So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Overdrive Member

There are gonna be hiccups with a new project. To answer your question about paint, which I forgot to. I have heard the Eastwood looks good. You dont need to topcoat POR either. They say not to actually. Anyhow back to my point. The bottom of my car is POR and covered with gloss black rustoleme sprayed from a guy. Its cut 25% with acetone, it dries pretty tough. If I were to have to pull my tranny I know its gonna get scraped so the cheap rustoleme can be touched up with rattle can or a respray for a whole 8 dollars.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

Forgot to ask, but what does your new T Shirt say? Considering the name of the product, the possibilities are endless! Please tell me it says "That's what she said"

Old 12-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Overdrive Member

I dont know. I hope it isnt stupid. The DIY logo on the ECU itself is not that appealing to me though. I saw one from another dealer that said Plug In Megasquirt Product. It just had a crown and the word PIMP on it. Not my style either.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

I can certainly respect that. I was just playin' of course. I have a hard time wearing any type of novelty shirts, even if I'm working out in the garage. You should be finding out pretty quick though huh? There should be a brown colored sleigh in my driveway today delivering some new carbide burrs for me too! Exciting times....

Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you've got a neighbpr who works on trannies it's a big asset. Not only to answer questions, but the specialty tools to pull it apart. The TH350 trans isn't all the complicated, especially with all the reference videos and books, but all automatics take special tools, and they cost enough to make do it yourself a bit spendier.
I looked into building a 700r4, but the tools stopped me for just a single trans build. If I was going to do several, then the cost could be shared.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Overdrive Member

I think they are shipping today. I got an email telling me they were missing a part and gonna ship everything except that.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm only aware of one tool that I don't have to do the rebuild, the lip seal remover, which my neighbor has. I should have everything else I believe. Still debating on saving up for the Monster trans, I just found out today they have a layaway program! The guys at Monster all seem pretty cool and helpful, always offering some kind of deal. I absolutely, positively want to learn how to rebuild a TH350 and this video I got sure makes it look doable. My neighbor's comment to me was "I can rebuild them in an hour!" Apparantly he used to work on the drivetrains in a lot of the bigger rigs in the military (before ending up as a recruiter lol) and has a degree related to something automotive/mechanical? I'm confident he'll come in handy at some point. I would love to have a self-built trans underneath me in the Camaro but that Monster sure would be nice too!

Man that's irritating when you're excited to get something you ordered and find out there's a delay in shipping or something's backordered! I'm sure it would just be nice to have the Megasquirt even if you're not installing it right away. Hope it gets there quick. Here it is closing in on 4:30 and the mailman still isn't here with my new burrs! Never fails.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 AM
Overdrive Member

The customer service has been pretty good so far. I sent a message asking if they were holding shipment until they got the 3x expansion card LATE Fri. This morning they sent me a message back apologizing for the confusion saying they will wait until all the parts arrive before shipping. They were expecting them today or tomorrow at the latest. I sent back a simple Thanks. She sent another message later saying they have tracking info showing they were supposed to get two packages from UPS but only got one. So she is expecting the truck tomorrow with my stuff and they will ship out as soon as they receive their packages. I can say its much more comforting than the three months I waited for my suspension without so much a receipt sent from the guy. That all turned out in the end but the initial HOLY CRAP I GAVE A STRANGER 3300 BUCKS AND GOT SCREWED! moment I had.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Even if you're not in a hurry or need it asap, it's always nice to deal with suppliers that ship quickly. I love prompt service, and it will get more of my money than those who drag their feet.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like your order is in good hands with those folks. Definitely has to be more comforting that your suspension order. I'm all about quick shipping when I order something. But that's why I like Summit, never taken more than 2 days to get anything from them. I order A LOT of things online as walking around stores doesn't work real well for me with my back. I can't stand it when it takes days to ship something that you already paid for. Most of the time however, it's not the merchant that holds things up.... Enter USPS. I'll give a recent example, ordered a new serp. belt for the truck which shipped out of Ohio. Why the belt went to Pennsylvania from there instead of up one state to MI, I'll never know. Ordered it last Wed. and it's still not here.

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)