LS Series Tech 1998-2002

New here. Just bought a camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Default New here. Just bought a camaro

Hey all,

My name is Mike and im from california. My wife needed a practial car with 4 seats. All of our cars are 2 seaters. So to get a 4 seater, we bought a 2002 Camaro SS. Its a fun car to drive. It also smokes my vette. Im new to the LS1 motor. I dont know anything about it. Any tips you can give me? My vette has an L98. So this is new technology to me. Paid 9K for this last friday. Any info you can tell me about my wifes car will be appriaced. First time in life that my wife drives a faster car than me.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Default more pics

Old 06-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Default Noob

Im in a corvette forum and a harley forum also. How many posts to loose the noob status?

Corvette Mike

Old 06-23-2009, 08:40 AM

You got a very nice lookin' car there. I love my 00 SS. I was blown away by the ride, handling and performance having owned every previous model of the camaro. For me, this car is a keeper as long as they still sell gasoline and I'm taking care of mine by fixing anything and everything that ever gets broken or worn out.

This is what I would have liked to know earlier:
1. If you find that your oil consumption is a bit more than you think it ought to be, its because there is a design flaw with the PCV system and oil travels through the line and gets sucked into your intake. There are a few folks selling an inline catch can (there's another name for it). This can also cause a bit of smoke once in a while when you really put your foot into it. It can make you believe that you need new rings. Usually there is nothing wrong with your car.
2. Find and download the tips for changing your spark plugs. The right bank is a real pain in the tail to do yourself.
3. When ever you come across an opportunity to purchace an OBDII engine code scanner for real cheap, get one. Just keep your eyes open. It'll save you a ton of cash.
4. This car is extreamly sensitive to the tires you put on it. NEVER buy a set of the Avon Techs -- they suck. They suck so bad that they will have you believing that your differential or driveshaft is going bad from the noise within 10K.
5. I had a long running problem with what is called tramlining -- the car is very sensitive to grooves worn into the road by heavy trucks. This was entirely caused by my front-end alignment and my choice of tires. I had people tell me that it was just the design of the car but it was not. Yes, the car does it a bit more than a Toyota Camry but it should not do it to the point that it feels dangerous. My current tires are the Kuhmo ASX. They are not as responsive as many of the high performance tires due to their side wall flex and this was immediately noticeable but the wet traction is phenominal. They feel a bit softer with the ride pushing toward being comfortable and they are quiet. For me, these are the best economy priced tires and they are certainly safer on a daily driver.

Enjoy your SS.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

I would say you got one hell of a deal man. Not bad at all.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:17 PM

Beautiful car Mike, I love it. How many miles are on it?

The reason I ask is I just looked at a 2002 Z28 tonight with 26,000 miles and he wants $14,000. It needs new tires, and he said he wouldn't budge on the price. There was even a couple dings and scratches. Seems like you got a much better deal.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:53 PM

You guys will love it! Congrats, the LS1 is a much lighter engine because it is an aluminum block, you guys will have a lot of fun!

And X-Ray thats a reasonable price, its hard to find em with lows miles like that!