Project Bone Maro 2000 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Overdrive Member

Check under the dash for a worn bushing, or something in the way of the petals. Sometimes even the switch will make a popping sound if it is not in the bracket correctly.

Massey

Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Overdrive Member

My friend found an SS hood that was alot better quality in the glass work than the GM hood but it would not fit the GM scoop opening. It did come with a polished aluminum one that was machined really nice. We painted it black any way and put it on. I personally think that is looks better than the OEM egg crate looking one. I do not know of the carbon fiber hoods but there is at least one good glass hood out there. I will try to find out if he knows who the mfg. is on it. I cant remember and we took the sticker off when we painted it.

Massey

Old 03-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Overdrive Member

Hey we have not heard from you in a while how goes the project?

Massey

Old 03-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Overdrive Member

30K... Hell you can buy a new SS for that! WTF are the mechs trying to do to you. You can get them remanned engine for around 4K with a 30K warranty and most shops should be able to the labor for $1500 to $2000 which puts a new engine at a reasonable $5500 to $6000. If you could do the work yourself you are out a few $$$ for the engine and a few days of some work.

I did the engine in my Sarah myself in 3 days with normal shop tools and no lift. My engine is alot cheaper since it is a 6 cylinder and I was able to get one from a wrecking yard.

I would shop around a little more for getting an engine it should not cost that much.

Massey

Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Overdrive Member

Oh and are you sure your engine is toast?

Remember that piston slap issue I was talking about a while back... Well I found out that it was not piston slap at all but 5 spark plugs that were not tightened all the way. Hell they were only finger tight. now that I got the correct plugs and proper torque on them the car has more power and better mileage. These are pretty durable engines I would check things out a little more before condeming the engine.

Massey

Old 04-01-2011, 07:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

just read through this, dude why is the engine hosed?? the noise sounds like lifter on push rod to me, get the value covers off and have a look under there. If you see a loose rocker arm then thats cause the push rod had gone etc and the valve is always closed. It would also explain why its running poo and throwing engine codes?

Old 04-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Overdrive Member

Well I would hate to see you give up on this car. It to me from what I have seen here is not bad at all. It is about on parr for what my wife bought in her Z. Her piston slap was not piston slap at all, now her engine had alot more power and no odd noise. Could you have a loose plug or something like that? I would pay you $2500 for it sight unseen just from what I have seen in the pics you have posted. I just dont live anywhere near you to actually make it happen.

Massey

Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I know you would hate to part with this car, and since a new motor you said would take 30k or so, I've seen almost new 4th gens on craigslist with under 40k miles for around 18k. I mean I could have read wrong, but maybe that would be the way to go? Im not sure of your budget limit, but that could maybe be a good restart. Again just a newbie's opinion.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wow for 30k ill fly to you and change it overnight in your driveway. i think he mis quoted you and ment 3 to 4k.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

^ gotta love dedicated members :P Just thought I'd point it out

Quick Reply: Project Bone Maro 2000 Z28