Project Bone Maro 2000 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Have it scanned. It may not be throwing codes but still have issues that could be repaired.
I think a compression test would tell you a lot on the condition of your motor. It might explain the lack of power and poor fuel mileage.
The rear probably has wear, no doubt. I would just pop off the cover to see. It may just be low on lube.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Overdrive Member

To change the headlights and front park lights you dont need to drop the bumper. Just remove the 5 plastic rivit/clips in the middle and pull that forward and you get plenty of room to get the headlights out and once they are out you have access to the park lights. I change my park light bulbs by pulling the headlights out since it is much easier than going from that little trap door underneath. Brakes going to the floor... not good... you sure it is a MC and PBB? A leak in one of the lines will cause the same problem... check out the flex hoses to make sure they are not leaking. Those are much simpler to change then the MC and PBB.

Glad to hear you got the BCM fixed. I personally have done about 8 of them now for people that come into work (O'reilly's) and my friends too. I think I have skinned my knuckles on 3 of the cars so far.

Massey

Old 06-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Overdrive Member

get the part from your fav local part store, it will have a lifetime warranty and be alot cheaper than GMPD parts. The GMPD are are remanned as well but usually with only a 1 or 2 year warranty. Just because they have the GM parts Depot tag on them does not mean they are better and actually they are usually bought from places like A1C and other after market remanufacturers. GM cannot afford to reman all the parts it takes in.

Booster with lifetime warranty
List: Search for 'power brake booster' | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Master Cyl.
List: Brake Master Cylinder - 2000 Chevrolet Camaro | O'Reilly Auto Parts

This is $200 for both parts.

Massey

Old 06-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Overdrive Member

This is a job for a small guy in the shop. The PBB needs to be unbolted from under the dash. GM sells the reservoir alone for less than $50 so you may want to try that route.

Massey

Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Overdrive Member

I still dont get why you would swallow the core when you can get that money back?

It is not that hard of a job really but yes the whole system ends up getting flushed out by the time it is all bled out. The worst part about it is hanging upside down under the dash... Last time I did this on a F body I took the front seat out so I could lay down flat while I was working.

Massey

Old 06-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Overdrive Member

I dont know what he is talking about saying the LS1 is a slow engine. Mine will break the tires loose from 40 if I stab it hard with the ASR off. I have done it more than once on dry pavement. My engine is 140K on the clock and bone stock. The car was not abused by previous owners so my engine still has some good life left in her. Stock to stock the LS1 Camaros are only .2 seconds slower than the new Camaros, and the new ones have 435 HP. It is really easy to get a 4th gen to out run the 5th gens and it can be done alot cheaper than with the 5th gens.

Glad you went with the sensible repair on the brakes. PBBs do not die that often and I rarely ever sell them but I do sell MCs quite a bit.

Massey

Old 06-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Overdrive Member

If it performs that bad compared to mine then you would prolly be really happy with the power the car should have. A crate engine would give you a new bottom end and also allow you to do the mods you want and get the gains you should from them. The LS1 when running good is no slouch in the power department, and it is not too hard to squeeze a few more horses out of the engine.

Massey

Old 06-10-2011, 06:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default build your motor

Save your money, don't bother doing the upgrades on your existing motor. Your mechanic has a better general idea about your motor than you.
Those short blocks at Texas-Speed are already built. Buy some good heads and build one up. Add the cam and intake you like.
Then you will be ready to rock and roll. I imagine you will want someone else to put the new motor in your car.

Last edited by Psycho; 06-10-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:59 AM
Overdrive Member

I understand the burden of a gift. I just got my Mom's old 88 Lesabre T-Type back from a friend. It was a gift to me but he left me the car without an engine or trans an quite a few other missing parts. The body is good and complete but being an inop car I cant keep it at my place. I cant afford storage for it and I dont have any resources for storage until I can get an engine for it. Basicly I dont want to lose the car but right now I cant keep it. Not only that I have 3 other vehicles that need money and my time as well. Yes I understand...

Good to hear that the car stops good now. I took my Sarah around the block yesterday for the fist time in 3 weeks and wow what a difference between the car and truck. The truck has more power but the car easily is much quicker both starting and stopping. I also feel you about the mileage. I get mid 20s in the Camaro and mid teens in the truck. I fill up at about the same time (once a week) but the Camaro costs me $40-50 per tank and the Truck is $60-80 per tank! Sheesh.

Massey

Old 06-20-2011, 09:19 AM
1st Gear Member

You have 2 sharp cars there. The truck looks clean and sporty, nice Z71.
Supercharging surely won't help the truck's mileage tho.
Personally, I dig the Camaro.
We just came back from vacation at Myrtle Beach, where my son and I watched the local cars cruise the strip. The Camaro is much more readily recoginzed for it's performance than a truck. Most people "get it". The Camaro's get a lot more attention.
Try Craig's-listing your Camaro and see what you can get for it. Sell this beast and drive the truck until you find a better car.
I think you just picked the wrong Camaro to try to fix up. It sure had a lot of problems.

Quick Reply: Project Bone Maro 2000 Z28