79 Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:02 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Currently in the process of removing the gunk around the windows and the weatherstripping around the trunk. Alot of work with a wire wheel on a pneumatic pencil grinder. It has just occurred to me that there may be a chemical alternative to the removal of this stuff. I have seen airplane remover I think in the body work section at the local wally world. Plus there is Acetone, or Muratic Acid. What is good for getting this stuff off without beating myself to pieces?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I used the same method you're using; just a small wire wheel, and a small sanding wheel with those multiple disc versions. Tried a little heat but it made a sticky smokey mess. Now that I'm done I'm sure someone will tell us a really easy method!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:21 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Looking to get ordering the new floor-pans. I definitely need a new back passenger rear pan, and there are a couple of holes up close in the passenger front.

http://www.ecklerscamaro.com/product...7&dept_id=2206

Does this pan go all the way from the rear to the front? I could get it and cut out what I need...

http://www.ecklerscamaro.com/product...9&dept_id=2206

Or I could get this pan and just piece the front in, it really is not that bad.

Will I need to get new seat mount hardware? Does it come on there? I doubt it somehow... or would I need to move it over, being careful of its location.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The first full length pan will cover everything up to the point where it changes angles to start up towards the firewall. The second is just the back of course. I would personally get as much as needed, but if I could fill anything with solid sheetmetal patches I'd save money and do it.
I don't know about all of them, but most front , or full floor panels have the inserts for attaching seats, seat belts, etc. built into them.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:28 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
The first full length pan will cover everything up to the point where it changes angles to start up towards the firewall. The second is just the back of course. I would personally get as much as needed, but if I could fill anything with solid sheetmetal patches I'd save money and do it.
I don't know about all of them, but most front , or full floor panels have the inserts for attaching seats, seat belts, etc. built into them.
Does the first piece cover the back also though? If so, I will just get that one and cut it to what I need.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes, the first one covers front to back.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:27 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

That is what I will get then. Looks like a good place for me to learn how to weld.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you have a wirefeed welder ATM? Once you get the floor sections cut out and cleaned up, then use the scrap pieces you removed to practice welding. That's what I did on mine when I replaced the hole from the sunroof. If you can get those old pieces to weld, you can easily do the new metal to old.
I had purchased a pretty much whole roof from a Firebird, and once I cut out the donor section I went out and bought a wirefeed welder. I've done welding before, but it was stick welding, or gas. The only wirefeed welding I'd done was to build my utility trailer using my nephew's wirefeed; but that was pretty heavy steel.
I practiced butt welding pieces of roof together. Then tried to read all the "how to" posts I could find at various car forums. Finally called a friend over who works in a body shop, and asked him how he sees the pros do it.
Once I felt comfortable enough, I set up and began welding in my donor panel. Took me half the day one weekend, but it came out good and looked strong. Time will tell, but the guys at my body shop said it looked as good as they could do, so that made me feel good about it.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:20 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Nope, I don't have a wirefeed. But, my father in law is a body man, and he does. I am hoping he will just teach me to weld, I think it is a good skill to have. I have tried sticking metal together, but having a brother who does it for a living, I never really took it seriously, I could always just have him do whatever I needed.

Cutting up the old panels for practice sounds like a good idea though.

I would not mind buying a welder, but I was told I should get a minimum 250watt (I think) and they are like $$$. It is another thing I am watching craigslist for daily.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

They probably meant "250 amp" not watt. That's a great idea if you want to do more than wire feed welding, as stick on heavy plate can require that, but only if it's up arond 1/2" plate.
If you're just running a wirefeed you surely don't need anything close to 250 amps, as wirefeed wont work well on material over 1/4" plate. You can do 3/8" if you make multiple passes, but even that's rare on a car or trailer.
I've got a cheap import wirefeed that runs off 115 volt, and uses flux core wire. My nephew's uses argon to flux it, and solid core wire, but runs off 220 volt. It's a pretty expensive Miller, but well worth it if a guy does lots of fabrication.
Mine does a good job on sheetmetal, and I also used it to weld up my ladder bars, and rollbar and it did that very nicely too. Once I'm done rebuilding the Camaro I'll play with it even more. Got to build a front rack for my quad, so I can haul more weight forward instead of everything on the rear rack.
You've got a great resource in your father in law and brother. I'm sure they can teach you everything you need to know in no time at all! It's actually a lot of fun once you get started.

Quick Reply: 79 Camaro Project