The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

I seem to be having an issue with fitment between the hard and hydraulic brake lines. Aside from the pre-bent lines not being bent properly, I can't get the threads to reach when I go to connect the two lines? It seems the flared end of the hard line is bumping into the center of the hydraulic hose and keeping the threads from being able to reach. Anyone ever have an issue like this? Here I was irritated about the pre-bent lines having to be re-bent to fit and the real problem lies elsewhere. I was trying not to have to call Summit about the lines but now I have no choice. Just wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong but it's pretty straight forward from what I can tell. One line should screw into the other and it's not happening.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3146.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3149.jpg  
Old 07-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Can't see it in the picture because it's part way in, how long is the non-threaded end portion of the male fitting?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What I'm getting at is it looks like the female fitting isn't deep enough for the kind of line end you're using. I always bend my own line, starting from straight pieces that look like this: Hydraulic Steel Brake Lines
See the difference in the ends?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I bend my own also from either pre-flared lines, or just roll stock and flare them myself. But I used pre-bent lines for the Camaro, and they were really nice to just bolt in and bleed.
I think Camaro69 is right; the end fittings appear to be too long on the unthreaded portion for the hoses you're using. Either need different hoses, or different lines. Call Summit and they will make it right with different hoses if you got it all from them.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

You can see in the second pic the flare and the end of the male fitting. It's hard to tell from the link you posted but it does look like there's a little less non-threaded end than the one I have. Didn't realize there was a choice when I ordered these. The listings on both the hydraulic lines and the steel lines said "exact reproduction" and didn't specify what type of end fittings at all. The steel lines say "first valve design" and I don't even know what that means? I really want a new set of hard lines anyway as the bends are all off but if I'll need to get a different set with different fittings, the hydraulic hoses are much cheaper than a new set of hard lines.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Overdrive Member

I agree the end looks all wrong. I will see if I can get you a pic tonight of mine. If you can get a refund Inline Tube look much better and dont take long to arrive if you order direct. There right here in Mich. Mine took a day or so. But the ends are all the correct color and everything. Inline was meticulous when I ordered. They wanted to know V6 or 8 as well as if it was a Z28 or not. Not sure what the difference was but they had different PN's for all of it. They break up 78-79 and 80-81 as well so you may have something oddball going on. http://inlinetube.com/Preformed%20Li...s/ocatalog.htm Oh yeah their site is a little funky, it was that way 3 years ago when I ordered too. $175 for stainless was good too!

Last edited by 77nomad; 07-09-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

I don't have a bender myself and would rather stay away from buying another tool I'll only use once or twice in another decade or so. I liked the idea of just bolting them in and being ready to go/bleed for that reason. Need to get ahold of Summit.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

OK called Summit. That explains A LOT. I got a set of pre-bent steel (not stainless)lines for an '87 (metric,) not a '78. Someone's dyslexia kicked in. Also learned that Right Stuff Detailing used to be Rick's Camaro's, did not know that. Anyway, new set will be here Thursday. Appreciate the info on Inline Damon, I was looking at them on Ebay quite a bit before ordering these lines. I did notice they have trans modulator lines which brings me to a question of whether or not I need a steel line from the modulator or can I use a thick vacuum hose? I only had about a 6" piece of steel line that I removed from the Camaro and the rest was vacuum hose. I bought some really thick hose to use but want to make sure. Appreciate the responses gentlemen.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you got metric, then the ends are different thread also. Metric are 10mm fitttings, not 3/16 tube fitting.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yep, that probably would've been the next thing I learned if the threads would've reached. I'll have the new lines here tomorrow so hopefully all will be taken care of finally. I've been working on the bottom of the Camaro trying to clean everything up for paint and QUICKLY learned that not only is the back pain far too intense but my arms turn to Jello within minutes! Cleaning the bottom has emerged as the new least favorite job to do on this Camaro. Need to get the shell lifted about another foot up and then I wouldn't have to lay on my back to do it. Good news is I haven't found so much as a pinhole and I'm half way back.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build