install these pulleys. I checked online a few times this weekend and everyone that posted anything about the pulleys said they had to use spacers at least on the power steering pump, if not on everything. Only one way to find out but I'm waiting another day or two for some warmth before I know. Still have to get the new PS pump but I can use my old one for mock up. Really appreciate the info as well sir! Your project is lookin' good!

Old 05-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You probably noticed that the pulleys for water pump and crank are much wider than the alternator pulley, so there is a lot of room for alignment. But my setup was off enough that the crank pulley was out too far, and water pump pulley in too far. If I centered the alt. on the two the belt would have hung off the edge of both, and looked like heck.
I used regular hex head bolts on all, but I'm considering going to plated allens with small washers for the final assembly; at least on the water pump pulley. I was going to also run a mechanical fan, but looking at how it blocked the setup, it asthetically will look much better if I go electric fan.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Overdrive Member

I couldn't see running a mechanical fan either Val. Looks good.

Tim you need SHCS's? Let me know. I can mail you a fist full. The only thing is I don't have fine thread here. The balancer and fan are not fine thread. Let me know what you do need though. I have a good stock at the house just from emptying my pockets before I do my laundry.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

I noticed some of these kits come with a crank spacer, but mine didn't. Must depend on whether it's a short or long WP? I'll see what things look like on mine in the next day or two. Trying to finish up the intake today and it's almost done.

Appreciate the offer too Damon, I was mostly just playin'. Not even sure what size I would need at this point but like I mentioned, I did confirm that Allen heads are supposed to be used on these setups. I might just take you up on that offer sir! Thanks!

Yeah the fan, I've been planning on using a mechanical fan for the main reason of trying to keep the additional wiring in this Camaro to a minimum. Had enough problems with the wiring ever since I bought this thing and it the additional draw kinda worries me. I have room for a couple extra relays in the fuse/relay block I made for the headlight wiring kit I got just before tearing the car down. Not sure just yet. I don't think a flex fan would look that bad with this kit but the main priority has got to be cooling ability, not cosmetics.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
The only thing is I don't have fine thread here. The balancer and fan are not fine thread. .

Balancer isn't fine thread, but fan sure is. At least every Chevy water pump I've seen took 5/16-NF threads.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ironically, both my balancer and fan take fine thread. Just bought some chrome cap screws 5/16 16 and they won't work. My fault for not checking first. Couldn't find fine thread 3/8 for the balancer at 3 different places. I have the original bolts from the balancer so I know they're fine thread. Guess I'll have to order some from somewhere.

For what it's worth here's a couple pics of the before/after on the WP and intake (re) polishing. This is before I got the residual compound off but you should be able to see the difference. Look by the name on the front of the intake to see the difference the best.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2943.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2948.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2957.jpg  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 AM
Overdrive Member

I was gonna say mine are fine as well.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

Made some progress today and I'm proud to say (after 3 different attempts at getting the right sized cap screws) that the pulleys all line up beautifully! I was worried about the balancer pulley the most and ironically it's the one that could be spaced outward a tad if anything. Don't know what the deal is with these pics after I resize them but after I do that, they look all cloudy. Oh well, it's still a 327!

Question for you Vall - how did you tighten the alt. pulley nut after putting the new pulley on? I can't use a wrench like I did to remove the original pulley and when I use the socket, I can't get the allen head in the center of the mounting stud? Don't want to go bending up the fan by lodging something in there to tighten the nut. Just curious sir.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-fot9f98.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-fot62e8.jpg  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Overdrive Member

No worries about tossing that at 8g. The 327 you got there is a gonna love to rev.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So your alternator pulley didn't need any monkeying around? After I saw Vall's pulley setup, I wanted to get them too, but was a little hesitant. Some sets I've seen did include a spacer, others don't. Could be the difference between the short and long w.p. application. With the alternator pulleys I've messed with in the past, I use the impact wrench, for getting off and on.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build