LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

misfire at cruise

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

darn,,, sold my 93 msd distributor a while ago. when new engine was built i switched to 96 style opti and had a 93 dizzy with a couple k miles on it.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well that would have been nice haha. I went ahead and got a new distributor with msd cap and rotor, msd coil, and new ICM. Got it all back together today and still not starting. I checked the codes and got the same code 41 still. Is there anything else it could possibly be other than the ECM?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you follow the trouble chart for dtc 41 it should tell you if its a short or ecm.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You wouldn't happen to know where I could get my hands on a computer for a 93 would you? I was going to get one from advance since I work there but we couldn't order one. I was trying to get my hands on a used one tho.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

So I went out and started retesting all my connections yesterday. Back last week when I was originally testing the connections for the opti I kept getting on terminal "D" no connection to ground, which is why I was starting to assume I had a problem with the ECM. Well yesterday I went to check it again and now it's continuous to ground, so idk if maybe I just had a bad connection last week with my multimeter or what but terminal "D" does have a good ground so I wont be getting a new ECM yet lol. I tested the connections going to my coil tho and the pink wire in the grey connector coming from the ICM with key on has 12 volts. However the pink wire in the black connector which I'm assuming comes from the ignition key only had like .2 volts going to it with the key on. So my question is, how many volts are supposed to be coming to the coil from the switch? Also I looked in the under hood fuse panel and my car doesnt have a ignition fuse in there. The diagram on the cover shows where it should be but there isn't even and of the metal tabs in the spot that a fuse would go for a connection, plus my car was running fine without it before she died so does the 93 just not have that fuse and only use the one in the car?

Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear member

dude, no need to break down. Go to Advanced Auto. Get the opti with lifetime warranty. Thats what i got for 200 bucks. works great

Old 02-08-2013, 06:35 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you have a ground under the coil/icm check and clean it and make sure the wire ends are not damaged. there is also a ground strap that runs from there to the frame, make sure its connected. there is another ground for the ignition system on the side of the block in front of the starter, check and clean. you have a ground junction on the passenger side fenderwell, take them wires lose and wire brush the heck outa them as well. i have owned 2 93 z28s and they did not have the same fuse box setup so im not surprised yours is different. ignition fuse must be in the inside fuse box.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Would it be possible that the tach filter has gone bad? I was reading the reasons for a code 41 and it said the computer will throw the code if it detects more than 4.6 volts when engine speed is less than 1500 rpm. The diagnostics don't have anything about the tach filter causing the code to be thrown but idk how to test it and if it's saying the engine is at a different rpm than it really is I feel like that could possibly cause it. I don't really know much about it or if there's a way to test it.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

nope the tach filter is for the tach only, computer sees the voltage separate from the filter. if filter wire is grounding it would show low voltage

Quick Reply: misfire at cruise