how much HP do these usually add?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:43 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kyphur
Sounds like you need to change up your rear end suspension and keep those tires in the ground! Get yourself a four link setup that sticks it to the pavement!

I would completely disagree with the statement that you couldn't bolt anything on that increases HP. When I was running a 600 Eddy it was pretty horrible compared to the Holley 750 I put on. Got a cheap 750 off Ebay and rebuilt it and it was a huge difference. Plus you can slap full roller rockers on that are even the same ratio and see HP gains as well as tuned headers. Smaller cc heads with runners built for your cam, intake and carb will make huge amounts of HP if done right. Even putting a windage tray and crank scraper will help. There's numerous things you can do to get more HP.
the engine comes with roller rockers..1.6 i believe..how much HP do you think would be gained from the windage tray and crank scraper?

well i think im gonna go with a demon 650 carb just because its also my daily driver and dont wanna be using up to much gas, at least not all the time lol

Old 07-21-2009, 07:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jason7504
the engine comes with roller rockers..1.6 i believe..how much HP do you think would be gained from the windage tray and crank scraper?

well i think im gonna go with a demon 650 carb just because its also my daily driver and dont wanna be using up to much gas, at least not all the time lol
You have "steel roller TIPPED rockers" meaning that only the tips are rollers while the base are still ball socket style.

All a windage tray does is keep your crank from splashing in the oil as it spins. Ever run in the ocean just up to your knees? Then you know how much that can slow you down. It's the same principle. Crank scraper cleans the crank off as it spins and has to be cut specifically for your crank. I would leave that out of your build.

I went from a 600 Edlebrock to a 750 Holley and didn't see that much of a drop in MPG due to the fact that my engine was running more efficiently in the top end. That's where you're going to see that 600 fail. The engine's going to be starving and running lean in the top end if the carb can't deliver. You'll be saving a little bit of money on gas but in the end you'll be leaning out and damaging the engine. If you go that way with the 650 then after a highway run pull it over and pop the hood with it still running. You might see some header glowing action.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:13 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kyphur
You have "steel roller TIPPED rockers" meaning that only the tips are rollers while the base are still ball socket style.

All a windage tray does is keep your crank from splashing in the oil as it spins. Ever run in the ocean just up to your knees? Then you know how much that can slow you down. It's the same principle. Crank scraper cleans the crank off as it spins and has to be cut specifically for your crank. I would leave that out of your build.

I went from a 600 Edlebrock to a 750 Holley and didn't see that much of a drop in MPG due to the fact that my engine was running more efficiently in the top end. That's where you're going to see that 600 fail. The engine's going to be starving and running lean in the top end if the carb can't deliver. You'll be saving a little bit of money on gas but in the end you'll be leaning out and damaging the engine. If you go that way with the 650 then after a highway run pull it over and pop the hood with it still running. You might see some header glowing action.
the emailed Patriot and they said its an extra $140 for scorpian roller rockers and $175 for the windage tray because of the oil pan change..do you think its worth it?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

the emailed Patriot and they said its an extra $140 for scorpian roller rockers and $175 for the windage tray because of the oil pan change..do you think its worth it?

Only if you plan on a lot of racing,we got along fine for years without even roller tipped rockers and big lumpy solid lifter cams.
I'd say sure if you have lots of money to spend and it makes ya feel good but for a nice DD you want to hotrod a little with there's better places to spend the money like gas/oil and tires lol.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Y2K
Only if you plan on a lot of racing,we got along fine for years without even roller tipped rockers and big lumpy solid lifter cams.
I'd say sure if you have lots of money to spend and it makes ya feel good but for a nice DD you want to hotrod a little with there's better places to spend the money like gas/oil and tires lol.
lol well i dont plan on racing that much...dont those make the engine more efficient though by minimizing the friction?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

lol well i dont plan on racing that much...dont those make the engine more efficient though by minimizing the friction?
and how much HP do you think they would add?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

and how much HP do you think they would add?

Sure but when you start getting to a certain point more money spent gets you less and less bang for the buck.
If you are all out racing you need every little edge you can get,winning a race by thousandths of a second it can make the difference but how much do you want to spend to shave fractions of a second off your ET.
Racing engines get very expensive just for that reason,spending a bunch of money to gain a couple of hp on the street makes very little sense especially if you aren't racing a lot.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Y2K
Sure but when you start getting to a certain point more money spent gets you less and less bang for the buck.
If you are all out racing you need every little edge you can get,winning a race by thousandths of a second it can make the difference but how much do you want to spend to shave fractions of a second off your ET.
Racing engines get very expensive just for that reason,spending a bunch of money to gain a couple of hp on the street makes very little sense especially if you aren't racing a lot.
i guess that is true because spending money on little things like that wont get you alot of HP gain for your buck especially since i wont be racing that much but just out of curiosity how much HP do you think getting the scorpion full roller rockers and windage tray would add?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:24 AM

Hey jason, i think the roller rockers should give u approx. 10-12 xtra hp due to the decrease in friction. about the crank scraper?, not worth it for a daily-driver unless you tach that engine up to 5000-6000rpm all the time & if ya do, ur only gainin 2-3 hp! i dont think ya wanna do that on the street in 2nd gear all the time & still save gas!!! lol. but the rockers are a good idea, maybe a 1.6 ratio on the intake side.Just my 2 pennies.------BBZ---------

Old 07-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Default nos

nitrous is quickest way to get horse power and cheapest by far.system cost about 500 dollars new.Kit comes with everything you need to run up to 200hp,but i would not run more than a 100 shot,Have been shooting 150 shot in my stock 302 mustang for 2 yrs and engine still runs like new.System comes with plate that mounts under carb. with nitrous line hooked in back of plate and fuel coming in the front.Very easy installation.If it was me you could buy system and hook it up to engine you have in car now just to see how you like it push the button and hang on.Ford has forged pistons where chevrolet does not,So you can get away with a little more juice,but at a 100 shot you real deffinately feel a big differance.This is my opinion maybe wrong,Just know by what I have seen this is the way i would go.