82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Gas tank removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Default Gas tank removal

Hello,
I just got my first car yesterday an '89 RS with a 305. It needs a fuel pump. My Dad and I are trying to do the work ourselves and are stumped at getting the tank out. Everything is unbolted, by the book, and we are at the part where it should slide out, but it doesn't.
The filler neck is hung up and the tank is hitting the passenger side track bar mount.
Dad thought about cutting off the muffler (Flowmaster) but before we do, would like some suggestions from those that have done this before.
Thanks
ps, i just hijacked an existing thread with the same comments, but thought maybe I should start a new one.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I did my 91 this past summer, it's a lot of fun isn't it!
I assume you already: removed the panhard/lateral bars, unbolted the shocks from the bottom mounts, disconnected the fuel lines, fuel return line, and the vent line, and unplugged the sending unit wire that's up in the floor hump?
You still need to remove the rear exhaust section, the heat shield, gas cap, the gas door, and mounting cup from the quarter panel.
The back of the car needs to be jacked way up in the air by the frame, not the suspension. Jack it up until the rear tires start to lift off the ground. Be sure to block the body of the car securely so you'll live long enough to tell us how it's all going! Then remove the right rear spring, it will come right out. Now you can start to drop the tank, right side first. The tank still won't fall right out on it's own. You need to drop it at an angle while turning it one way or another. You needed to remove the rear spring because the tank has to slide over into the area where the spring was. Try to remember how you got it out so you can get it back in the same way.
If you do a gas tank removal search here, you may find where I posted some pictures of my car in the air. If you can't find it, let me know and I can put them up in here.