79 Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Overdrive Member

agreed

Old 11-26-2011, 07:13 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I've got Vortec Heads, and with the cam I'm using, I'll be pushing the limit for what heads are good for when the pockets are cut down. So technically, the valve could hit the piston. And, I've got my heads on permanently. Which is getting to be a non issue, I'll just have to maybe get some new head gaskets and try that method.

I do have a "heads on" piston stop though. I could use that to find TDC and spin it backwards and get an exact. Then put the adjustable pushrod in and see where it wants to be, run it through a cycle and see how the marker mark on top of the valve stem looks. At that point I could order the push rods and put the engine in the car.

I also need to put a shift kit in my trans too first, I'd like it to go in all at once. I could use a ministarter and a small flywheel yet too.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by ATM
I've got Vortec Heads, and with the cam I'm using, I'll be pushing the limit for what heads are good for when the pockets are cut down. So technically, the valve could hit the piston. And, I've got my heads on permanently. Which is getting to be a non issue, I'll just have to maybe get some new head gaskets and try that method.

I do have a "heads on" piston stop though. I could use that to find TDC and spin it backwards and get an exact. Then put the adjustable pushrod in and see where it wants to be, run it through a cycle and see how the marker mark on top of the valve stem looks. At that point I could order the push rods and put the engine in the car.

I also need to put a shift kit in my trans too first, I'd like it to go in all at once. I could use a ministarter and a small flywheel yet too.
Sounds like you've got more issues than pushrod length. A shorter pushrod wont solve piston/valve clearance issues. You're going to be stuck with a pushrod length that keeps the tip in the middle of the rocker, and if valve clearance on the heads or the piston is an issue you'll probably have to go with 1.5 rockers or different heads. As you know Vortecs have limited valve spring height, and with 1.6 and a high lift cam you may have binding issues. Or have the spring pockets cut on the Vortec heads.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:06 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Right. That is what I need to find out.
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Sounds like you've got more issues than pushrod length. A shorter pushrod wont solve piston/valve clearance issues. You're going to be stuck with a pushrod length that keeps the tip in the middle of the rocker, and if valve clearance on the heads or the piston is an issue you'll probably have to go with 1.5 rockers or different heads. As you know Vortecs have limited valve spring height, and with 1.6 and a high lift cam you may have binding issues. Or have the spring pockets cut on the Vortec heads.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Overdrive Member

Its time to get out the clay. Pop a head off. Put clay in the valve reliefs. put the head back on with no gasket. Adjust you push rod checker to get the right length. spin it over and then pull the head off. Cut through the center of the clay across the piston top. The cross section will show you you clearance. Then you'll have the addition of the head gasket thickness as a cushion.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:08 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Its time to get out the clay. Pop a head off. Put clay in the valve reliefs. put the head back on with no gasket. Adjust you push rod checker to get the right length. spin it over and then pull the head off. Cut through the center of the clay across the piston top. The cross section will show you you clearance. Then you'll have the addition of the head gasket thickness as a cushion.
That is what I should have done before spending $60 on head gaskets. But I really should just bite the bullet and do it again. I think that I can buy those one at a time, so really I could just do one side. I've got ARP bolts, so I believe that I can reuse them up to 3 times.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Get some Felpro .039" from Summit for $12.25 ea. Not sure on your thickness, but you'd need to match them, so for $25 you can get a pair.
Fel-Pro Q7733PT2 - Fel-Pro Head Gaskets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Old 11-26-2011, 05:49 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

For Vortec Heads you want to keep the quench at like no more than .040, my pistons sit about .022 down, so I went with gaskets that were .016 which puts me at about .038. If I go with those I'll be way over, which leads to detonation issues. My gaskets are all metal.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by ATM
For Vortec Heads you want to keep the quench at like no more than .040, my pistons sit about .022 down, so I went with gaskets that were .016 which puts me at about .038. If I go with those I'll be way over, which leads to detonation issues. My gaskets are all metal.
Not familiar with Vortec heads enough, but not sure how adding combustion volume would cause detonation? It usually is caused from reducing volume which ups the compression. Strange phenomenon to increase volume and get detonation.
Guess I need to read up some on Vortecs.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:46 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I could have it wrong but I know you don't want to go over .040 quench for one reason or another. There is a lengthy sticky over on nasty about them by Dirt Reynolds. Plenty of facts about them.
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Not familiar with Vortec heads enough, but not sure how adding combustion volume would cause detonation? It usually is caused from reducing volume which ups the compression. Strange phenomenon to increase volume and get detonation.
Guess I need to read up some on Vortecs.

Quick Reply: 79 Camaro Project