Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:56 PM
4th Gear Member

like said couse this forum is so great thank to help of the 2 guys an other ideas ,sound like the manual stage 2 shift kit is going to work ,don't think the actuall throttle body beeds replaceing but will find out ,I could probley be a lot more help if I could get help or input

Old 08-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am a little confused? Do you have a turbo 350 trans or a 4l60e transmission? I know there are full manual valve body kits for either but in my head I associate that with high end racing trans. When I suggested the 93 trans it was the cheapest option to keep the car working as it does now, You are still going to need to figure out the Toque converter clutch.

You do know that a 406 is a torque monster and your stock 20 year old trans is not going to hold up to that very long unless it has had a lot of upgrading. Seems like a waste of effort to put a bunch of work into it to make it work without upgrading it.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:51 PM
4th Gear Member

yes 4L60E an trango makes a kit to shift it manualy ,no one is talking about torq converter,being a novice or below that ,I was told the 350 turbo are one an the same ,its stock 1995 Camaro z28 transmission wich is alreada performance tranny being the corvet packadge they put in that ,ok lets say I went with the 93 tranny then would everything hook up couse with all the extra cost of things I may be able to do or not do ,I am not getting the Answer in one shot ,I am getting diffrent idias that add up to opions,the kit seems to make sence ,I am going to talk with my mech an summit raceing Monday morning summit has some real good tech support ,like said would the 93 tranny hook right in electricaly so we could have the same issue ,I don't think I have ever had one thing stump so many people ,seems the kit may or may not work now with other thing according to you ,thanks ,this kit allows me to shift at any rmp an it says nothing more is needed on one site ,now its either stage 1 2 3 that what I am not sure of ,guess not alot of guys doing this kinda swap the engine come with a external balance plate for my converter an a new fly wheel from the engine seller karl performance so that should cover your concern or suggestion thanks again we got most everything covered I think

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-17-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: add spelling
Old 08-17-2014, 01:35 PM
4th Gear Member

If you went with a '93 or earlier 700R4/4L60 from a car or '92 and earlier from a 2wd truck, you would not have to deal with the electronic shift. It is all done with a TV cable, everything from when the trans shifts to the line pressure is based off that cable. That is why everyone is telling you to go with it. Those year 700R4's are much more suited to what you are doing. And would require a linkage bracket to make it work and some adjustment but other than that, not much more.

You can use a TH350 or TH400, but you will need a new cross member and drive shaft. You also lose over drive, though with a 406, that shouldn't be too much of a concern.

What you are trying to do is not very hard as there are plenty of people who have switched to carb'd SBC's with non electronic transmissions for these cars.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:14 PM
4th Gear Member

so a manual throttle body is not going to work right ,reuseing the throttle postion sencor from the lt1 wont work an the transgo manual shifter kit wont work right ,an all these things an the 10 different Ideas I have got from the mech to sellers of the kits ,?? now would be is the 700r4 pretty much the same ,or the 4L60 an earlier going to hook right in with the wirers ,it does sound like cost of other things a lot,one person say the computer has to be reproramed as well ,thank you a lot of nice cars hear ,hope you see why my brain was rattled,i got so many hours of research ??ok who has a link to either trany wich one would work the best 700r4 4l60 looks like there all very similar one is electronically controlled .I got to say my mech owes me an apology couse this was simple until he forgot I had an automatic electronic tranny,i bought every single part so aleast is just the labor I am paying him.any other ideas ,thanks I guess I rebuilt one will have to do ,

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-31-2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 08-17-2014, 03:56 PM
4th Gear Member

so this wear i stand I got about 2 possibley 3 months left in the season until the car goes away ,so would the manual throttle valve work to get me thorugh I guess for few months looking for the cheapest way to drive my car not worried about speedo for now got gps ,I had plan to switch the tranny 2015 ,buy it in the winter you know yes .thanks

Old 08-17-2014, 04:09 PM
4th Gear Member

I know I owe jackfrost an apologies ,my knowledge of bull is limitless ,as soon as I can find him I will send a personal message,my mech is suppoed to be the guy people come 75 miles to trouble shoot stuff.so I realy though it was much simpler then that ,sorry again jack frost ,this has been eating my brain ,

Old 08-17-2014, 06:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i have about 6k into my trans and lt1 engine, pushing over 400hp at the crank. did the r&r myself though

Old 08-17-2014, 07:24 PM
4th Gear Member

Nice so do you think I can get bye with a manual valve body for the rest of this year ,I got to say up hear in the northeast rebuilding the lt1 would have been probley a lot more ,an with limited time ,down time for now ,I could see rebuild the lt1 one day,with the 400 I am going to have more torq then hp alot about 300hp to the wheels an 395 tlbs to ,the crank it 364hp an 458tlbs ,so that quick take off is what the engine will be good for ,should be noticeable, I am sure I was loseing some hp with the head leak,i was getting .stock lt1s alot of guys don't know but its rear only about 200 rwhp ,but I like its 33% power increace is what karl permormance figured I could have had it dynoed ,but all it takes is a good carb tuner to get what I need for this year ,I am replaceing the radiator with 3 core aluminum one tranny cooler fan relays fuel regulater ,summit chrome alternator serpentine pulleys all the hoses Ac compressor starter ,block off plate,will be adding headers next year an mabey some drive train work an suspention work ,the engine was agood deal its the parts that add up to about $6000.00 more like 7000.00 after more parts then mabey 8000.00 I did find few rebuilt 700r4 on ebay from 650.00 to 1000.00 for what I need ,there one guy out of virgia I may go with 650,00 200 shipping ,will handle 500hp ,an later on they have all the nice chrome pieces for the powers steering fuse box brake mast cover an they have a radiator chrome cover as well ,with the 400,i want be able to use much else ,they do have evertthing to cover the lt1 in chrome though chrome valve cover that you just put over the old ones ,cover for throttle body its does not end with these cars an chrome ,though I got to say I would like to have chrome door handles ,I have not seen them yet

Old 08-17-2014, 07:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would talk to a good local transmission guy, should be a builder in your area thats willing to talk to you. most builders like to help so long as its not going to take up allot of time. i know my trans builder ran into a problem finding a 4l60 for a 93 camaro and was recomending i use a manual shift to avoid the electonics part of it. for the 4l60 you would also need a lock switch for the lockup in the converter. dont know if the th350 has a converter lockup. thing is about a manual setup is you have to down shift as well as up shift nothing is auto.

Quick Reply: Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406