79 Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You're really haulin on that car now! Making progress fast!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
You're really haulin on that car now! Making progress fast!
I'm looking to get the thing as far along as I can, that way it doesn't seem as far gone as it is. If that makes sense... If it is almost done, then it will be easier to work on it, and see what I need to do.

Tomorrow, I'm getting help putting the doors on so I can get the door panels on and see what I need to do to get them looking nice. The definitely need to be rebuilt with some new backing.

I also finished up the night cleaning up my cylinder heads sort of. I took about 99% of the paint off of them, and cleaned up the water jackets a bit and wire wheeled the chambers and stuff. They really probably need to just go to a machine shop. I have something else lined up engine wise though, details to come. But I'll need to save for a month or so for it.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Overdrive Member

The SEM really looks like new panels. I guess you won't need the Y pieces. Do I know what motor your getting?

Old 02-12-2011, 06:33 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
The SEM really looks like new panels. I guess you won't need the Y pieces. Do I know what motor your getting?
If you do about 5 or 6 light coats with the SEM then it turns out really nice. I'm a huge fan of it. And yep, I found the Y pieces. I really could not believe that I would let something like that slip by me. One thing I do need are the coat hanger pieces I see, my sail panels don't have those on there, and I know I've never noticed them. It isn't a show stopper though so I'm not too worried about it.

Today I'd like to get the doors on the car, and finish wiping down the engine bay and the undercarriage with my 3 year old. The wife works so I'll probably just spend time being a daddy. I need to run out and get my 9 year old from a sleep over, and work on keeping my 14 year old at home today. She has been running around all week...

Oh and as for engine, I found one, it has been magged and has an aftermarket bottom end in it, I thought .030 over but maybe not. Plus a set of vortecs. I'll need a different intake, and come to think of it, not sure if the headers will bolt up. Still the same carb and stuff. I'd like to work on trying to find a billet timing chain cover and center bolt valve covers now.

Last edited by ATM; 02-12-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Headers should not be a problem with Vortec heads.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Headers should not be a problem with Vortec heads.
OK, that is good to know. I'll blast mine off and paint them up and go with these then. No need to spend money if I don't have to.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:23 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Not really too much today. But my FIL came over and we got the doors on the car. They are not really lined up, which is what I wanted, I just was looking to get them on so I could look at them, maybe clean them up, check on the internals, and put my door panels on and see what they are going to take to get them looking like new. My camera was running low on batteries so I only managed to get two pics successfully out of about 6... Figures. I'll get more as I am working on them.

Name:  101_6474.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  101_6476.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  65.7 KB

Old 02-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Overdrive Member

crusin now.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:48 AM
s4l

I just read your entire thread over the last hour or two.. I'm loving what you're doing. I'm getting myself an '80 Z28 that needs some love so I'll be posting that over time.

Keep up the good work! I'm super excited to see the final product.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:19 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by s4l
I just read your entire thread over the last hour or two.. I'm loving what you're doing. I'm getting myself an '80 Z28 that needs some love so I'll be posting that over time.

Keep up the good work! I'm super excited to see the final product.

Thanks for the compliments, and Welcome to the site. Glad to hear you are going to be joining the ranks, very helpful in our search for missing pieces. You will have to post up a topic on your project when you get it. Do you have someplace to work on it? Is it a running car, and are you driving it while you restore it? Have you really looked it over, is it solid? These cars are notorious for rust issues.

As for my thread, I'll tell you what, I will never sandblast a car like that again. You can learn so much from reading through some project threads. On NastyZ28, olestyle's thread is unbelievable, he pretty much replaced all sheet metal on his car!

Quick Reply: 79 Camaro Project