So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Overdrive Member

LOL You want economic heart ache come on by. I live in one of the worst counties in one of the worst states. 10 yrs before the great recession our unemployment rate was above 10%. Nafta and the auto industry moving over seas did most of the damage. It seams to be coming back some. Its weird though. Instead of making Chevy or Ford parts I make seat belt parts for Takata. They supply names like Hyundai and Kia.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:36 AM
2nd Gear member

On a different note, did you ever put that 6.0L into the dodge for your buddy?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Overdrive Member

He fired it on the stand Friday. Its close. I have pics he text me and its looking awseome. The truck camer back from the body shop a little over a week ago. We were going to try and make it to a drag race called Mopar against the world on 7/28. But he told me yesterday he isn't going to make it.

We came up with a conversion u joint to make his stock drive shaft work. The Monster Transmission 700R4 is here. he waited almost a month for MSD to send the coil packs, turns out they're going to discontinue them. So he had to get a stock set sent to him. The little stuff we have been working on at work hasn't been that challenging but it has been time consuming. The goal is to be able to drop the stock 4.7 back in if this motor dies. So to do that we can't hack the wiring. He wants all the stock instruments to work so we have been making the Dodge parts work in the GM block. Most modern vehicles have a wiring harness for the ECU and one for the gauges. So we figure if we use Dodge sensors it will be plug and play. But some of the threads are different. So things like the temp sensor we drilled the center out of the GM one and threaded it to accept the Dodge. Friday I drilled the Billet oil cap he had so he could put a PCV on it. The Moroso valve covers he bought didn't have any holes in them. The carb is one of the new Quick Fuel Slayer carbs. It's puuurdy.

So I'm dropping off a fuel pressure regulator tomorrow so he can choke down the stock fuel pump. In theory if we reduce the pressure the flow should increase. Hopefully enough to feed 500hp. Then after all the bugs are worked out we will build stands to mount to the engine mounts he bought. No sure what brand they are but they have some adjustment to them. Then a simple trans crossmember. Like I said earlier we will set the engine in so that the driveshaft length will be dead on without cutting. The 6.0 is like 6" narrower than the 4.7 and after we ditch the stock mechanical fan on the Dodge there is plenty of room for movement front and back.

I wish I could get the pics posted. I will make it a priority to get some. Maybe a video of the beast.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Overdrive Member

Hey I worked on my junk today. I mocked up the Magnaflow exhaust. I have read some horror stories about people not getting them to fit. Mine seems to fit its just mounting it without putting holes in my floor board thats the issue. I'm going to get creative i think.

Notice my stool makes the perfect support. Rolled it under and hit the lever, it pushed the exhaust right in place.
Name:  photobucket-9109-1342409927056.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  89.1 KB
I do NOT want to drill holes in my floor pan to use these brackets. Any ideas?
Name:  photobucket-4257-1342409900700.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  77.0 KB

i forgot to get pics of the tips, they exit down the center of the lower 1/4 panel. I will cut them so the end is parallel to the bottom of the 1/4.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I don't know where stuff falls under your car, but for my exhaust, I used longer bolts for my rear seat lap belts. Then attached exhaust hangers on those bolts where they are now sticking out, and nutted it on. I call it "the Camaro 69 exhaust hanger mod". Pass it on! lol

Old 07-16-2012, 05:47 AM
2nd Gear member

Sorry man im no help either, 12 years ago when we hung my flowmaster we drilled the floor.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yep, I drilled my floor on the angle where it's near the seatback. Just made some large sheetmetal washers to sandwich the floorpan, and then touched it up on both sides with more black paint to prevent rusting.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Overdrive Member

69 Camaro mod, got it. I looked at that myself actually. I think they plan on me drilling for the tailpipes as well.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:09 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I don't know where stuff falls under your car, but for my exhaust, I used longer bolts for my rear seat lap belts. Then attached exhaust hangers on those bolts where they are now sticking out, and nutted it on. I call it "the Camaro 69 exhaust hanger mod". Pass it on! lol
You sir, are going to be famous.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Overdrive Member

I'm going to make some hangers tonight at work that bolt to the stock muffler spots . Then something from the seat belts maybe. The sad thin is they send these nice stainless hangers with rubber isolators and I can't find a place to fit them. I guess that the down side of the exhaust being designed for a first gen.

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)