Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The reason no one is telling straight put "tab A in slop A and your done" is because what you are doing is SO complicated and there are 100 ways to do it, all complicated. So if I said XYZ to fix this that would only work if ABC was done a certain way. For anyone to tell you how to do a project like this they would be writing a book. This is why in the first post I said find threads from people who have done it. They are your best resource. I know its too late now but the best way to do this project is to find someone who finished product you like and copy most his process. You have a lot more issues to work out most of the people that come here thinking they will save money putting in a older carbs engine get talked into a nice 383 LT1 crate and just install it and add a few supporting upgrade. It is a heck of a lot easier to hit 425 street-able HP with fuel injection then with a carb

Manual valve body will work. The stages are just how hard it is going to switch gear. The benefit of a manual valve body is that you can put the car in any gear at any time. The down side is that you can put the transmission in any gear and any time. You car converting a automatic to a manual. You have to shift it, it will not shift itself.

I have heard the whole its a corvette engine/transmission thing before. Unless your transmission has already been rebuilt it is one of the weakest links on your car. NEW, in its stock form, it would not last long in a 383 small block. The extra stroke in that design motor is very hard on a transmission.

Your 95 has a PCM (Power train Control module) This means the same computer the runs the fuel injection and ignition system also tells the transmission when to shift. The PCM uses information like RPMs,Throttle position, MAP sensor and speed data to figure out how to shift. Once you disconnect the engine from the PCM its becomes a brick. Using the PCM controlled transmission kind of goes out the window unless you have a stand along computer with its own sensor network.

A 93 back do not have PCMs they have ECMs (Engine Control Module) The transmission do not rely on computer they rely mostly on an internal hydraulic system for shifting. There is steel cable that runs right next to the throttle cable. So not a 93 back transmission will not have the same wire they have almost no wire.

The last thing to talk about is the torque converter. Right now in you 95 the PCM controls when your converter locks up but even in the 93 and all the way back to when computer first showed up the torque converter lock was controlled by some type of computer. You can go manual and hook it to a switch but if it is stock converter you will fry it the first time you forget it is on and try to stop.

Edit:
Just be sure whatever transmission is for a Camaro. The Camaro transmission have a toque arm mount. If you use a transmission from a different body style you are going have to buy a torque arm relocating cross member.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-17-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:46 PM
4th Gear Member

thanks for the information ,my brain is on overload ,an if there is 100ways of doing this then i guess I better have a good chat with kyle the mech to do what we should do ,well I guess to him its all simple ,to you to, me well I am learning slow ,I would prefur to find a tranny as close to my fitment as possible I guess then ,the pcm I guess still needs to run certain things ,I guess I can understand everything accept the part about my torq coverter there is a switch ,or the first time I forget to shift was that what you ment ,thanks oh it not a strocker engine its 364hp to the crank mild ,though I know that when I get going not matter wich way I am going to abbey until I have made the nesssary uprades

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-17-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:04 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
stock lt1s alot of guys don't know but its rear only about 200 rwhp
Off topic, but ctually not really, HotRod or Super Chevy (don't remember which) did a base dyno run on a stock '96 Z28 and got ~265 rear wheel HP through an auto, nonetheless. They then did bolt on's to see how well a computer controlled vehicle responded to mods compared to a carb'd set up. I will have to see if I can find the magazine to see what the final results were as I do not remember.

Just be sure whatever transmission is for a Camaro. The Camaro transmission have a toque arm mount. If you use a transmission from a different body style you are going have to buy a torque arm relocating cross member.
This. Almost forgot the Camaro's have them. Been working on a Jeep too much.

