79 Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:07 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
If you need lifters, then you need a cam. Never install either without the other. New cam with used lifters, or used cam with new lifters; either will immediately wear the other to match, so both have to be replaced as a kit.
That is what I have read, but I have heard of people doing it and it working out. Probably not worth the risk, the cam isn't really the expensive part, unless you go roller, and with that, everything should be expensive.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I've heard people say they replaced their lifters and it worked too. I've never yet heard them say it was thousands of miles ago that they did it. Only time will tell.
I have dropped in 1-2 lifters on an old engine just to get it back running good when one or two collapsed.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:55 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

That is what I am afraid of, the thousands of miles thing, I've never heard that either. What I can do, is call comp cams, they can re harden it or whatever for cheap I guess too, from what I have read.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

It's not the temper, it's the wear. And I doubt they can reharden one for what Summit sells the whole darn kit, lifters and cam. Just figure out what specs you want and then match it with the Summit kit. It's cheap peace of mind at only $101.
This one would be a good mild cam:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1102/

This one would be a better street/strip cam:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1105/

This one would be my favorite:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1104/

Old 04-15-2010, 10:13 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

It's not the temper, it's the wear. And I doubt they can reharden one for what Summit sells the whole darn kit, lifters and cam. Just figure out what specs you want and then match it with the Summit kit. It's cheap peace of mind at only $101.
This one would be a good mild cam:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1102/

This one would be a better street/strip cam:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1105/

This one would be my favorite:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1104/
The cam I currently have is a xe268h, probably a mild cam. I'd probably like one of the other two. I need to read up on cams again to see what the benefit of a longer duration exhaust opening is in the middle selection as compared to the last one. I've read a few books on building engines, and the cam deal just hasn't really sunk in yet. It is something that I am going to figure out, it may need to be coupled with a few builds in order to do it though. In my motor build I am planning on doing it by the book. I figure that if I can know why I am measuring everything and degreeing in the cam etc, it will go a long way towards making me a good engine builder.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:15 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Went out tonight and spent some time finishing up the rear end swap. I would have been happy to have just bolted the rear into my father in laws car and been done with it. But I went ahead and started on the one in mine too while I was at it. I needed to drill out the holes in the spring perches and the plates because the U-Bolts that I found were 1/2" diameter instead of 7/16". Lucky enough I had a drill bit. It literally only had to be drilled probably less than a 1/16" larger. But I ultimately ended up getting them both in, and brakes connected. They will both still need to be bled though, my car lost a lot of fluid. I don't care though because I hosed the fitting and the line is old, so I'll just end up putting a new one in soon, and at that rate, it would be a good time to just keep going on the brakes and do the front lines, calipers, rotors, and pads.

Name:  101_6025.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  101_6026.jpg
Size:  50.7 KB

I had to chisel off the brake line hold down tab on each side to get the other U-Bolt in, and this is my solution to securing the line. I could probably use another something closer to the diff housing, I am pretty sure they make a sort of hose clamp that you can put a screw in...

Name:  101_6027.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  101_6028.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  66.8 KB

It would appear that the new rear end comes with new brakes. And, the axles look suspiciously new too.

Name:  101_6029.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  101_6030.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  77.1 KB

All in all, I am very happy with what I got done today. This weekend we are going hiking, and sometime I have to sandblast a wrought iron bench for a $150, which should do my brake project and complete all that stuff. My father in law got the spot welds drilled out of the panel that goes under the rear seat, so hopefully the welding will get underway. It will be nice to finish the POR15 on the inside, start the sound deadening and begin to look into the wiring harnesses. I have a buddy who owns a stereo shop who will prewire for me so it is done right. Yesterday, my father in law brought over a silver fender from a lexus to show me the color, both me and the wife are thinking a bit darker though. But it was close. I'll get a pic tomorrow in the sun.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The brake lines and supports look great! As long as you've got the lines open, you should really replace the flexible line from the frame to the rear axle. It's probably 30 yrs. old, and will start cracking.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:30 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

The brake lines and supports look great! As long as you've got the lines open, you should really replace the flexible line from the frame to the rear axle. It's probably 30 yrs. old, and will start cracking.
Thanks for the compliment, it isn't exactly what I was envisioning, I'd like it to be neater, but I can fix that later someday. I was going to look into replacing that line, I noticed that it is still the old one. It actually came off of the other car, which had all new brakes on it, apparently except for those. I am considering the stainless flexible lines for all of those. I need to look all of that stuff up and see if it is available locally here. I would rather hold off on buying anything from a catalog until I need to, no credit cards. Cash is king.

The thing about that other car, it was complete, and cheap, it has new brakes, and everything for mine that I needed. I was going to buy it for my car, and part the rest out, but my father in law saw it and could not resist. I'll have to keep my eyes open for another one, that or just keep finding things on the cheap.

Last edited by ATM; 04-16-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:30 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Picked up some carpet for the car today, new in the box, and a headers back exhaust system, also new in the box, without mufflers, I just need to see if it is for offset or straight through or what though.

I also came home for lunch today and sandblasted my brake drums and driveshaft and painted them up, then had to shower to return to work. At least I can get the car back on the ground now, Although, I may just leave it in the air and blast my wheels next and get them all primed and painted the same colors, two of them are blue...

Old 04-20-2010, 09:35 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I have a total of 6 hours today spent sandblasting alot of misc pieces, and my rims. Alot of issues with the sandblaster failing to work properly, a couple of blowouts, a valve actually wore through the side, the sandblasting hose is seriously thin on the walls, these things are definately not made to last forever, although, I don't see how they could puking sand at high pressure indefinately.

Here is alot of the smaller parts I wanted to blast, I am sure that a ton more will turn up as I go, I plan on finding or making a sandblasting cabinet towards the end so I hope that I can just get through this.

Name:  101_6074.jpg
Size:  75.6 KB

No idea what this is:

Name:  101_6075.jpg
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  101_6076.jpg
Size:  29.4 KB

Nor what these are...

Name:  101_6077.jpg
Size:  94.1 KB

Here is a rim primed with flat black, I'll paint them later on once everything is closer to done. I also am putting the trim rings and the center caps away. I'll need to find some new center caps one day, a couple are broken, and they are all different kinds. .

Just for kicks, here is a tire in the beginning stages of sandblasting.

As of right now, I have 1/2 of the inside of one fender, and an inner fender well and the big stuff is done. I also have a double cast iron glider bench coming to blast, that will fund my brake project I hope, new calipers, rotors, stainless lines, brake pads, and a 20' roll of brake line and fittings, I will make my own.

Last edited by ATM; 04-20-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 79 Camaro Project