how much HP do these usually add?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2Slow4You
nitrous is quickest way to get horse power and cheapest by far.system cost about 500 dollars new.Kit comes with everything you need to run up to 200hp,but i would not run more than a 100 shot,Have been shooting 150 shot in my stock 302 mustang for 2 yrs and engine still runs like new.System comes with plate that mounts under carb. with nitrous line hooked in back of plate and fuel coming in the front.Very easy installation.If it was me you could buy system and hook it up to engine you have in car now just to see how you like it push the button and hang on.Ford has forged pistons where chevrolet does not,So you can get away with a little more juice,but at a 100 shot you real deffinately feel a big differance.This is my opinion maybe wrong,Just know by what I have seen this is the way i would go.
yeah they are the cheapest..when a supercharger costs like $3000-4000 for around a 100HP gain and nitrous is only around 500 for the same HP gain..granted you can only use it once unlike a supercharger but if you dont race alot then its worth getting..the 383 that im going to get. i can add forged pistions for an extra $140..if i ran nitrous, i would make sure to have forged pistions just incase..but can't nitrous still hurt engines? ive heard of several cars that had there engines ruined from it..

and are the forged pistions a good idea to get for an extra $140 even if i dont get nitrous?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I personally would steer clear of nitrous, even with forged pistons. Something a simple as a bad solenoid valve on the gas injection plate will cause a too lean mixture and melt a hole in your pistons! These are electrical devices and a simple failure is not out of the realm of possiblitiy.
Yes, superchargers are more expensive, but if it stops compressing, it just doesn't build horsepower. It also is a one time expense, where nitrous is a refill everytime your bottle runs out, and once you get addicted to that boost of power you'll go through lots of it, until you melt down your engine.
I personally wouldn't use either for a car that was driven much. Nice for a weekend or cruisein car, but not for a car that sees lots of use. Best to go with cubic inches, that build power normally without extreme demands on the engine.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah i dont think im going to risk my engine with nitrious..but when i buy another car to drive for my DD i might get a supercharger

should i spend the extra for the forged pistions anyway or spend it somewhere else like tires?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Hypereutectic pistons will do a good job, but if it's only $140 difference for forged I'd sure go that route. They'll hold up much better if you do much rodding, or racing.
If you plan to supercharge you'll need to decide that before installing pistons, or rebuilding. A engine with a supercharger needs to have the correct compression ratio, so normally something around 8:1 ratio is needed. If you don't supercharge then that's a really low ratio for normal aspiration, and it would be better to select something around 9:1 compression.
Too much compression to start and the supercharger will build enough to pop your pistons, or hurt the crank. Either build it for the use, or don't.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Hypereutectic pistons will do a good job, but if it's only $140 difference for forged I'd sure go that route. They'll hold up much better if you do much rodding, or racing.
If you plan to supercharge you'll need to decide that before installing pistons, or rebuilding. A engine with a supercharger needs to have the correct compression ratio, so normally something around 8:1 ratio is needed. If you don't supercharge then that's a really low ratio for normal aspiration, and it would be better to select something around 9:1 compression.
Too much compression to start and the supercharger will build enough to pop your pistons, or hurt the crank. Either build it for the use, or don't.
well the engine im looking at has 10.3:1 compression? so maybe i wont be able to run a supercharger on that but i can also go dual quad carbs like camero69

Old 07-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Default nitrous

I know a lot of people are scared to run nitrous but they have come along way from when they first starting using these nitrous systems.They make parts like rev limit controls and so forth that protects your engine.10yrs ago I thought i would never use it,but I've seen people use 300 shots on stock engines and never hurt them.I would never go that high but if you are only going to race it every now and then its still cheapest way to go.It cost about 40 dollars to fill 10lb bottle here.If you get a chance ride with someone who has a system do it you will be surprised.My sons mustang with 150 shot in eighth mile went from 9.69et to a 8.32et with the 150 shot,and like i said that it is a stock motor with 243 gears.It now has 4.10 gears in it now have not had a chance to run it with these gears.Like I said everybody has a preference blowers and turbo charged cars are bad *** cars too.But there with is nothing like pulling up to someone in a stock looking car and pushing the button and leaving them sitting ther trying to figure out what went wrong.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Default my car

xcar in avatar is my ride

Old 07-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I would strongly disagree with running nitrous if your engine has over 10:1 compression! Even a low performance system will boost the compression so high your engine will self destruct!

Old 07-24-2009, 09:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah 1971BB427 is right though..the engine has like 10.3 or 10.4:1 compression so i cant run a supercharger and i dont think im gonna risk nitrous with that high of compression.. so i guess i couldn't add any bolt ons like those for extra power so that means i would just have to lighten my car lol bring on the carbon fiber lol

Old 07-24-2009, 11:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by jason7504
so i dont need a special intake for the plumbing of the NOS?
if your concerned bout intake the best intake if possible would be the edenlbrock victor air gap...not sure where it is..but its where it doesnt have the divider for the 4 barrel and the more straight the pipes on it the better and more straight up air flow you get..that is going to be your best intake possible