Project Bone Maro 2000 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:56 AM
Overdrive Member

CHeeks the 5.3 has less HP stock than the LS1 does. Also some of the 5.3s are Gen IV which has a different reluctor on the crank (in a different location as well) and some other changed to sensors that make doing that swap not so friendly.

The LS6 on the other hand is the same Gen III engine and based on the exact same block so the swap to an LS6 is as simple as plugging everything in. The LS6 from say a Corvette put out almost 100 more ponies than the LS1 did, and if you get the LS6 from a GTO you get about 50 more HP.

Massey

Old 07-06-2011, 08:29 AM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Massey
CHeeks the 5.3 has less HP stock than the LS1 does. Also some of the 5.3s are Gen IV which has a different reluctor on the crank (in a different location as well) and some other changed to sensors that make doing that swap not so friendly.

The LS6 on the other hand is the same Gen III engine and based on the exact same block so the swap to an LS6 is as simple as plugging everything in. The LS6 from say a Corvette put out almost 100 more ponies than the LS1 did, and if you get the LS6 from a GTO you get about 50 more HP.

Massey
wait, what?

The difference between the 5.3 and 5.7 is negligible at best (~20hp). That "lack" of power is easily made up with a cam something that is much more affordable being you spent a 1/4 of the money of a 5.7.

Finding 5.3s and 4.8s are becoming easier and easier, its not difficult to find the year you need.

Also, ALL of the LSx based engines, ie 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2, 7.0 are based off the same block, regardless of being a GEN III or IV they will still work no problem. Theres no shortage of 5.3 GEN III engines.

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but they never put an ls6 into the gto, they either got an ls1 or an ls2. While in some cases, the ls6 does put out around 100 extra hp, once again, the cost offset between the ls6 and 5.3 motor allows more money in the budget to afford a set of heads and a cam which makes that power up and you'll still be cheaper. Hell, you could buy a 6.0 cam and heads and still have money left over

Old 07-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Overdrive Member

I know the LS series engine are all based on the same block but there are big differences in the Gen IV engines that make the swap not so friendly. The Reluctor on the crank being just one of those things. I am not saying it cannot be done just that it is not as easy as using a Gen III block. The 5.3s I have owned have been far less than 20 HP lower. My wifes LS1 is rated at the crank by GMs words for 315. My 2004 and 2006 Avalanche's both were rated at 265hp at the crank, both with Gen III 5.3s. The 5.3L engines that were used in the Monte Carlo SS's were Gen IV based and very few parts interchange. The GTO's I could be wrong about I know they came with 6.0L engines same as the Vette, so I figured they would be LS6's as well. Sorry for the mistake.

We had some one here a while back that was trying to fit a 5.3L in his camaro and found it to not go as well as he wanted. THe LS1 intake and oil pan didnt want to fit the engine and that provided him with clearence issues. If i remember correctly he scrapped the idea and bought a new car. I dont know how well the fitment of the LS1 intake to the 5.3L heads are but I have first hand experience that LS1 heads are shorter than 5.3L GEN III heads (not sure about the GEN IV 5.3L heads tho).

Massey

Old 07-06-2011, 01:41 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm not calling anyone a liar, but I can assure you without a doubt that all the LS1 accessories will fit on a 5.3 block.

We just swapped out a blown up 5.7 (LS1) for a 5.3 in a car and the ls1 intake went on just fine. We had no fitment or installation issues, it was essentially a direct swap, and the cost saved over buying a new 5.7 is unreal, you can do a damn nice set of heads and cam hell, maybe even some nitrous for the savings over buying an LS1.

Also, the LS6 is a 5.7 just like the LS1, different heads, cam and intake make the difference in power, the only 6.0s were ls2s and the lq truck blocks.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Overdrive Member

From what it sounds like I could have beaten this car in an all out race using Sarah. I know for a fact that Sarah would never have a chance against Diamond no matter who is driving what car. Hell John Force or his kids could never catch Diamond if they were driving Sarah. Now that being said I can say your car must have issues.

If your car had a stock good running LS1 I would think that unless you are a total power junky you would be happy with it's power. I have broken the tires loose on Diamond at 40mph after turning the ASR off and punching it hard. It was just like a squak when shifting gears hard! I have never had a car be able to do that from that speed. If you want the car to sit happy in the 12s then a stock LS1 with a few mods can make that happen at a fraction of the price you are quoting.

Intake,
LS6 manifold with EGR delete ( or the LSx intake would be good here too)
Headers (LT for best performance)
High flow cat
good cat back exhaust
better gears
4L60E set up for racing
a bumpier cam (call comp cams and tell them what you want for best results here)
and wrap it all up with a tune. you should be close to 12s

You will want to impove the handling and launch of the car so play with the rear suspension first. You can rebuild the rear with UMI goodies for less than 2K and a few hundred more will connect the subframes and stiffen up the car a bit.

If this were me I would be in the 12s for around 10K incuding the engine, that is much less than $25K or so you are thinking.

Im just sayin!

Massey

Old 07-19-2011, 10:14 AM
2nd Gear member

Looks nice Darkfox.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Looking good. Did you have the rest of the car body work done?

Old 07-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Overdrive Member

I can make out a few of the numbers. It seems you were traveling at 30mph with a throttle of 30% but the rpm seems to be high at 3100, your spark advance is 28° your short term and long term fuel trims are not using numbers that make any sense. Anyway I hope this makes since to you because it does not to me.

Massey

Old 07-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Overdrive Member

Unless the condenser or evaporator has physical damage to the core or fittings they should be fine left in the car. Hoses are usually good unless like on my truck the seat for the schrader valves are corroded keeping them from sealing properly then hoses are usualy not needed either. Now if when you remove the Oriface tube and if you find metal debris caught in there then yes you will need to replace the accumulator again. (I cant remember if you replaced it the last time or not) Also if you find debris in the system you will need to have it flushed out. So really it all depends on what you find when it is taken apart before you can tell what you really need.

Massey

Old 07-29-2011, 05:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if all there doing is scanning for codes you should be able to have everything tuned out so it wont show any codes. if they look for real info then you need to have a working emission system.

Quick Reply: Project Bone Maro 2000 Z28