how much HP do these usually add?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Wow, I hope you live within walking distance of your job, cause your gas bill is gonna be enormous. But if you can afford it, more power to ya my friend.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion
Wow, I hope you live within walking distance of your job, cause your gas bill is gonna be enormous. But if you can afford it, more power to ya my friend.
it shouldn't be that big..with just NO? and im not gonna use it all the time

Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I've owned my 1971 427 Camaro for 36 years. It's been dyno'd at around 450 HP, and believe me you don't really need more than that unless you're drag racing a lot! With the bB, my 450 HP is pretty streetable on dry days, but completely unmanageable if I get caught out in wet weather unexpectedly.
I've got an automatic behind it, and it's still nearly impossible to get going, and no way to not spin the tires on wet pavement. Sounds like fun, but it's a pain to try to get up to even 35mph when traction is zero.
I would disagree that you can't bolt anything on your engine and get HP! I was running a Edelbrock carb, and it always ran out of gas on hard acceleration. The engine just nosed over around 4,000 rpm's, and if I let up on the throttle it caught and took off. I removed the Edelbrock and changed to a 780 Holley and performance went through the roof, with no gas flow problems! It easily added HP throughout the full rpm range, but especially on the mid to high end!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I've owned my 1971 427 Camaro for 36 years. It's been dyno'd at around 450 HP, and believe me you don't really need more than that unless you're drag racing a lot! With the bB, my 450 HP is pretty streetable on dry days, but completely unmanageable if I get caught out in wet weather unexpectedly.
I've got an automatic behind it, and it's still nearly impossible to get going, and no way to not spin the tires on wet pavement. Sounds like fun, but it's a pain to try to get up to even 35mph when traction is zero.
I would disagree that you can't bolt anything on your engine and get HP! I was running a Edelbrock carb, and it always ran out of gas on hard acceleration. The engine just nosed over around 4,000 rpm's, and if I let up on the throttle it caught and took off. I removed the Edelbrock and changed to a 780 Holley and performance went through the roof, with no gas flow problems! It easily added HP throughout the full rpm range, but especially on the mid to high end!
what kind of tires do you have? and do you have posi track?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427

Sounds like you need to change up your rear end suspension and keep those tires in the ground! Get yourself a four link setup that sticks it to the pavement!

I would completely disagree with the statement that you couldn't bolt anything on that increases HP. When I was running a 600 Eddy it was pretty horrible compared to the Holley 750 I put on. Got a cheap 750 off Ebay and rebuilt it and it was a huge difference. Plus you can slap full roller rockers on that are even the same ratio and see HP gains as well as tuned headers. Smaller cc heads with runners built for your cam, intake and carb will make huge amounts of HP if done right. Even putting a windage tray and crank scraper will help. There's numerous things you can do to get more HP.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jason7504
i was also thinking about NOS..like a 100-125 shot..what would i have to do besides getting a different intake manifold so i dont blow my engine?
Well I'm no expert,never had NOS on any of my cars but looking at the build specs it looks like a pretty stout motor so I don't think you'd need to do much more than have the intake plumbed for the NOS and have a good carb guy dial it in for ya.
You might want a little more carb like a 750 double pumper,the intake should be fine.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Y2K
Look at Camaro69's car with the dual carb tunnelram set up,something like that with the right cam can probably get you there or close but it's not going to be a good daily driver and it'll eat a lot of gas.
All the power will be top end high rpm making street driveability a problem at least in the context of a good daily driver.
Get you there...or beyond! But true, it's not a good setup for a d.d., which mine isn't.
And I beg to differ about the power band, with this type of engine anyway. The stroker motor is a torque monster by nature. And the tunnel ram helps to put h.p. in the upper rpm range. The engine pulls strong from the time the gas pedal gets mashed till max hp builds at around 5,500 rpm. I could tame it down some if I wanted to with a single 4 barrel setup, but I would lose twenty-some h.p. in the process. Oh yeah, and lose the "wow" factor too! A sleeper, it isn't.
As far as the gallons per mile rating, I disconnected the accelerator pump linkage on one of the carbs. So during around-town driving, she's not squirting as much fuel when the pedal gets pumped at low rpm driving.
However....when I strap on my lead lined right shoe and open all 8 barrels.......!!

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-21-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Y2K
Well I'm no expert,never had NOS on any of my cars but looking at the build specs it looks like a pretty stout motor so I don't think you'd need to do much more than have the intake plumbed for the NOS and have a good carb guy dial it in for ya.
You might want a little more carb like a 750 double pumper,the intake should be fine.
so i dont need a special intake for the plumbing of the NOS?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:51 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Get you there...or beyond! But true, it's not a good setup for a d.d., which mine isn't.
And I beg to differ about the power band, with this type of engine anyway. The stroker motor is a torque monster by nature. And the tunnel ram helps to put h.p. in the upper rpm range. The engine pulls strong from the time the gas pedal gets mashed till max hp builds at around 5,500 rpm. I could tame it down some if I wanted to with a single 4 barrel setup, but I would lose twenty-some h.p. in the process. Oh yeah, and lose the "wow" factor too! A sleeper, it isn't.
As far as the gallons per mile rating, I disconnected the accelerator pump linkage on one of the carbs. So during around-town driving, she's not squirting as much fuel when the pedal gets pumped at low rpm driving.
However....when I strap on my lead lined right shoe and open all 8 barrels.......!!
how much HP do you think yours makes? and TQ?

i would do something like yours if it wasn't my daily driver..but maybe i will when i get another car to drive as my daily driver

Old 07-21-2009, 01:38 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I haven't been able to get mine on a dyno yet, so I can neither confirm nor deny the results I got with D.D. 2003. I know, you can't take those numbers to the bank either, but at least it's a good reference point. And if numbers are off, I don't think it's by much.
Factoring all that's been done, calculations came up with 464 h.p. @ 5500 rpm, and torque of 496 @ 4500 rpm.
I also plugged in some different head options, and the AFR aluminum ones came out the best, taking h.p. slightly over the 500 mark. My wish list keeps growing!