79 Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:32 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

At one time I had an 8000 watt Miller arc welder. I sold it for $500, should have kept it. I am looking forward to learning welding actually now. It will be a good bargaining chip when I need it. Actually need to get back on the horn and get working on the project car again. Finished staining the deck today. Not really much more to do outside before winter. Nothing like staining a deck in November.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well I'd feel sory for you staining the deck, but that means your weather is better than mine! I tried to go work on the Camaro, but need it outside to open the doors wide enough to do weatherstripping. Rains came back, so no go.
I did address a miss in the engine that started when it came back from paint. Too much idling in the shop had fouled the plugs. Put in a new set, and it's great again. Need to get this thing together so I can take it on the freeway and clean her out.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:45 AM
2nd Gear member

Like 1971BB427 mentioned you can get an inexpensive wire feed flux core welder for a very good price and they plug in to a standard outlet.I've seen them at walmart and lowes,but if there is a harbor frieght store in your area,they have them on sale all the time for around $90 and they work good,i had one for a few years then got stupid and sold it,now i have to go and buy another one since i got a different car.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yep, that's where I got mine at; Harbor Freight. About $100 now on sale, and wire at around $20 a roll on sale.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

well if that is all I need, and anything else is overkill, then I will probably just do that. I have no intention of making trailers or rollcages (yet).

Old 12-11-2009, 08:15 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Thinking about Christmas Presents; I am asking for a full length floorpan for sure for my rust issues on the passenger side. I was also kicking around some mini tubs so I can fit a bigger tire under there. Seems like I have seen them without the spring relocation kits. Is it possible to just put the tubs in without the extra $800 worth of stuff?

Old 12-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by ATM
Thinking about Christmas Presents; I am asking for a full length floorpan for sure for my rust issues on the passenger side. I was also kicking around some mini tubs so I can fit a bigger tire under there. Seems like I have seen them without the spring relocation kits. Is it possible to just put the tubs in without the extra $800 worth of stuff?
Yes you can install mini tubs without relocating springs, but you wont get more room without relocating springs. The clearance issue is partly the staggered shocks, and the springs. You can gain some with an inboard shock relocation, but to really get big tires inside the fenders you'll need to relocate the springs a bit.
They do make a spring relocate kit that allows you to use the stock spring perch mounting points to bolt the new perches into, then you just move them in and relocate the spring mounts on your axle to fit the narrower location.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:00 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Yes you can install mini tubs without relocating springs, but you wont get more room without relocating springs. The clearance issue is partly the staggered shocks, and the springs. You can gain some with an inboard shock relocation, but to really get big tires inside the fenders you'll need to relocate the springs a bit.
They do make a spring relocate kit that allows you to use the stock spring perch mounting points to bolt the new perches into, then you just move them in and relocate the spring mounts on your axle to fit the narrower location.
Is http://www.ecklerscamaro.com/product...87&dept_id=243 this what you are talking about? I can't imagine doing this without just getting a 4 link http://www.ecklerscamaro.com/product...6&dept_id=1810 and building a new rear end.

I keep getting ahead, really what I should do is get the car going and worry about this stuff later.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes that's the kit I was talking about. I wouldn't do it either, unless I really wanted to spend the money, and needed the room for big tires. That's why I chose to flare mine way back in the 70's instead of doing tubs.
The 4 link might give you a bit more room than stock, but not a lot more. I'd be sure to ask about clearance before going to a 4 link. They work nice though in the handling department!

Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Glad I did not order the floorpan I was going to order. After looking it over and thinking on it, I called and asked, and it stops just in the rear footwell area. I REALLY need under the rear passenger side seat. It looks like swiss cheese. There are a couple of holes up front and I figured I would get one pan and just cut patches out of it. But reallistically the front could just get repaired with sheet metal.

So, does anyone know of someplace I can get the rear seat sheet metal. Everywhere is looking like a dead end.

Quick Reply: 79 Camaro Project