So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 AM
Overdrive Member

LOL Example. If I mail a letter to my neighbor. It will go to Grand rapids first then back to Muskegon PO then to my neighbor. Funny huh? Well the warm fuzzy feeling is fading. I got no email today from DIY. I'm in no hurry though. I have to set up a little bench in the basement to build and test this thing. Besides moving the garage shelves down there (which I got half done now) I wanted a small work area with some simple hand tools. So I can fix the kids toys or the wife vacuum for the 15th time. That way I dont have to go to the garage which is cold and dark most of the year. The basement is huge and the 9' ceiling makes it livable for my 6'4" frame. I have an old computer desk from my old desk top. It will work perfect to assemble. Just need a shop light to hang up and some little stuff. A bench style soldering iron is coming from Amazon.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

Speaking of GR, that's where most of the holdups occur in mail delivery to me. As expected, my new belt just made it to GR from Pennsylvania. Today was supposed to be the delivery date (I even paid a little extra for priority 2nd day) and I'll be lucky if it gets here by Saturday. Oh well, hope you hear something good about your stuff today. Having a workshop inside is nice during the colder months for sure. Sounds like you'll have a good setup too! I started off in the basement porting these heads but have re-located to the dining room table! LOL The table is the perfect height and the room is separate from where we usually eat. Throw a shipping blanket down, pull up a stool and it's working great. I've got new slate for redoing the floor anyway this winter so the shavings aren't a big deal. Nice and warm, well lit, closer to the fridge and the remote will reach the stereo from there. Couldn't ask for more.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your creation!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I love my basement work area! I set up a nice big 10' bench down there when we bought the home in 1989, and it gets used a lot for projects and home repairs. Problem is I can rarely find the bench top! Every so often I have to do a major cleanup and then it's cluttered again in a few weeks! I do ammo reloading on the bench also, so it gets a lot of use!

Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 77nomad
LOL Example. If I mail a letter to my neighbor. It will go to Grand rapids first then back to Muskegon PO then to my neighbor. Funny huh?
This is better. Say you want to send a package to your next door neighbor, via UPS next day air. Your package gets flown to their international air cargo distribution center in Louisville Kentucky, packages are sorted, then flown back and put on a truck to it's destination.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Overdrive Member

Know wonder they charge so much. I get raped every time I go to the UPS store up the street. I try to use flat rate boxes as much as possible.

The basement wont get a bench. I have one in the garage that is never to bee seen again. I think I put a vise on it but it hasnt been clean since the day after I built it. The basement will be my old desk and some shelves and a few of those storage bins from Stack On. I get them at Wally World for 10 bucks or so and there made in the USA. There made from a flexible plastic instead of the brittle stuff that cracks and breaks. Maybe a chunk of peg board and a vise and I'll be running. I have two 30000 BTU heaters. One is Kerosene but it will work better than dragging a 100# propane tank down the steps.

DIY sent an email today. Package should be here the 8th, down side? Someone has to sign for it. The wife doesnt know yet. I could tell her its a part for the Jeep. she broke the window regulator the first frost we had. Power windows suck in cold weather. All of us northerners know that. Speaking of, its damn cold tonight.

78, all you need now is that TH350 marinating in the bath tub. Funny thing is my dad got divorced about three years ago from my step mom of 30 yrs. He has a giant rec room off the back of his house. All us kids were never allow to be out there because she did want anyone to stain the carpet. So now he's ripped it up and put down laminate flooring. We installed a wheel chair ramp for my brother years ago. Now he's rolling engine stands up into that room so he can have them in the house while he does his final assembly. Thats what he says he gonna do at least. I had to laugh when he told me.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM
3rd Gear Member

If it's getting delivered on the 8th (Saturday) it must be Fedex? If you're close enough to the Fedex facility, you can go in ahead of time and pre-sign for something if you know you won't be home when it gets delivered. Or just tell them you want to pick it up instead of having it delivered? Again, not advocating marital deception but just a thought.

Good idea on the trans! LOL Would marinating it help "season" it so nothing will stick to it? Bet it would make it faster too. The thought of converting one of the bathroom tubs into a parts washer has crossed my mind but those darn kids would probably be in there bugging me all the time wanting to use the tub to wash their parts.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I purchased a converter cover for my Austin from Skip White in Tenn. last week. It went FedEx, and it spent 3 days in KC! Showed it leaving Tn., then arriving in KC, then checked in KC, then sorted KC, then finally leaving KC. So I guess once a FedEx package gets to KC it sees a lot of shuffling before it heads West!

Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 AM
3rd Gear Member

Fedex doesn't seem to have a good track record going this time of year. I should've got my coil spring compressor today that was shipped from CA. I look at the tracking and it doesn't even show the package has been picked up yet! Merchant says "oh yeah, it's been shipped!" but nothing even shows up yet. Been like that for 5 days now. Really irritating. Not that it's better for anyone but I was starting to think that it was me that was cursed.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:15 AM
Overdrive Member

My stuff got shipped USPS. No pre signing there. LOL It shows arriving at 10:38pm in Grand Rapids. That is 35-45 min literally down the road. Remember I'm blocks off the highway. How much you want to bet it sits in GR all day tomorrow? LOL Funny I'm watching Polar Express with my oldest right now and as soon as I typed Grand Rapids they said it in the movie. Wierd huh?

I got my stuff for the basement tonight afterwork. Just need to get down there with some parts. I cant wait, actually I cant believe how bad I want to mess with this thing. It's really like waiting for Christmas as a kid.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I ordered a mini starter for the gasser after I ordered the cover, and it came USPS before the cover! But I was surprised the seller on the starter didn't insure it. It was just sitting on the porch when I went out the door. Our mailbox drops into the wall, and we have an inside door on it, so we always have to check the porch to see what else might be outside, or risk losing it to thieves.

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)