LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Fuel tank Removal

Old 08-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Default Fuel tank Removal

Hello all,

I have a 93 Z-28 and had to replace the fuel pump.

As of now I have all the items disconnected (exhaust, heat shields, fuel lines, etc.) I took out both bolts holding the tank straps in place, pulled them down and the tank did not move.

I noticed that the tank straps adhered to the tank (kind of like double sided tape) and had to be pulled off.

Is there something similar on the top of the tank? Should I just pull harder on the tank?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did u disconnect the filler unit/hose were the gas cap is. if so it should come down. u will probly need to drop the rear differential a little to get it out.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:00 AM

Yes, I removed the plastic piece around the gas tank filler tube. The rear end is not in the way (yet ), the tank (with the straps released) is still in the original position.

I have not tried to pull on it yet, I just assumed it would drop down when the straps were removed.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Go ahead....yank on it. But you still need to disconnect your shocks and panhard/lateral bars, jack the rear of the body as high as you can until the rear wheels start to come off the ground, and pull out the right coil spring (unless some of that is included in your "etc"). Even at that point, the tank still won't just "fall" out. It's still a bit tricky figuring how to wiggle/turn/twist the tank to get it out of there.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

i just went threw this about a week ago actually. i have a 95 camaro i replaced the fuel pump in. i indeed did have to drop the rear end out of the way. after that the tank came right out. if you have any questions just let me know and ill see if i can help.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the help. I did as suggested and pulled harder and the tank broke loose.

Now to drop the rear end....ugh.

By the way, there seems to be many different companies that build compatible fuel pumps.
Which one should I choose? AC-Delco, Delphi, Airtex, Bosch
(I do not want to drop this tank again anytime soon )

Old 08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

well i got http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ra...135-bgkha.aspx i know its not quite a stock replacement. it does require some rewireing and such to the pump conectors and ground. but it works good. my car runs like a champ now. but about haveing to replace it. sometimes things just happen and you get a bad part. but not that often. but if your wanting to do alot of upgrades to your camaro. id sugest going ahead and getting a better pump since down the road your probly gonna have to replace it anyways.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Should have just done the trap door method - all the work you did preparing just to be able to start removing the pump and you could have cut a hole in the floor pan in ~15 minutes to get to the same point.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

that is true. but i liked to keep the body not cut or anything. plus you would need a good metal cutter and such to make it a good job.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I used my dad's old electric angle grinder... thing's probably older than I am (22) - we did buy a new 6" cutting wheel though but that's only a few bucks at the local hardware store. I can understand not wanting to cut a hole in the floorboard but in my opinion it's no different than the rubber grommets all over the floorboards already except that it's a little bigger. To each their own - if I ever have to get to my pump again, all I have to do is pull back the carpet, undo the 20 screws, pry the metal plate off (we used RTV sealant to adhere and seal it in addition to the screws), and there's the pump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel tank Removal