93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Help needed. Spraying oil.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Overdrive Member

There is no gasket behind the tensioner. If memory serves me right one of the bolts that go into the head go right into the water jacket. I would have to look at one of my heads sitting at home. If that is the case then put some sealer on the threads and tighten it back up. It could also be the tensioner, hose, or the freeze plug that is right on the face of the head.

If you do take the tensioner assy off make sure you replace the plastic elbows and use some grease or sealer to seal them back up when you put the tensioner back on. Also if the plastic pieces break in the water pump or intake make sure you dig out the broken pieces or you will continue to leak.

Massey

Old 04-10-2011, 02:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Update

Ok so I got the tensioner off and I believe it is leaking from the HVAC heater hose fitting and this little place.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to patch this hole, or can I order just that little piece that screws into the side? Maybe JB Weld? I don't know if it would hold well enough though.

Last edited by Tom70; 04-10-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
There is no gasket behind the tensioner. If memory serves me right one of the bolts that go into the head go right into the water jacket. I would have to look at one of my heads sitting at home. If that is the case then put some sealer on the threads and tighten it back up. It could also be the tensioner, hose, or the freeze plug that is right on the face of the head.

If you do take the tensioner assy off make sure you replace the plastic elbows and use some grease or sealer to seal them back up when you put the tensioner back on. Also if the plastic pieces break in the water pump or intake make sure you dig out the broken pieces or you will continue to leak.

Massey
Just now saw this. Thanks. I already took the tensioner pulley off and bought the elbows. I didn't get some sealer but I'll be sure to pick some up thanks. And I have almost all of the old piece out except for the very last little bit of the one that is below the TB. It's being a pain in the butt.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Overdrive Member

I used some bearing grease on mine and so far no leaks. You are better off just getting a new tensioner assembly, especally after the hack job that was done to it before with the threaded heater hose mess you took off.

Massey

Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
I used some bearing grease on mine and so far no leaks. You are better off just getting a new tensioner assembly, especally after the hack job that was done to it before with the threaded heater hose mess you took off.

Massey
Do you think the JB Weld would be a good enough temporary fix until I can afford the assembly since I'm running low on cash at the moment and don't have anything to drive? I found the assembly online for around $60 plus shipping. I'll try to look around and see if I can find one in a junkyard for less. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Overdrive Member

Dont junkyard it! And why buy it online? Go to your local O'reilly or Advance store they usually stock it or can have it for you same day, for the same or less. JB weld might work but you are going to have to get that alot cleaner for it to hold properly.

Gates 38289 - Belt Drive Tensioner | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Massey

Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That part with a hole in it is a threaded plug. Heat it up with a torch if you need to, back it out with an Allan wrench, chase it down to your local hardware store plumbing section and buy a matching plug, put a couple wraps of teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads, then crank the new plug in. I wouldn't trust J-B weld to hold your existing one for very long.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ thats what i thought but couldnt tell if it was a shadow or a hole. and if that plug it getting ate up then the other soft pluggs in the system may be getting weak as well so keep an eye out for any other signs of leakage.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks guys I'm going to see what I can do. I plan on replacing it when I can, but I'm gonna see how my finances play out this week. I may give removing it and replacing it a try, but I don't have access to a blow torch so I may not be able to remove it. I won't be able to do anything until this weekend anyway.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

UPDATE: I ordered the tensioner assembly and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon and I will hopefully get the kit from v6fixit today or tomorrow as well. So I'm praying that she will be up and running tomorrow or saturday. Thanks for all of the advice guys.