Personally, with the amount of money and time you have tied up this setup, you could have built/bought a 383 stroker for the same to less money.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:49 AM
4th Gear Member

well my 95 was 275 to the crank so that's impossible got to take away 20% for every 100hp wich is like 50 anyway so like 225hpwhp.? I printed up that page to bring to the mech Gorn it seems to touch on the most of you what you all think thanks guys keep ya updated other then I still cant figure what you ment about the the manual shift valve body did you meen the first time I forget to shift well I used to shift iit a lot fro-m first an so one I just one how it shifts from first to seconde there in the same gear so on the shift its 123

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-18-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
well my 95 was 275 to the crank so that's impossible got to take away 20% for every 100hp wich is like 50 anyway so like 225hpwhp.? I printed up that page to bring to the mech Gorn it seems to touch on the most of you what you all think thanks guys keep ya updated other then I still cant figure what you ment about the the manual shift valve body did you meen the first time I forget to shift well I used to shift iit a lot fro-m first an so one I just one how it shifts from first to seconde there in the same gear so on the shift its 123
The car they had was in very good mechanical condition as well. GM as well as others, under rate their vehicles from the factory for insurance purposes, though now a days, it's a little different. Through an auto, you get about 17-19% drivetrain loss and it's not for every 100 hp. Factory rated was 265 for '93-95. 265*.18 = 217 rear wheel HP. But if the car's engine actually made about 325 HP but was rated at only 265 for insurance purpose's, with the same .18% drive train loss, you'd be looking at roughly 265 rear wheel HP. There are many other factors that'd effect the numbers, but that's a rough idea.

With a manual valve body, the trans will not shift until you move the shifter. With a stock valve body, the trans will automatically shift to a higher gear to prevent engine damage if you reach red line. It will also downshift a gear when going up a hill based off throttle position.

With the manual valve body, if you put the shifter in first gear, the trans will stay in first gear all day until you physically move the shift to a higher gear. If you hit red line in first gear and hold it there, the trans will not shift to second to prevent engine damage, and possibility of destroying the engine results. The same goes for going up a hill. The trans will not "kick down" to the next lower gear. You have the physically do it yourself.

There are also reverse manual valve bodies. The only difference is your shifter goes from PRND321 to PRN123D.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:35 PM
4th Gear Member

yes I have heard that too,bye no meens am I saying my lt1 motor was a dog I love it ,an felt the power many times ,I guess some of them had problems I hear though so they went to ls1 motor ,if you look on ebay some are asking outrageous prices for used engines with 100.00 + on them ,the lts ones can be had dime a dozen from what I have seen ,well after chating with the 2 mechs an keene transmission with my tranny as a core ,they got 350 turbo for me 3 speed now oh well rubiltwith new coverter reman an the kit to hook it up ,I willjust need the kit that edlebrock sells ,playing around liken some said with the old one could cost as much as 800.00 so they have a 3 year 100.000 mile warranty an are local ,so after all that the way to go thanks guys hes looking into the speedo now ,one more week down will post pics of the swap soon ,thanks for all the help an jackwas right iwas wrong I just did not know ,sorry jack again sorry about the speling fix it later

Old 08-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

As far as what the transmissions can handle torque wise, the TH350 and 4L60/700R4 are comparable. You may regret going with the 350 for a few reasons:
No overdrive, hurting your highway gas mileage.
You will now need to buy an aftermarket frame attached torque arm mount. Your current transmission has the mount on the tail housing, a TH350 has no provisions for a mount.
You will also need to have a custom (longer) driveshaft made because the TH350 is shorter.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-18-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The bad part is the transmission is one of the easier issues to solve. I have never seen anyone get a PCM that has been disconnected from the engine still do "other" things. I have watched build thread on this and several other sites. I have seen people use the PCM to run the engine and Tune "other" things out but not the reverse. If it could be done how could all these companies sell these high dollar stand alone system if you could just grab a PCM and harness from a junk yard and use that.

The thing that has me the most confused is your mechanic. Is he a professional? he does this for a living? or just a guy that works on cars in his spare time. Most real mechanic know completely removing a federally require emission system is a fineable offence. Disabling an air bag is a fineable offence and disabling the anti lock brakes is a fineable offence. Not to mention the 2 safety items carry a huge liability. If any one is ever hurt it can go back on him. There is a huge difference if you do something to your own can as opposed to doing something for profit. I think it was a few years ago but the Government when after these TV shows for changing steering wheels to non-air bag ones. They got hit for 10k per wheel. Remember this is a federal issue so local rules do not matter and if you make a profit by making something less safe and someone get hurt even 10 years later just sign over everything you own and hope they don't garnish your future wages.

