So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Overdrive Member

So I haven't updated this old thing in a while. I spend more time posting to other threads. Here's the biggest news. The Camaro has new place to sleep. I have been working on getting my new house ready to move in. Kitchen and bath are getting remodeled. But here it is, my new shop.(I know its a garage but we'll call it a shop) IDK the size but its big enough. The back has a false wall so I can store my lawn mower and such but with the big door open the back is hidden. All I need to is get the tables the PO left out and start moving the tools cars and parts I've collected for the last 11 yrs organized.

Name:  030-2.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  64.0 KBName:  026-4.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  78.9 KBName:  028-3.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  60.2 KB

Old 01-17-2011, 05:29 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

That looks like a fine garage. Don't throw those tables out, you will regret it later.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Overdrive Member

Thanks, the tables will go in my basement for sure. I need some stuff before I can call it home though. An air compressor and a welder are on the list of things to pick up with my taxes.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Very cool Damon! Those tables will come in really handy when you get back on the Camaro! Nice to have a folding table nearby to lay parts and tools on while you're working! Way better than a fixed bench that's never in the right location.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

lol, I'm a huge fan of the mobile shop. I've taken to wheeling my entire toolbox over to wherever I'm working.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Overdrive Member

I have a table on wheels so to speak. Its 2x5 on casters. Leftovers from the shelves my shop told me to get ride of. I wound up with on shelf 2'x10' four shelves and another 2'x12' four shelves. Industrial shelves, VERY sturdy. I still have left over pieces and could cobble up at least one more 2'x5'. I post a pic when I get things cleaned up and I'm settled in.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Wooo Hooo. Uncle Sam is paid in full. I got my new welder Friday morning and will be stopping by Tractor Supply tomorrow to see if the big dawg air compressor I want is in stock.

I have a question regarding running 220v to the garage though. Vall knowing your background I'm aiming toward you. I currently have the garage wired on a double throw 40amp (I think) breaker to a sub panel with two 30 amp breakers. My plans are to run another run of wire to another sub panel for the 220v. One industrial twist lock plug for the welder and the compressor will be hard wired. The house was wired with a electric range plug with a 50amp breaker. This has 8-3 wire running almost to where the conduit goes to the garage. So the plan is to add another length of 8-3 all the way to the garage from there. Now, whats the max amperage I can pull on that wire? Can I go higher than 50A? The reason I ask is that if I get into a situation where the compressor and the welder are running at the same time (think plasma cutter), I don't want to pop the breaker way back at the main panel.

Should I just go 6-3 and just get a bigger sub panel and run the whole garage off it, instead of the low voltage on another line? What's a safe amperage for 6 gauge. At over 3 bucks a foot I really don't want the 100' run I'd need.

As for the car. I got the wheels on order. There are a set of LS rear discs in the works and I'm gonna be firing the mean b**ch up soon.

Last edited by 77nomad; 02-13-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Sounds great. Good luck on the wiring, the P.O of my house had wire prestubbed for a welder circuit. He was an iron worker (God's Gift to mankind) so I just finished hooking it up. Not sure what size it is, but the OD on the sheething surrounding the cable was maybe a bit better than 1", each wire about 1/4". No welder here yet though, just a 220 Air Compressor and a lovely window unit Air Conditioner.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Overdrive Member

I'm knockin a hole in the wall for a ac/heater combo. My dad has one that heats part of his house nicely.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
I'm knockin a hole in the wall for a ac/heater combo. My dad has one that heats part of his house nicely.
What kind is that, I may be up for something new, the wall mounted heater really doesn't live up to expectations, although 55 degrees is better than nothing, and having a non window mounted AC unit would be nice, I'd really like to put a huge patio behind my garage, possibly with a screen room, hopefully this year.

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)