82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Questions for a turbo 350 carb build

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 03:19 AM
Default Questions for a turbo 350 carb build

Hey Guys!

I Recently acquired a chevy 350carb to replace the old 305 sitting in my 87 z-28. While the motor is out I want to get as much done to it as possible. I want to slap on a single turbo and do a little upgrades as possible to save money for now. I just want to get it started. As for my Questions:

1. What kinda power is the stock tranny good for? Can I leave it stock for this build?
2. I was thinking a holly 4bbl 650cfm DP as my carb. Any thoughts?
3. Vortec heads?
4. Should I be worrying about internals? pistons, rods, etc...?
5. Lastly, being thats it's carbureted, is there anything I have to do differently then fuel injected for this build? (that, if anything I'm most hung up on)
Thank you
-Faalvino

Old 12-25-2011, 11:32 AM
3rd Gear Member

I see you are in new york. Make sure you check emission laws before you begin. That could limit what can be done.

The stock 700R4 trans can handle as much power as you give it, providing its rebuilt to what you plan on putting to it.

As far as internals go, yes you should be concerned, especially if its a tired 350 thats going in place of the tired 305. I have never done a turbo build, but anything more than a few pounds of boost will put more strain on everything. Headers for the turbo could prove to be tricky, there are some out there though. You will need to provide the mechanical fuel pump and remove/destroy the in tank pump as I don't think you'll effectively pull through that. There is a thread on here showin how guys use air pressure to render the stock in tank pump useless and allow your xGPM @6ish psi to flow through just fine.

As far as heads and carb go....you better have a solid plan in place for those before you even think about turbo. Have you figured out how you plan on running timing yet, as your stock computer will not likely handle the timing changes require of boost.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by djs383
I see you are in new york. Make sure you check emission laws before you begin. That could limit what can be done.

The stock 700R4 trans can handle as much power as you give it, providing its rebuilt to what you plan on putting to it.

As far as internals go, yes you should be concerned, especially if its a tired 350 thats going in place of the tired 305. I have never done a turbo build, but anything more than a few pounds of boost will put more strain on everything. Headers for the turbo could prove to be tricky, there are some out there though. You will need to provide the mechanical fuel pump and remove/destroy the in tank pump as I don't think you'll effectively pull through that. There is a thread on here showin how guys use air pressure to render the stock in tank pump useless and allow your xGPM @6ish psi to flow through just fine.

As far as heads and carb go....you better have a solid plan in place for those before you even think about turbo. Have you figured out how you plan on running timing yet, as your stock computer will not likely handle the timing changes require of boost.
Ahhh Some good information here!

okay lets see...It's not exactly a tired 350, I has less then 40xxx miles on it but I understand your point so now I will plan to do some motor work (rods and pistons ehh?). As for the Transmission, I have the stock 5spd tranny not the 700r4...any thoughs on that? Also, For the timing I have a friend lined up who can tune it and set proper timing. Ill give some more consideration on the head, carb combo...If I can't figure this out, all motor is where my heart lives haha

P.S I don't think emissions will be a problem...I have some friends with turbo mustangs etc.and they have no problem with it.