how much HP do these usually add?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:10 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default how much HP do these usually add?

i was just wondering if you could tell me how much HP gain i can expect from these add ons?

Demon 650 carb
Hooker comp headers with 1 5/8 and 3" collector
MSD ignition dist( i know not much but is there any increase)
true dual flowmaster exhaust

Last edited by jason7504; 07-19-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Hard to say since you didn't post what engine it has or what it has inside it.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Y2K
Hard to say since you didn't post what engine it has or what it has inside it.
its a 383 with 450 hp and tq and here are the specs:

# Seasoned GM 4-bolt Main Short Block
# 1-piece Rear Main Seal
# Patriot Performance Freedom Series Straight Plug 190cc Heads
# 2.02" Intake/1.60" Exhaust Stainless Valves
# Scat Crank and I-Beam Connecting Rods
# Clevite Bearings
# Hypereutectic Flat Top Pistons
# 10.4:1 Compression Ratio
# Fel-Pro Head Gaskets
# New Head Bolts and Hardened Washers
# MSD Street Fire HEI Distributor with 50,000 Volt Coil
# Aluminum High Volume Water Pump
# Edelbrock Air-Gap Intake (port matched to heads)
# Double Roller Timing Chain
# Polished Aluminum Valve Covers w/breathers
# Steel Roller Tip Rockers
# Hardened Pushrods
# Howards Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
# Cam Specs: 230/230 .480"/.480" 110LSA
# Mellings Oil Pump

i was wondering if i could get to 480-500HP with the exhaust, ignition and induction upgrades that i posted

Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Do you already have headers? if not that will make a big difference but just changing to different headers isn't going to make huge gains.
The Demon carb may be a bit more responsive but I can't see a big power gain over the Edlebrock.
You might look at a little bigger carb like a 750,looks like you have enough motor to handle it and then you'll see some gains if it's set up right.
You have an MSD dizzy listed in your specs already so what is the change there?
Whatever it is I don't see any gain unless you are replacing a stock unit and then only modest gains mostly attained through higher rpms available and a little better advance curve.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

well i haven't gotten the 383 yet but im going too..it dyno'd at 450 HP but would it gain any more HP when i add the headers, demon carb and exhaust to the 383 over the dyno'd HP?

Old 07-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Well I'm going to assume it had headers on it when it was on the Dyno so I'm not seeing a real gain over what is spec'd out there.
Certainly not the 30-50 hp you're looking for.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Y2K
Well I'm going to assume it had headers on it when it was on the Dyno so I'm not seeing a real gain over what is spec'd out there.
Certainly not the 30-50 hp you're looking for.
are there any bolt on's that could give me the 30-50hp gain?

Old 07-20-2009, 07:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

other than a turbo, or supercharger there is nothing that can be added to a motor to give you HP.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jason7504
are there any bolt on's that could give me the 30-50hp gain?
Well that depends on what kind of car you want it to be,as in how streetable VS mostly a hotrod.

Originally Posted by djs383
other than a turbo, or supercharger there is nothing that can be added to a motor to give you HP.
I wouldn't say that but as I said above it depends.

You might need to go with a more aggressive racing cam and a different intake and bigger carb or more than one carb but you start pushing boundries if you want it to be a daily driver rather than a hot rod toy.
Look at Camaro69's car with the dual carb tunnelram set up,something like that with the right cam can probably get you there or close but it's not going to be a good daily driver and it'll eat a lot of gas.
All the power will be top end high rpm making street driveability a problem at least in the context of a good daily driver.
Why are you looking for that much power would be my question?
450hp in a street driven car is quite a bit,if you haven't driven a car with that much power before you might want to just give it a whirl lol.
Looking for really big hp in a reliable street friendly package is expensive,you're looking at turbo or supercharging or a big monster big block.
One other option for a quick burst of extra power is a NOS kit,that will be your best bang for the buck getting the numbers you are seeking IMHO and when not in use your car would still be streetable.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Y2K
Well that depends on what kind of car you want it to be,as in how streetable VS mostly a hotrod.

I wouldn't say that but as I said above it depends.

You might need to go with a more aggressive racing cam and a different intake and bigger carb or more than one carb but you start pushing boundries if you want it to be a daily driver rather than a hot rod toy.
Look at Camaro69's car with the dual carb tunnelram set up,something like that with the right cam can probably get you there or close but it's not going to be a good daily driver and it'll eat a lot of gas.
All the power will be top end high rpm making street driveability a problem at least in the context of a good daily driver.
Why are you looking for that much power would be my question?
450hp in a street driven car is quite a bit,if you haven't driven a car with that much power before you might want to just give it a whirl lol.
Looking for really big hp in a reliable street friendly package is expensive,you're looking at turbo or supercharging or a big monster big block.
One other option for a quick burst of extra power is a NOS kit,that will be your best bang for the buck getting the numbers you are seeking IMHO and when not in use your car would still be streetable.
yeah i still want it to be a daily driver atleast for now but i think it would be cool to say i have 500HP haha but yeah your right 450hp is still a good amount..and camaro69's car rocks! lol when i get another car i might really turn mine into a hot rod toy..

yeah i was thinking about getting a supercharger but there like 3000 for a 100-150hp gain..so i was also thinking about NOS..like a 100-125 shot..what would i have to do besides getting a different intake manifold so i dont blow my engine?