Without the PCM your whole dash will light up like a Xmas tree, speedo and tach will not work. I think in all the threads I have seen the guys make new dashes.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-18-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:08 PM
4th Gear Member

yes they both used to run at the local round track modifieds just did not do a conversion like this is my guess all old school or new the tranny is comeing with all I need accept one bracket we will get .an actually been known to throuble shoot problems from 75 miles away but he is just 30 years old so sure he like anyone does not know it all,i don't do a lot of highway driving I guess as far as wich tranny they matched up to my 95 at the tranny place ,well my speedo we are going to talk about that tomorrow ,the trany shop was looking into that as to what I need ,actually I am not worried about my speedo for the rest of this year got gps,will talk to him about the computer though to thanks guys we will get there with your help though I got to say ,I kinda wish I just thought about this last week oh well,yes I have watched them rebuild a few engines jeep s new stuff been few years since they worked on older there both certified ,its me thats not anything but a amature they told the tranny shop ,what we are doing an it includes the kickdown cable ,one thing ,oh I don't care about gas mileage ,the motor was built with gas mileage in mind ,an there is know way I could have bought or built a 383 stroker for what I paid for some guys reuse to much I am not reuseing much at all bye now ,if I wanted a stroker it would be the 406 with 202 heads an 650hp mabey one day , they have both built 400s old school,the 406 I bought was the best bang for the buck there an I just had choose not to reuse everything accept the power steering ,it needed a new ac comp anyhow oh yes alot of my wireing is getting taken out of the car wont be needed anymore lots of breathing room ,gorn not sure what you concern is I am getting fresh tranny th 350 with the right parts to hook it up ,whats your concern now let me know if they not doing something right I will say something ,but yes I think it there first transplant to old from new with the electronic automatic transmission they new if it was 93 we would not be talking about that or a manual tranny ,everyone has to learn something I know I have learned alot in the last month or so ,so your concern with the computer ,it want be hooked up to the engine or the tranny anymore ,let me know what your thinking ,anything you may not understand in probley my lack of knowledge oh to run my transmission with a new throttle body an computer was going to cost more then the tranny for 1000.00 in trade for mine ,its built to handle 500hp oh yes it comeing with the right tail shaft to,oh in Newhamshire my car now falls excempt to emissions its 96 an older now hear,i hear what you are saying like I said will have talk about deprograming mine to work for what it needs to work for an not,i for get who told me not everything runs off the computer certain thing run off the fuses ,?are you saying I still need a ecm of sorts for the early modal cars couse basically what I am doing is going back to like 1991 or earlier right ,thanks for safety concerns gorn an all your help an mccocnuts ,the 96 was 285i had hear 10 more hp so not sure how you come up with 265hp at the wheels mine felt like 300hp all day to me ,don't get me wrong ,but take the new ones with 500+ stock HP ,there not holding back there are they,oh yes I bought all the parts to I am just paying them the labor like said ,some shops mark things up an guys pay much more

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-19-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:39 PM
4th Gear Member
Default well not acoding to the tranny shop

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
As far as what the transmissions can handle torque wise, the TH350 and 4L60/700R4 are comparable. You may regret going with the 350 for a few reasons:
No overdrive, hurting your highway gas mileage.
You will now need to buy an aftermarket frame attached torque arm mount. Your current transmission has the mount on the tail housing, a TH350 has no provisions for a mount.
You will also need to have a custom (longer) driveshaft made because the TH350 is shorter.
they are adding a tail shaft to the tranny making it longer an a torque arm,as the tranny shop has delt with this before engine swaps,i will say something .but I am not going to worry anymore about this thanks for the tip though

Quick Reply: Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406