LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

misfire at cruise

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok thats good. So I took the ICM off to test it again and the new one is fried again, that's number 3 for new ICMs. What would cause a ICM to keep frying the second I crank my engine?

Old 02-10-2013, 02:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

take the pcm out and look inside to see if you have any water damage and see if you have an aftermarket tune chip. tune chip can go bad.

93pcm
Name:  001qus.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  49.5 KB

prom with tune chip adapter
Name:  P2040008.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  37.6 KB

Old 02-10-2013, 07:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Nah it's still got the stock chip in it I'm pretty sure, I can check tomorrow after work tho. So do you think it would only be the chip or could the computer itself cause it too? I'm also planning on cleaning all my grounds tomorrow too.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i had moisture get into mine and it was doin some weird stuff. then i had a tune go bad and it did some really strange stuff. trans was shifting at odd times and engine was acting up. im sure it depended on where the damage or failing section was. keep an eye out for any damage to wires, if its fryin icm i would think theres voltage or ground where its not supposed to be somewhere.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well I went and cleaned all my grounds and checked the wires best I could, everything looked alright. If I was getting excess voltage to the ICM I would think that would have shown when I was testing all my connections tho. I went ahead and pulled out my prom chip and was rather surprised to see a hypertech chip attached, my car deff didn't feel like it had any more power or anything than any other camaros on the road. I didn't get a chance to put it all back together tho tonight it got waaay to windy get blowing my worklight down then would switch and blow the hood down on my head lol.

Attached Thumbnails misfire at cruise-image201302110002.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

take the chip out and see if that helps. not a fan of hyprtech

Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by oldschool72
tonight it got waaay to windy get blowing my worklight down then would switch and blow the hood down on my head lol.
Where are you at? It got really windy around my home tonight also with the winds randomly shifting around. Wonder if you are somewhere close.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Haha I'm in VA close to the border to WV. How bout you?

And yeah I've sold a ton of hypertech at work and never really heard anything about them but I looked on their website last night, apparently all the hypertech chip does for the 93 is tune it for higher octane so I guess 93 instead of 91. That's kinda rediculous to spend little over 200 bucks for a chip that barely changes anything.

But on the bright side I got her started! After cleaning all my grounds and taking the hypertech chip out she fired right up. I decided to put the chip back in just to see if it was the grounds that was the problem or the chip causing it. It still started up right away with the chip in so I guess I must have just got a bad ground connection somewhere. I did find out one of the mounting screws for the ICM was stripped so I had to tap out the base plate and put a slightly larger screw in but other than that everything had seemed fine. So for now I'm gonna drive it around and hope she doesn't die on me again.

If I get a tuned chip from solomon will I still need the tune chip adapter or will his just plug in where my original chip plugs in?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lose the hypertech chip. most just up the fuel. doesnt really add power but gives the feel of it. i have one here somewhere that was in my first 93. ran better without it. solomon uses the adapter in the pic i posted. i think you still get a re tune with each tune.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well so far the cars been running good. When I first started running it again I noticed I still had the same stuttering/misfire I had that started this thread so I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump since I already had ordered the Walbro. That pretty much completely fixed it. As soon as I put the new pump in she smoothed out but I still notice just a little bit of a misfire every now and then. Gonna replace the wires and take a look at my injectors next day I have off tho. Bad thing is literally right after replacing all that stuff my water pump started leaking out of where on of the metal hoses is pressed in and on of the heater hoses started leaking too. I fixed both those pretty easy but on the heater hose it was leaking on the plastic restrictor piece where it goes to the bottom of the water pump. I just cut the platic piece off and put a brass tee in place of it. Why is the restrictor there in the first place?

Quick Reply: misfire at cruise