The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Overdrive Member

Hmm 87! Jeez. Thats is just chitty. No wonder they were waaay off. Have you thought of building cribs? Check out Detroit Speed's website and look at their projects. They are all sitting on 2x4's cut about 12" long and made into squares, they keep going up until the height is right. I have really thought about making my own.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I wanna say it was an honest mistake but man, I was losing my mind trying to figure out why those bends were so far off! Hopefully by this time tomorrow they'll be installed along with the wheels/tires and be ready to roll. I took a look at Detroit Speed's site but didn't see what you were talking about? All their projects are either on jack stands or on some kind of metal structure. I think I'll make use of some 2x4s in the garage, cut 'em up and just start stacking them on the stands. I like your idea, but time spent making cribs is time wasted on grinding at this point. I need to get the bottom done in a hurry. Got the gas tank out tonight, it was a little strange. Not a drop of spilled gas when I removed the lines. As soon as I picked them up and turned around I slung a stream of 93 octane into a plastic bin filled with power tools and down my leg and all over my foot. LOL It's out though!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Just finished this ordeal on my Falcon gasser project! So I know what you're going through! Spent a lot of time on my back with a wire brush on the drill motor, and by hand cleaning. Mine's done and painted now, and entirely by hand with brush on paint.
After all the pain and mess, you'll be happy to see the finished product. Just too bad that most people will never see, or know how much work it takes to get it that nice!

Old 07-11-2013, 12:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

Now I am thoroughly envious of you sir! I was hell-bent on making progress yesterday with the grinder and got about 10 minutes into it. Then I got a surprise visit from my kids in the garage and game over. I did get the tank out like I mentioned but made about 3" of progress underneath. I will be brushing on the POR and hitting it with the paint color that I'm using on the body/firewall/block/trans etc. to keep everything matched. I fully understand where you're coming from about most people never seeing or understanding but this is ALL for me and my kids. I never realized just how few flat spots there are underneath this Camaro. I'm learning at a rapid pace that I won't be getting all the rust off but I plan on making good use of this gallon jug of Eastwood's Fast Etch before painting. Stuff works great as long as you've done a superb job of degreasing everything first. That comes next around the tunnel/cross member areas. UPS just dropped off the new brake line kit so I'm heading toward the garage in a few. Promised the kids if they let me have 90 uninterrupted minutes of work time I'd take them to 7-11 for "free" slurpees in observance of 7-11 (date.) It's all about planning....

Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I am pretty lucky, as the Falcon had very little rust, and mostly just dirt. It cleaned off quickly, and painting went just as quickly. I take shortcuts by brushing it pretty heavy, and then spraying with rattle can in the nooks and crevices I can't get to. I use the nozzle and tube off my aerosol solvent on the paint can, and it really floods these areas with paint to get a good coating.
Although most people wont see it, my gassers set so high up that I notice people constantly getting down on their knees and looking underneath, so some take the time to look. My grandson came to visit and the first thing he did was lay down and look under the Austin. Then he asked, "How do you keep it so clean?"
It was pretty new at the time, so he was just seeing it before I had a chance to get it dirty, but I was glad he took the time to look!

Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

This car definitely has it's spots that are rustier than others. Seems there's more up front just under the firewall to where the floor pans start. The trunk area where I removed the tank looks like it's almost new still. Then there's the tail pan, or what's left of it. I'll be needing a new one of those for real. It's probably common but I was shocked at the area above the tank, I was looking all around to see where the welds were and it's original, still covered in the funky brown primer. The PO must've driven this thing over a curb on the pass. side about 20 times as the lip off the rocker is COVERED in bends/kinks/creases all the way up to where the fender bolts on. That's gonna need replacing too. More progress made today, to the floor pans and so far so good. I saved the hose and nozzle from the internal frame coating to use again and I'm glad I did. Sure that'll come in handy underneath like you mentioned also. I think people will probably have to get down pretty low to look underneath this thing but if they do it should look pretty decent when it's done. Will definitely look better than the rust, black spray, white overspray and spider web combo that's under there now!

Here's a couple pics of the proper brake lines installed after about 5 min. worth of work. Much much easier to install and much easier fitting fitment this time! The only thing that I don't like is how the hydraulic lines are kind of floating around and want to pull through the brackets now. I know they're not going anywhere but seems like there should be clips on both sides of the fitting in the bracket.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3159.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3160.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3164.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate

Here's a couple pics of the proper brake lines installed after about 5 min. worth of work. Much much easier to install and much easier fitting fitment this time! The only thing that I don't like is how the hydraulic lines are kind of floating around and want to pull through the brackets now. I know they're not going anywhere but seems like there should be clips on both sides of the fitting in the bracket.
The hydraulic lines shouldn't need a clip on both sides, as the hose butts up to the hole in the bracket, and the clip holds the hose. So the line is held once the hose is secured. If it moves around with the hose end secured, then the hole in the bracket is too large. Needs to have a thin washer put over the hose before putting it through the bracket and then the clip will secure it properly.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

Not sure I follow. The hole in the bracket is the same shape as the hose and it's really a good, snug fit. The issue is that it wants to pull forward through the hole when I connect the hard line. It's not a big problem and I'll get it taken care of, think I might know what you mean but I'll have to look at it again.

I have a couple of questions that I've been wondering about if I could once again request some insight? When I drained the rest of the fuel out of the tank today (well most) I pulled the sending unit out and that thing looks awful. The metal line that goes to the bottom of the tank under the float is completely rusted and has/had pieces of rust just flaking off when I pulled it out. The tank appears to be relatively new (saw Spectra Premium stamped on it) but it's gotta be the original sender. What's the best way to get this tank cleaned out inside? There has to be some rust floating around and I don't have any idea how to get it drained completely, let alone cleaned out. I definitely need a new sending unit after seeing it. I'll post a couple pics later on as I have another question or two regarding the single vs. double line units that say is either for a/c or non.

Other question is regarding trans coolers. Seems to be great debate over routing of auxiliary coolers before/after the radiator depending on climate. Having a difficult time understanding why I'd want to run the fluid through the external cooler first and then send it through the radiator to heat it back up before going back to the trans. I suppose that's more of an opinion type of question that I'm not looking to debate. Fluid temps being too cool can be detrimental much like being too hot, I understand. Just wondering if it's specifically a climate related decision or a matter of opinion. Ultimately I would like to bypass the radiator and just use a 24" dual pass cooler and send these trans-rad lines back.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I totally isolate the radiator on all my vehicles when I put a trans cooler on. I never saw a reason to use the radiator cooler, as it just pulls the temp up higher, not lower. I also put my coolers either in front of the radiator, or lay them flat if space is an issue, like my Austin is.
If your hose fitting fits snug on brakes, then I guess I'm confused also? How can it move forward when you connect the hard line if it fits snug? I've had some that had a little slop in the hole, or even slop in the thickness of the bracket they clip into, but not much. I've seen guys use some black RTV gasket maker between the clip and hose to just make it cushion once it sets up, if the slight movement bothers you.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

Next time I'm out there I'll take a pic and show you what I mean. Not sure how else to explain it but it's not a big problem. Not sure how else I could install it anyway. The fit is snug, not tight.

I was thinking about mounting the trans cooler on the pass side frame rail. Haven't bought the cooler yet so not sure how that'll work out. I'd like to not have to run the hoses all the way up front if I can avoid it.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build