79 Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:00 PM
2nd Gear member

Ok maybe wife and happy doesn't belong in the same sentance...LOL. But you young guys have your hands full. I'm semi retired and I have time to play with cars and such.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:03 PM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by rydeer
Ok maybe wife and happy doesn't belong in the same sentance...LOL. But you young guys have your hands full. I'm semi retired and I have time to play with cars and such.
Must be nice..lol, JK, Im assuming you've had your share of lively experiences and work.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:52 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by orocker
Well I finally finished reading your project. Lots of great work you've done there. Its definitely at labor of love for us all who spend years working on restoring these old cars.
Thanks alot. It is a labor of love, it requires too much money though. I was hoping it would not take as long as it has, but it was missing alot and getting parts has been trying. I haven't bought too many unnecessary items though at least. Next week should be lay off time. And the missus says she wants me to get the car done. Time for a serious burst of production again.

I'm going to be pulling all the interior back out again to weld up the firewall, got a couple rust issues to contend with, still need to finish that engine, put a shift kit in the th350... Daunting. Lol

Old 11-30-2011, 06:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

looking good atm,hopefully u will get some time to finish her shes so close,nice ride u got there enjoyed reading ur thread.keep up the good work soon she will be finished.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:51 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by ATM
Thanks alot. It is a labor of love, it requires too much money though. I was hoping it would not take as long as it has, but it was missing alot and getting parts has been trying. I haven't bought too many unnecessary items though at least. Next week should be lay off time. And the missus says she wants me to get the car done. Time for a serious burst of production again.

I'm going to be pulling all the interior back out again to weld up the firewall, got a couple rust issues to contend with, still need to finish that engine, put a shift kit in the th350... Daunting. Lol
I know what you mean. I'm going on 4 yrs now and after sitting in the care this past weekend the misc list of parts is getting over whelming. I had no interior in mine and lost some other mechanical parts during restoration. Plus we made changes so that means other things change as well. And its funny how much the little things cost.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

At some point you just say, "To heck with it" and make whatever you don't have. That way it's not your typical Camaro build, and will be personalized too!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Overdrive Member

I agree with Vall. Mine has been slow as of late mostly due to financial reasons. But TAX time is just around the corner and for those who haven't paid attention to my thread that means PARTS. I hope everything goes well for you Steve. The economy here is tuck a a snails pace. It got so bad for my bro that after six months home from the military he bailed and went back to Montana.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Im reading through your Nomad. Been getting inspired by allot of projects. I just wish I had time to hit up some swap meets and find old parts for cheap that I can revamp like my stupid headlight bezel.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:44 AM
I Like to Party

Im reading through your Nomad. Been getting inspired by allot of projects. I just wish I had time to hit up some swap meets and find old parts for cheap that I can revamp like my stupid headlight bezel.
Whats wrong with your headlight bezel?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I didn't need any body parts when I did my Camaro, so it was easier to rebuild. But my Austin required a lot of parts, and not much beyond engine parts was purchased new. Virtually everything that has gone into it came from swap meets, Craigslist, or even garage sales. The result is that to this point I've got around $6500 in the car including the $1900 I paid for the car when I purchaed it originally.
Buying good used parts is a great way to stretch your buying bucks, and I think Steve has done this with his '79 project, and saved a lot of money so far.

Quick Reply: 79 Camaro Project