So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:33 AM
2nd Gear member

What did you get made at work? Looking forward to seeing it all mounted up.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:27 AM
Overdrive Member

I haven't totally desided. I did figure I will use the Camaro 69 mod. Then i made plates to fit the stock hanger mounts. I need to get some 3/8" stainless round stock to cut and bed. Then I will have to bite the bullet and drill holes to hang the tips.

I did make a stailess panel that fits where the stock gauge bezel goes. Mine was broke so I figured while I was cutting stainless for the hangers to cut and bend a bezel. It's a lot heavier than I would like. Probably close to 2 lbs. But brushed aluminum gets scratched so easy. Plus the sheet I used is some of the hardest sheetmetal I have ever worked with. So my .060" sheet is as stiff as 1/4" aluminum sheet. I'll post a pick tomorrow after I contour the sides to fit perfect.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 AM
2nd Gear member

Sounds good i look forward to seeing it,
my daily ritual over here.

Wake up at 6am
Get Picked up at 64am and goto the store
Get to the base at 830am
Check New posts on CF.net
Work
12pm Lunch time
Work
Leave at 7pm
Home by 830pm

Repeat

So yeah, look forward to seeing your updates

Old 07-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Overdrive Member

There aren't any Russia woman to play with?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Im a good boy, very faithful.

But to answer your question, yes there are....Many, Many of them

Old 07-29-2012, 06:54 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

On the outboard side of the rear frame rails there are a couple of brackets to hang the tips from, unless you are coming out someplace else. I can get a pic if you want. I don't have any as of yet.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Overdrive Member

My exhaust dumps befor it gets to the bracket I think. The tip comes out in the middle of the 1/4 like most do but thats where it ends.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Overdrive Member

Well after 6mo in my driveway I finally fired up my Jeep rebuild today. I have been working on it when I felt like it because it started to become a pain. The trans bolts to the block were standard thread but 15mm head, but the lower brace that bolts from the engine side toward the trans were metric w/ a 15mm thread. It got confusing especially after so much time. Add that to me wondering how the heck I got most of these bolts out because getting them back in was a SLOW process. I would literally spend three hours under it to get 4 bolts in. It was getting depressing.

So today I just went for it. I stuck my head in the window full expecting the battery to be dead after that long sitting. I hit the key just wanting to bump it a bunch of times to prime the motor. I fired on accident the third bump. I quickly shut it off and added water, I had water in it but it was far from full. I hit the key again this time really making an attempt to start it. It fired right up. I was kind of shocked. I fully expected to chase down things I may have missed like grounds or plugs. Nope! She fired and hit on all 8.

After a good 30 min idle watching gauges I shut it down and threw the driveshaft back in. it took a long minute to get the power steering fluid back up. The cooling fan on this thing is hydraulic and runs off the PS pump. I got that straightened out and went for a quick spin around the block. Other than the suspension sounding like pure hell from sitting for who knows how long (it had a blown head gasket when I got it). Now the issue. After my ride it seems I have found the reason for the heads being warped .030". The rad. was hissing and spraying and fine mist. I'm pretty sure I didn't hurt anything the low coolant light light was on during my ride but the temp was less than 125*. I hope the gauge is correct. There was a ton of heat coming off the motor.

Camaro is getting some undivided attention soon I hope. I wish I had never started this project but now I can see the finish line and that is giving me some motivation.

Z ya later

Damon

Last edited by 77nomad; 08-01-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Now get back on that Camaro!

Old 08-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Overdrive Member

I looked at it today

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)