no key needed

Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Default no key needed

Hi,
Just picked up a sweet lookin 69 rs/ss.
It looks like its a real rs with ss badges, 383 stroker, 4 speed.
Any way I am working out all the bugs in the car, leaks , oil change etc. and I discovered that I don't need the key to turn the ignition key lock.
Anyone have any experience with this ? Is it a matter of replacing the lock set or is something broken inside of the column. Looks like the original column with the original wheel, the wheel needs to be replaced.
I have a factory assembly manual.
Any help appreciated !
motobro

Old 03-19-2012, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

yes sounds like you have a worn out cylinder.. get yourself a new one and replace it

Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yep, that's all it is. You need to remove the steering wheel to release the cylinder, but it's not too difficult to do.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 PM

ok,
so I got it all apart, yeah it was pretty easy.
BUT.....I am not convinced that it is the lock cylinder, it looks like the gear thats inside the column doesnt rotate as far back as it should.
The ignition key cylinder works as it should when not in the column, I have ordered another one just to make sure.
Also have another problem,
when I took the turnsignall cancel switch out, I exposed two copper prongs that attach to some sort of switch thats under the key, I think its called the key buzzer or something.
What do the copper prongs attach too ? Did I break it when I took it apart ?
or is it attached to nothing.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:14 AM

I ordered another ignition lock and when comparing it to the old one, they both seemed to work the same so I thought it might be something in the steering column that is keeping the key from returning to its inserted position and sure enough the sector gear was not returning to its correct position. Someone must have taken the column apart and not put it back together the right way. After about 2 hours of taking the end of the column of and on I finally got the sector gear and the arm with teeth that it attaches to in the right position. The old ignition lock now works as it should. I think i will go ahead and replace the lock with the new one that i got because the old is pretty worn. I still am not sure about the key buzzer.
I am going to apply a little spray paint to the column and put my new wheeel on!
Anyone with any key buzzer knowledge out there ?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by motobro
I ordered another ignition lock and when comparing it to the old one, they both seemed to work the same so I thought it might be something in the steering column that is keeping the key from returning to its inserted position and sure enough the sector gear was not returning to its correct position. Someone must have taken the column apart and not put it back together the right way. After about 2 hours of taking the end of the column of and on I finally got the sector gear and the arm with teeth that it attaches to in the right position. The old ignition lock now works as it should. I think i will go ahead and replace the lock with the new one that i got because the old is pretty worn. I still am not sure about the key buzzer.
I am going to apply a little spray paint to the column and put my new wheeel on!
Anyone with any key buzzer knowledge out there ?
I am having the same problem. Mine starts without a key and will continue to crank if you don't turn it back to the original position. Do you remember the exact process of taking apart and setting the sector gear? I don't know anything about steering columns and ignitions. Doesn't sound too complicated, but I don't want to screw something up. Thanks