The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

Holy Toledo Damon! I'm hoping that the forecast is like usual, wrong! The storms are all south of us so let's hope they stay even further south eh? That's a lot of rain, best of luck there.

I'm pretty confident that the bearings are all new like the rest of the brakes. They put new wheel cylinders in the back and new lines from back to front, a lot was replaced. I do want to clean these rotors up before putting them back on there. I want to coat the edges and center with something paint-wise to keep them looking as good as possible too. The bearings and seals will need to come out to do a good job so I'll get acquainted with how these things go together and look. I ordered new seals, washers and hydraulic hoses today along with some new dust caps, mine are all dented in. Just need to get some new hard lines to finish up the front.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Whatever you paint the rotor edges with, be sure it's high temp paint or it will be gone shortly after you start driving. Rotor temps get pretty high, and most paint wont hold up well. Try some VHT header paint or paint specifically designed for rotors and brake parts.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 AM
3rd Gear Member

Will do sir, that's part of the reason why I was wondering what others used. I know Eastwood has Brake Gray, but that I believe is more for calipers or MC's, not rotors. Think I'm going to get their ceramic internal header coating and do the inside of my headers as well as the rotors with that stuff. It's expensive, so might as well kill 2 birds...

I'm really bummed out today, have everything painted (control arm/spindle) but only have one usable shaft. Can't believe I forgot about that thing! Going to get started assembling one side at least and hope shipping isn't delayed with all the storms south of me. Exciting times!

Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Overdrive Member

We didnt get too hammered. I know there are people south of me that dont agree but I am not pumping water so I'm happy. They say we had 70 mph winds last night but I was out cold last night.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

I was wondering how you "weathered" things yesterday man. Glad to hear things are dry(er) than expected for sure! I actually kind of hoped for some rain but didn't get anything even close. Darn sunshine! Seems like it rained almost daily in May but so far June has been completely dry here. Good painting weather. Bushings are in the CA's, need to take the lowers up to town tomorrow to have the ball joints pressed in and then we're rockin'.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I wouldn't waste time or money with ANY paint on the inside of headers. It will be gone in seconds after the first firing. I used black header paint on my rotor edges, and 3 yrs. later it still looked good, but never drove it in the rain or salted roads.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 AM
3rd Gear Member

It's not a paint actually, it's an internal coating that's supposed to withstand temps up to 1800 degrees. Eastwood has quite a few different types of exhaust coatings that are not "paints" that I was thinking about. I liked the sound of the reduced temps with that coating. I have stainless headers and thought it might help with the discoloring a bit. With the rotors heating up also, my logic was that it would help on those as well. The coating isn't as pricey as I thought it was (20 bucks) so I might try it. That's not a whole lot more than a can of header paint anyway.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Overdrive Member

I think I know the paint your talking about. My buddy used something like that on his GN. It was a thick silver paint. We use the stuff at my company to paint the stacks on our furnaces. Not that I have seen any laying around. I never thought of it until now.

Hey I got nominated for ride of the month. AGAIN! Last time the car they nominated had been scrapped already. Funny huh?

Old 06-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, I saw your car got nominated! Good luck! You got my vote!
Started up the BBC in my Falcon yesterday and did the cam breakin. It sounds wicked!

Old 06-15-2013, 11:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

Congrats to the both of you! Wish I could see the look on everyone's faces when you post pics of the prize winning TRUCK! I am completely envious of you Vall, congrats again. Now that will be one monumentally joyous day when I fire the 327 for the first time. Heck, I'll be doing cartwheels when I get the coil springs installed!

I'm going ahead with the purchase of that exhaust coating, won't be out too much if it doesn't work like hoped. Can't be all that bad though, wouldn't have the reviews it has if it was junk, worth a shot. Happiest of Father's Days to you all!

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build