Project Bone Maro 2000 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Overdrive Member

Your truck does not spin because of a system that GM built into the truck called Torque Management. Your truck has TBW and if you mash the throttle inside the truck the throttle body does not open all the wayat first. It monitors the difference between rear wheel speed and front wheel speed, and if the rear is spinning faster it will dial back the throttle and apply the brakes. The Corvette had the same system but being a performance car it could be overridden with your right foot. If you have traction control you may feel some resistance in the petal as you break the rear tires loose. If you have TC you will have a button on the dash that says ASR. Cars without TC do not have that button.

Massey

Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh yes, I should have mentioned that is with ASR off and currently I have on the stock size 245/50/16 tires...even with the posi traction it is just too easy to spin em...gonna go with 275/40/17 this spring me thinks...just looking for a good buy on rims I like.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Overdrive Member

check out the OEWheels site I posted my rims about earlier. They have some really nice rims, modeled after OEM Corvette and other manufacturers but with some variations in color or finish.

Massey

Old 02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Holy crap that is a good deal....didn't realize that was for all four the first time I clicked that link

Old 02-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Overdrive Member

Yes and they are just as nice as the OEM wheels. One of the local body shops in my area uses them when they cant get the factory wheels and you cant tell unless you really know the wheel. The GM wheels from OEW look exact only they are missing the little GM cast into the wheel. They even fit the OEM center caps and lugs.

Massey

Old 02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

DOH! silly propriatary parts GRRRR

Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Overdrive Member

Yes the alternators are internally regulated. They cost about $125 ish so I would get it tested first to find out if it is bad or not. Also make sure all grounds and cables are tight. Also check the battery posts for corrosion.

Massey

Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Overdrive Member

The air pump is on the driver's side behind the front bumper cover, you can access it pretty easy from the access panel under the bumper for the fog lights. Yea it is a simple electric pump but the computer likes to talk to it so... Yea a improperly installed Cat can cause you issues... Been hearing alot of stuff about cats being put on wrong around here the last few weeks.

Massey

Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Overdrive Member

The stock 98-02 brakes were not too bad. The calipers were floating type but made out of Aluminum and were dual piston. Not bad but could be better. The brake hoses are standard type steel reinforced rubber hose, again not bad but could be better. Slotted and drilled rotors will dissipate heat better than the stock rotors will.

Massey

Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Running OEM replacement rotors and ceramic pads with the stock brake system on my Z and it stops just fine...eventually I would like to autoX so I will be upgrading the system but right now it is my daily driver and the stock setup is just fine.

Quick Reply: Project Bone Maro 2000 Z28