So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Overdrive Member

It has 3.73s. Def not a drag car, I don't think I could get it to hook with the stiff rear springs.

Thanks Ben I can work with that.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Where did you cut your trans tunnel? I saw that you got the hump, I don't have that luxury, but I kind of figured if I cut my tunnel around where the auto shifter was bolted down I should have enough room. Thoughts?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Overdrive Member

Its very close to the big round hole for the stock shifter. My hurst shifter has a plate that bolt to the tranny the the shifter bolts to it. I left the plate on and jack the tranny up untill it hit the floor. Then I got insde and looked through the round hole and made my first cut to the left of the hole going front to back. Then trying to make a rectancle cut from there as close to the same size as the shfter body. I brought the shifter through the bottom and got the bottom bolt started. Then it was just triming alittle at a time until I could get the top bolt in from the top side. I could have lft it right there but Having the hump on there it would leave a space where debri can build up and if its moist, will eventually give the dreaded rust a place to start. To get around that I put the hump on and centered the shifter, then took a paint marker and outlined the hump. I took the shifter back out and cut out to about two inches from the line. Then reinstall and hook up the linkage.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I would think the 3.73 gears would be OK for racing. Maybe a bit lower around 4.11 would be better, but the 3.73 would be better all around.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:53 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Joe can you measure from the ground to the point on your front bumper for me? And from the ground to the center of the rear wheel arch.
Yeah I can do that for you tomorrow in the day but not sure how accurate it will be (gravel's not really level). my suspension is all stock and I don't have any aluminum parts so the motor is pretty heavy. But I'll check it out if you want still.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I would think the 3.73 gears would be OK for racing. Maybe a bit lower around 4.11 would be better, but the 3.73 would be better all around.
I wasn't really refering to the gears. Just answered the question on what I have. The problem I see with taking it to the strip is getting good weight transfer. Thed front shocks have a real slow rebound, even on there softest setting. There adjustable but only on rebound. So with a slow rebound in front and the rears being stiff on compression added to stiff springs, I don't see it coming out of the hole real hard. Great for smoke shows but lowsy for a drag set up.

I will take it out don't get me wrong. I was going to the track while I was still in my moms belly, born into it. I plan on dialing in my timing there. I just wanted something different this time. If it goes 12 flat while spinning hard I'll be happy. Future plans are for a Procharged 427 small block and overdrive. It will be fast where ever I drive it then.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Its very close to the big round hole for the stock shifter. My hurst shifter has a plate that bolt to the tranny the the shifter bolts to it. I left the plate on and jack the tranny up untill it hit the floor. Then I got insde and looked through the round hole and made my first cut to the left of the hole going front to back. Then trying to make a rectancle cut from there as close to the same size as the shfter body. I brought the shifter through the bottom and got the bottom bolt started. Then it was just triming alittle at a time until I could get the top bolt in from the top side. I could have lft it right there but Having the hump on there it would leave a space where debri can build up and if its moist, will eventually give the dreaded rust a place to start. To get around that I put the hump on and centered the shifter, then took a paint marker and outlined the hump. I took the shifter back out and cut out to about two inches from the line. Then reinstall and hook up the linkage.
Cool, thanks! Now I have a good starting point, I'm hoping to get my motor and trans in this weekend. Just found out the wife is working all weekend.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Overdrive Member

Its cool man. If you have any questions I usually have my laptop in the living room and switch back and forth from the tv to computer all day. Not much else to do with the littles ones running around here. I never sleep anymore.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:01 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by BenL07
i just went and measured mine for ya...its 21 1/4" from the middle point of the front bumper (above the lower grill below the top grill[that point]) to the ground and 27 3/4" from the top of the rear wheel arch to the ground on mine....hope that helps im not sure if its stock but its probably pretty close
Yeah mine is pretty darn close, the front was 21" and the rear was 28" and my tires are p295/50r15 on the rear and p225/70sr15 on the front.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Overdrive Member

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)