Third generation Ignition cylinder.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010 | 11:56 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
OH and even if there is a way to remove the center of the tumbler out of the whole cylinder you cannot get to the rolled pin that is pressed into the end of the cylinder which acts as both a stop to keep you from turning the cylinder too far and as a pin that keeps the center and the outer shell together. Maybe you dont know as much as you think you do.

Massey
Well Masseyexpect
But on a Sunday morning I had to call AAA locksmith with my problem of a stuck key in the ignition (reoccuring problem). He looked at it and said he had to replace the cylinder. Watched him remove the complete cylinder and replace with a new one wirhout the steering wheel being removed. Handed me the old ignition cylinder and said my old keys will not work (pissed because I just made new keys) and started the car right up. Gave me TWO new keys (did not cut them) and a bill for $75.00 for 10 minutes work. Which I was very happly to pay.
So I suggest you get a get little more knowledge or keep doing it your way... good luck.

Old 06-04-2010 | 01:24 PM
Overdrive Member

OK NP and you keep spending an arm and a leg getting some one else to do your work for you. Oh yea I called local locksmiths around here and none have confirmed your story. Unless that retaining bolt is missing this is not possible. I will do my own work and save me money and know my stuff is fixed correctly.

Oh and before you think I am a shadetree mechanic I have done body repair for 4 years, and a mechanic for GM, Ford and independants for 20. I guess I need to learn how to do my job. Good luck with what ever you do

To the OP on this you can call his locksmith and have some magic performed on your car for $75 or you can head to the part store spend about $20 on a cylinder and a few bucks more on the correct tool and follow my instructions.

Massey

Old 06-06-2010 | 01:25 AM
2nd Gear member

I'm not trying to take sides here because both of you seem to be much more experienced than I am. I did an 85 firebird and my 88 camaro several years ago and both had a torx bolt retaining the upper part of the key cylinder. Maybe there's more than one type of cylinder retainer styles.

Old 06-06-2010 | 08:21 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by sewerrat
I'm not trying to take sides here because both of you seem to be much more experienced than I am. I did an 85 firebird and my 88 camaro several years ago and both had a torx bolt retaining the upper part of the key cylinder. Maybe there's more than one type of cylinder retainer styles.

For these years of car that is EXACTLY how the lock cylinder is retained.

Back in the late 60's to early 80's the non tilt column has a retainer pin but to get to that you need to still remove alot of the column.

Ford on the other hand has a small hole under the column that you can push a screwdriver into while the cylinder is in the acc position and pull the cylinder out of the truck/car without removing the wheel.

Massey

Old 06-07-2010 | 01:29 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Here's an exploded view of the steering column, pay attention to parts 18 & 20: http://www.shbox.com/1/steering_column_exploded.jpg
I've had more than one column dismantled at one stage or another as well. And my 3rd gen repair manual also confirms the need to remove the retaining screw to get the lock cylinder out.
Now, could a locksmith remove the ignition lock without removing the steering wheel? Sure, by breaking it apart just like a car thief would. The question is, what did the locksmith half-*** to get a new lock in, with the retaining screw still in place? Or did he break that out too, and Krazy Glue the new lock into the column. No matter what was done, compromised security would be the end result.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 06-07-2010 at 01:31 AM.